The Swag (Urban Fashion)

I don’t really wear t-shirts. I usually wear real shirts, the kind with a collar (not popped) and buttons in the front. If it’s hot I’ll roll the sleeves up. It’s probably not cool, but I’m not gonna be a conformist like the rest of you.

[quote]JH wrote:
I don’t really wear t-shirts. I usually wear real shirts, the kind with a collar (not popped) and buttons in the front. If it’s hot I’ll roll the sleeves up. It’s probably not cool, but I’m not gonna be a conformist like the rest of you.[/quote]

You dress like me then. Conformist.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Can anyone say W-I-G-G-E-R?[/quote]

I’m black (well belizean) so what does that make me?

rap is shit. its all about techno

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Can anyone say W-I-G-G-E-R?

I’m black (well belizean) so what does that make me?[/quote]

I don’t know what it makes you. I was referring to Young O.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
theres a thread for just about everything on here so i figured why not make one for the young culture out there. this is pretty much about the latest urban culture in terms of music, fashion, or anything thats relevant to the flyer than you/swagger scene.

[/quote]

Marc Ecko FTW thx…

[quote]jtg987 wrote:

get on that z-ro[/quote]

I agree…

The Cool Kids are pretty schweet. I love how that stuff takes 2 years to get to the east coast.

I can afford it, I used to get red munky shit, all of that. but honestly i just can’t justify the expense in my mind lol. Like especially artful dodger how they have designs on the back of the jeans, you wear them 4-5x and its like “oh you’re wearing those again?”.

You need at least 14 diff pairs of jeans to rotate to at least make it look like you’re not always wearing the same pair.

Its hard for me to wrap my mind around buying some shit thats going out of fashion in like 10min.

moving along,
I still think he’s overhyped and that his style is “simple”. But I’m a fan, I have EVERY lil wayne mixtape but I have to run with this statement, Frankly I just feel that its true:

[quote]
I don’t think you can deny the talent of Lil Wayne although recently I feel he has taken a few steps backward (ie, Lolipop, California Love). [/quote]

I don’t know what it is, but its seems like he’s just not trying anymore.

The mixtapes between carter I & II show the progression in his style. Carter II was a masterpiece then he put out mixtape with DJ Drama Dedication II.

W-O-W.

I liked him before but after that shit he had a fan.

After he said, “weezy f baby, the mothafuckin carter, got bitches on my stick but my name aint harry potter”, I was sold.

Then I heard the amg remix of “cannon” and it was done.

and i’ll leave you with probably one of my fave lil wayne verses but you see what i mean by alliterations and assimilies.

Give a woman none…hu uh
I already gave my brothers some
It’s my sister turn
Aint it funny how the fish do burn
But ya boy just relax like a fresh new perm
Let the world and the barrel of the pistol turn
Boy we get it how we live never live and learn
Gotta talk about the flow cause u is concerned
Only down south rapper could’ve been in a firm
Or, the commission or a Wu Tang nigga
Tryna to tell you I can kick it like Lu Kang nigga
Got the sub zero flow how u on me ma
Make her get over here like Scorpion
And when it come down to this recoding
I must be Lebron James if he’s Jordan
No, I won rings with my performance
I’m more Kobe Bryant of an artist
Same coach, same game, been starting
Same triangle offense

I come through the lane like a dargin
Referee niggas is lame they call charging
I have no brain, I’m retarded
We are not the same I’m a Martian
You can be my Jane I’m your Tarzan
I’m from the jungle where the snakes is all poison
I am magnificent like Marcus
You might wanna fall back like August
Or late September, whateva you call it
I hit niggas in the head like Vonage
I am talking to no particular audience
But understand I’m a guardian
And understand there won’t be no guarding him
You will just get played like an accordion
I don’t give a damn if she’s bossy
I kept pussy running like a faucet
She betta catch like she’s Steve Larget
Because I’m whats up, like Martin

Xen if you got all the mixtapes i know you heard all these wayne tracks:

Always Strapped, Brand new, SCARFACE, sky is the limit,

and xen i know what you mean by you thinking hes not trying no more. I think its either he believes that whatever he says people would like it or that he just made hella songs and not all of them can be super duper fuper crazy.

I still think one of his best verses is on “We takin over”, “Scarface”, and on “Sky is the limit”

Also please tell me if you heard “Scarface” and “Always strapped”.i just want to know what you think of them.

And of course The Pack is sickk. Most of their shit is just like thizzin and weed music lol. like “Oh Go” was fuckin sick, and Stunnaman - “Drugs” is cleannnnnn.

and rainjack why are you reffering to me fag like you know me personally.

you guys have a good day.I love this thread

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I don’t care what vernacular speech patterns you have, but when you write like this, it makes you seem retarded. Just a suggestion, but you guys may want to consider writing less absurdly.[/quote]

LMAO at this nonsense. What is “vernacular speech patterns”? That literally does not make sense.

So someone here definitely may want to consider writing less absurdly.

LOL @ being called a wigger for this type of culture when a lot of it is influenced from skateboarding and japanese trends.

[quote]djwhizkid wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
theres a thread for just about everything on here so i figured why not make one for the young culture out there. this is pretty much about the latest urban culture in terms of music, fashion, or anything thats relevant to the flyer than you/swagger scene.

Marc Ecko FTW thx…[/quote]

Marc Ecko is alright, i have one of his shirts and i like what hes done with line. Ecko Unltd is fucking whack though and i refuse to wear it.

i still think TITS makes some of the best shit, i have 2 sick shirts from them:

http://www.karmaloop.com/popup/zoomtest.asp?ProductID=29587&VendorCode=TWOKB

http://www.karmaloop.com/popup/zoomtest.asp?ProductID=34947&VendorCode=TWOKB

anyway, as far as East Coast getitng shit late, maybe idk, but we on top of our fashion game seeing how the actual Karmaloop store is in Boston (one of the largest sites to cater to this style of clothing)

for the dude who said techno is where its at, i fuck with techno too, mostly hardstyle though. rap and techno have been collaberating lately though through what i like to call “club-hop” things like what Timberland is doing examples being “Love In This Club” “Way I Are” “Haters Everywhere”, a lot Jim Jone’s shit and this song which just came out (or i just heard), shit is hot

it blends in “Better Off Alone”

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:
I don’t care what vernacular speech patterns you have, but when you write like this, it makes you seem retarded. Just a suggestion, but you guys may want to consider writing less absurdly.

LMAO at this nonsense. What is “vernacular speech patterns”? That literally does not make sense.

So someone here definitely may want to consider writing less absurdly.[/quote]

I think someone needs to reacquaint himself with the definition of the word “vernacular”

LOL!!! I think Aleksandr is trying to say, “you guys should increase your vernacular vocabulary substantially, i do not appreciate this kind of language in forums such as these, please elaborate more throughly in your posts”

but yea techno is cleann i dont listen to a lot just whatever crosses me, but i love that ATB - ecstacy song that shit slapp.

Xen what part of cali u stay in???

[quote]Young O wrote:
LOL!!! I think Aleksandr is trying to say, “you guys should increase your vernacular vocabulary substantially, i do not appreciate this kind of language in forums such as these, please elaborate more throughly in your posts”

but yea techno is cleann i dont listen to a lot just whatever crosses me, but i love that ATB - ecstacy song that shit slapp.

Xen what part of cali u stay in???[/quote]

What I’m saying is that reverting to stereotypical slang when discussing stereotypical clothing is patronizing, demeaning, and offensive, especially if that’s not how you typically speak.

Young O: outside of los angeles, moving to the OC in august.

Aleksandr…

please re-read my initial post. the amount of slang i used is minimal. And quite frankly you’re a fool if you don’t think saying “Certainly” is a better idea than “oh fa sho” in a business setting. Just like you do not use contractions in an essay, i’m not going to use slang in business interactions.

Thats just the way the world is. There are consequences for actions. You might think paying taxes is unconstitutional but if you don’t pay them you will go to jail. Plain and simple.

Likewise, I know clearly who I am, what I like, and my musical preference… but I also know what is appropriate to survive in the corporate world and I’m not going to be foolish enough to believe life is some sort of queen latifah movie where i can act like a ghetto protagonist and make all the “whiteys hip to my new jive lingo” or some bullshit.

stereotypical slang? no. its just slang

stereotypical clothing? Hell, i was just discouraging them earlier from being hype beasts …which is slang for jumping on whatever fashion is “cool” at the time.

I spend more time speaking my “patronizing, demeaning, and offensive” slang than I do utilizing my corporate speak.

That said, I make sure to have practical application of my verbal advantage in linguistics DAILY.

And I pair it with my common lingo because it’s comfortable to me.

You can just admit it. You don’t agree with the subject matter and thats fine. Hell, we can discuss that. But don’t try to nitpick on some bullshit bullet point about me being ‘offensive’ because I can speak eloquently in whichever environment i choose… from the street to the boardroom.

you were just trying to give me the okie doke and distract from the point that you probably just think the subject matter of the current discussion is stupid.

Again you’re entitled to your opinion.

But attacking the way I speak by insinuating that I’m uneducated?

Get the fuck outta here.

anyway,

scarface is on my ipod, good gym song (for me)

marc ecko is pretty fresh,very high quality, the designs are “meh” but real high quality.

ecko unlimited is basically their lowlevel jcpenny stuff. so i don’t expect much from them.

and NYC is ALWAYS on the edge of fashion and music I’ve never heard about them getting music late. Especially now of days… shit everyone has a myspace.

Probably THE best networking tool out if you’re a music artist. That’s how the cool kids got popular. point blank period.

anyway whoever said juelz is should be mad for lil wayne kinda bitin his style… i agree. But you have to admit that the style is easily copied its just assimilies and alliterations, its so simple its stupid but the creativity of the bars themselves is what sets lil wayne apart.

anyway if you guys are ever in socal in the westwood area check this place out…

http://www.hrlife.com/

and message me i might let you drop my name and get a discount lol :wink:

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
LOL @ being called a wigger for this type of culture when a lot of it is influenced from skateboarding and japanese trends.

[/quote]

and european techno scene, also late 70’s, 80’s, and early 90’s shit.
there’s a reason retro jordans are so popular.

leave it to the cool kids they’ll have people rockin pagers again.

in all honesty the trend lines have crossed so much the things that seperate a skater from a hip hop kid and a emo kid are basically just your hairstyle and how tight your jeans are.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Young O: outside of los angeles, moving to the OC in august.

Aleksandr…

please re-read my initial post. the amount of slang i used is minimal. And quite frankly you’re a fool if you don’t think saying “Certainly” is a better idea than “oh fa sho” in a business setting. Just like you do not use contractions in an essay, i’m not going to use slang in business interactions.

Thats just the way the world is. There are consequences for actions. You might think paying taxes is unconstitutional but if you don’t pay them you will go to jail. Plain and simple.

Likewise, I know clearly who I am, what I like, and my musical preference… but I also know what is appropriate to survive in the corporate world and I’m not going to be foolish enough to believe life is some sort of queen latifah movie where i can act like a ghetto protagonist and make all the “whiteys hip to my new jive lingo” or some bullshit.

stereotypical slang? no. its just slang

stereotypical clothing? Hell, i was just discouraging them earlier from being hype beasts …which is slang for jumping on whatever fashion is “cool” at the time.

I spend more time speaking my “patronizing, demeaning, and offensive” slang than I do utilizing my corporate speak.

That said, I make sure to have practical application of my verbal advantage in linguistics DAILY.

And I pair it with my common lingo because it’s comfortable to me.

You can just admit it. You don’t agree with the subject matter and thats fine. Hell, we can discuss that. But don’t try to nitpick on some bullshit bullet point about me being ‘offensive’ because I can speak eloquently in whichever environment i choose… from the street to the boardroom.

you were just trying to give me the okie doke and distract from the point that you probably just think the subject matter of the current discussion is stupid.

Again you’re entitled to your opinion.

But attacking the way I speak by insinuating that I’m uneducated?

Get the fuck outta here.

[/quote]

Actually, I assumed you were a white kid from the burbs, to be honest. I had not assumed you were uneducated at all. And most of what I listen to is hip hop, so no, I don’t that that aspect of the conversation is stupid. Also, it was mostly the OP’s posts that I thought were silly. I agree, yours did not contain that much slang. I suspect that, being black, you were probably hypersensitive to the comment. It seems you misinterpreted what I was saying; sorry about that.

As for the clothing being discussed, I do have a problem with it being called “urban”. I live in the very downtown core of Toronto, and the only people that I ever see dressed like that are obviously from the suburbs, coming downtown to “floss”, as we used to say in my day. I would describe it as a very suburban style, indeed.

And Xen, I totally agree with you about what Kanye’s inspirations are. But I would modify it from “white guys in Europe” to "people that look like they are successful. I think people spend too much time worrying about what’s “cool” and too little time actually considering what looks good. Once you make that adjustment, you go from “Urban fashion” to “fashion”, and looking good looks good everywhere. The OP said this thread isn’t about khakis from the gap or something. It wasn’t long ago that that’s exactly the look Sean Combs had. Fast forward a few years and take a good at his line.

And $200 jeans? That’s a topic for another day.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:
I don’t care what vernacular speech patterns you have, but when you write like this, it makes you seem retarded. Just a suggestion, but you guys may want to consider writing less absurdly.

So someone here definitely may want to consider writing less absurdly.

I think someone needs to reacquaint himself with the definition of the word “vernacular”[/quote]

I know what “vernacular” means. You might. But I don’t think you know how to use it properly. You used it as an adjective for “speech patterns.” At best, that’s redundant. At worst, it’s gibberish.

You need to improve your vernacular’s lexicon. Or is it lexicon’s vernacular? Or neither? Or both?

In any event, if you’re going to lecture people on usage, make sure your own usage is proper.

Me? I don’t really care how people “speak.” This is a freaking Internet forum, not Shakespeare in the Park.