T Nation

"The Suck"

Watching Jarhead for the 3rd time and I cant figure out the meaning for it. The net doesnt give me a good explanation or any for that matter. Is it just slang for war or Iraq or what?

Marines help!

Uh, the meaning for what? The term Jarhead? It was the haircut + their helmets in WWII looking like jars.

Unless you mean the underlying meaning of the movie, which uh… I didn’t think was all that underlying.

Meaning of what? The word “Jarhead?” It’s just a nickname for a Marine.

I had “The Suck” as the original title. The system didnt recognize it and the mods inserted in a different title.

“The Suck” is what I was asking about.

Meaning of the word “Suck”. No one knows where it came from. It’s just a term for the Marine Corps itself.

I believe taht PGA is refering to the term “The Suck” which is used throughout the movie. Hence the title of the post.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Watching Jarhead for the 3rd time and I cant figure out the meaning for it. The net doesnt give me a good explanation or any for that matter. Is it just slang for war or Iraq or what?

Marines help![/quote]

Hmmm, I really don’t know, but I didn’t read that much into it.

I just figured that it sucked over there, so when they said something like “welcome to the suck”, I figured they were just describing the situation they were in, rather than something specific to the Marines.

An actual armed service member can feel free to correct me though.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
PGA wrote:

Marines help!

Hmmm, I really don’t know, but I didn’t read that much into it.

I just figured that it sucked over there, so when they said something like “welcome to the suck”, I figured they were just describing the situation they were in, rather than something specific to the Marines.

An actual armed service member can feel free to correct me though.[/quote]

I’ve heard this term for at least a year or more. It isn’t much different than people typing “pwned”. Someone probably said it funny once and everyone just kept it up.

suck = extremely taxing, as in whipping your ass
(e.g. 26 mile road march in full gear)

I thought “The Suck” pretty well resumed the movie itself. The only thing I enjoyed about it was the a cappella theme song.

[quote]pookie wrote:
I thought “The Suck” pretty well resumed the movie itself. The only thing I enjoyed about it was the a cappella theme song.
[/quote]

The movie wasnt that bad, Pook! Most of the people who were turned off by it are the ones that thought it was going to be an all out war movie.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I’ve heard this term for at least a year or more. It isn’t much different than people typing “pwned”. Someone probably said it funny once and everyone just kept it up.
[/quote]

Well “teh sucks” is an internet/video game slang term. In the movie it looks like it has a more significant meaning. Not saying its a mysterious piece just something I didnt know the meaning of, still dont.

Also they called men “Jodies” or “Jodys.” whats the definition of that?

PGA

Here is a link to a writer putting together a collection of GI slang. I haven’t gone thru all of it but maybe the “suck” is in there.

Some oldies but goodies in the comments section.

http://austinbay.net/blog/?p=1534

“Embrace the Suck” is a term used by the soldiers to describe how they deal with difficult situations. Ie., just put your head down and move forward.

So I guess The Suck is a difficult situation.

I generally hear the term used to replace the word ‘sucky.’

i.e.
Instead of “Well, that was sucky”

You might say, “Well, that was the suck.”

I’ve never really heard it used to replace a noun like that. Chances are the writer was trying to use the ‘hip’ language he hears his children use without fully understanding it.

Whatever the suck originally meant, it became just a term for the Marine Corps itself, at least that’s what it was when I was enlisted.

Jody is like Sancho. It’s a term for a man that sleeps with/hooks up with attached women. For example, Marines should be worried about “Jody” taking their girl while away on duty.

I understood Jody to be the girls that left the guys in service. They had a bulletin board of with pics of everyone’s Jody.

I liked that movie a lot.

“The Suck” is a term the author used to describe the Marine Corps in general. I have been a Marine for 14 years and have never heard a Marine use that term myself. There is an old saying that “a bitching Marine is a happy Marine”. Marines love to bitch and complain.

There are many times in a Marine’s career when he says to himself “this sucks ass, bad”, but we wouldn’t have it any other way. We are famous for doing very hard things, simply because they are hard. You really have to be a Marine to understand this mentality.

Personally, I didn’t see the movie because the book was so bad. The author is a puss. I don’t believe half the crap he said in the book.

[quote]PGA wrote:
The movie wasnt that bad, Pook! Most of the people who were turned off by it are the ones that thought it was going to be an all out war movie.[/quote]

It’s a movie about a guy who can’t stop whining and complaining all the time about everything.