The Tabata Method, How Often?

I’ve done it on the spinning bike 3X a week.
I never do Tabata with weights…that’s just me.

I am hoping for some guidance. How many times is normal if I am swinging an 8lb sledgehammer? I can get to about 20-21 per trial. Is one (or so) per second in keeping with the protocol?

jnd

Is anyone still doing tabata intervals? I started doing them about a month ago and my fat% has dropped by few % i think. I have done tabatas at home with burbees as the main exercise. I made tabata timer to help me with the timing problem. I uploaded it so everyone can use it. Check it out at

[quote]Nards wrote:
I never do Tabata with weights…that’s just me.[/quote]

That’s because nobody does Tabatas with weights. That is no longer a tabata.

I find the C2 rower to be excellent for Tabatas, if you have access to one. I prefer the movement to cycling and the heads up LCD display allows you to accurately monitor and control time and intensity, which keeps you honest. I’ve tried it with different things but really far prefer the C2 overall. Just make sure your rowing technique is at least halfway decent, for the sake of both your back and the machine.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I never do Tabata with weights…that’s just me.[/quote]

That’s because nobody does Tabatas with weights. That is no longer a tabata. [/quote]

Why? read some Dan John.

I haven’t done any tabatas with weights yet. Well that isn’t exactly true, if you count a 12lb sledgehammer or 12 lb medicine ball as weight (I usually think of weights as barbell/dumbbells). I have done burpee tabatas, punching bag and jump rope (sprint in place) tabatas as well. I have never thrown up while working out but nothing else has gotten me as close as tabatas do. I have done tabatas 3x a week. It is definitely doable, I guess depending on what kind of tabatas you are doing. I would imagine that working with weights would leave your muscles more sore (I will find out tonight). Also, check out RossTraining.com - Tabata Intervals for his take on tabatas.

Speaking from my experience and knowledge, the Tabata protocol works well with weights as well as more traditional “cardio” movements.

Of course, finding a weight that works is the tricky part :wink:

And if you’re just starting out with Tabata, especially with weights, it’s generally okay to do fewer rounds–in a few studies testing the protocol’s effectiveness, the range for maximum benefit was between 6 and 8 rounds, so no worries if you can’t make it to 8 just yet.

Hi! I ported the pc-version of the tabata timer to mobile phone version. All the values are configurable, so you can use it for other interval training methods aswell. It beeps between work and rest periods. Its free and works on all phones that has android 1.6 or higher installed. I hope you like it. If you find any bugs or have an improvement ideas just let me know.

Check it out at :

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.tabata.tabatatimer

Only once a week if you can do more, you def lacking intensity like other before mentioned.
I like doing:

• burpees
  • mountainclimbers

Hi

Thanks for the positive feedback :slight_smile:
I updated the android-version and added some sounds and the install to SD-support you mentioned. I also updated the starting interface. My pc crashed and i lost the signing key for the old one so i had the create new one to the market it is located at

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.tabata.tabatatimer_lite

I also made a pro-version that has a lot more features it is located at :

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.tabata.tabatatimer_pro

love the app Thrasheri, will be using it this week. cool stuff

Just done my first one in a long time. I did a ‘floor to ceiling movement’ (clean and press style) with a quite light vipr tube (33lbs) and kept to time by positioning myself under the gym clock.
Manged to get through all 8 cycles (just) but felt well weird about 10 minutes later in the shower–felt i was going to pass out !!.

once a week for one week. Then I went back to GVT squats. I need to give them a try again.

i currently do it 3 times a week, no big deal if you change your exercises each time. for example you do tabata one day and the other day you do burpees or tabata boxing, mountain climbers, sprint skipping.