"The Suck"

[quote]pookie wrote:
PGA wrote:
The movie wasnt that bad, Pook! Most of the people who were turned off by it are the ones that thought it was going to be an all out war movie.

It’s a movie about a guy who can’t stop whining and complaining all the time about everything.

[/quote]

Is the book written by Anthony Swofford?

If I am thinking of the right book I thought he was full of shit.

Of course I am not a marine so I may be wrong.

I think Swoff embelished a lot of stuff too, but the portrayal of the monotony of waiting when all you want to do is fight was dead on in my opinion.

B.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
pookie wrote:
PGA wrote:
The movie wasnt that bad, Pook! Most of the people who were turned off by it are the ones that thought it was going to be an all out war movie.

It’s a movie about a guy who can’t stop whining and complaining all the time about everything.

Is the book written by Anthony Swofford?

If I am thinking of the right book I thought he was full of shit.

Of course I am not a marine so I may be wrong.[/quote]

You are correct. He is full of shit. Terrible book, I assume the movie is the same.

If you want to read a good book about Marines in Iraq, read “Shooter” by GySgt. Jack Coughlin or “One Bullet Away” by Nathaniel Fick.

Jody (or Jodie) is a guy who fucks a guys wife or girlfriend while he is away serving.

Pretty fucking low (assuming he was told).

[quote]pookie wrote:
PGA wrote:

[/quote]

That and going nuts at the slightest thing. The whole story struck me as a guy trying to make his very dull Gulf War I service sound more like a Vietnam war tale.

[quote]The Beast wrote:
pookie wrote:
PGA wrote:

That and going nuts at the slightest thing. The whole story struck me as a guy trying to make his very dull Gulf War I service sound more like a Vietnam war tale.[/quote]

Couldn’t have said it better. I kept waiting for something to happen, but it didn’t. Self-made “hero”.

When multiple bad things happen with a lot to work through, it’s a “suck fest”

“Embrace the Suck” used often when things really blow. Like after being cooped up in an armored vehicle for 6 hours in 125 degree heat driving cross country with inadequate ventilation. Many Americans have no idea what that would be like, and assume it’s exaggeration and would kill someone. But it doesn’t, because your body gets used to it.

We had guys who wore little Velcro patches made with “Suck meters” on them. The needle was permanently in the red (maxed out).

Most of the guys I respect and have had to “embrace the suck” with laugh it off at the time, because it really is ridiculous how much it can suck. But you get through it, and it doesn’t last forever.

It’s a good gut-check.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
If you want to read a good book about Marines in Iraq, read “Shooter” by GySgt. Jack Coughlin or “One Bullet Away” by Nathaniel Fick.

[/quote]

Nate Fick is an honorable guy. He’s continued to do good work since getting out of the “The Suck”.

http://www.nathanielfick.com/author/author.asp

[quote]PGJ wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, here is a link to a review of Jarhead by Fick:

http://www.nathanielfick.com/more/Slate11-9-05.pdf

Also they called men “Jodies” or “Jodys.” whats the definition of that?[/quote]

jody is the guy banging your girlfriend from home while your away in the service