The Suck

I dont know how many of you guys have had to deal with any degree of isolation before, but it is definitely something I wouldnt wish on anybody. It is entirely possible that I am just being over sensitive, but I am a fairly social person and like to be around others.

I am currently between semesters (and leases) at school so I am at home for the summer working at a bank as a teller. My town is fairly small and nearly all of my friends have done the smart thing and gotten out of here. Ill admit my outlook on things is pretty bad since I have very little desire to really be friends with any of the people near my age that are still around here.

I am working 40-50 hours a week at the bank (not a stimulating job) and spending the rest of my time eating, lifting (at the weakest, most globogym facility I have ever set foot in), and sitting around at home. I have spent a lot of time reading and have so far gone through about 12 training and nutrition ebooks. I have 6 more weeks of this to deal with and then I will be moving into my new house at school.

Has anyone had a similar experience and how did you deal with it?

Pick up a new hobby. Stamp collecting has always been intriguing.

Seriously though, finding another hobby is probably the way to go.

Chop wood, carry water.

Wow, it’s like you are reading my life. I live in a village, most of my friends have moved away, work in finance, I work out at home, but then it’s kind of different.

I like isolation, I like alone.

But to answer your question, usually small towns have things going on. Darts nights, softball leagues, etc. Might be worthwile to join up with something. Or even volunteer your time.

I am in the same situation man. Actually I don’t even have a job. I read about neuroscience all day. I’ve learned more this past month than probably a semester at university.

I do go to the bar on weekends though.

Well…Im three weeks away from being able to go to bars. You guys have to remember, I live in South Carolina…the only things we have going on are competitions to see who can get their truck stuck in the mud the fastest, golf, and horse races.

I am considering spending some money and buying the textbook for a pt certification and just going through that and learning everything I dont already know and maybe finally coughing up the cash so I can get certified.

The one thing that this summer has definitely done for me is convinced me that I need to make my last year of school count so that I can get out of this town and away from banking.

Pretend like you’re in prison. Train twice a day, eat a lot, read a shit load of books.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Pretend like you’re in prison. Train twice a day, eat a lot, read a shit load of books. [/quote]

check.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Pretend like you’re in prison. Train twice a day, eat a lot, read a shit load of books. [/quote]

Or, rob the bank you work and go to prison for real. How many people can look back on life and say they robbed a bank?

One summer I moved to a small town to take a summer coop job, which didn’t involve much interaction with anyone else and I didn’t know anyone there at all.

I rented a room in a house, and I was only one there during the whole summer, (except for the beetles that used to fall on my head at night). I didn’t have any tv and just had dial up internet… needless to say it was a pretty lame summer.

For excitement I would drive back and forth down main street and fuck around with the car I had at the time. Going to the shitty gym in town was the highlight of my day.

Try living around one of the biggest schools in the city and not being invited to anything, ever. That is a real kick in the balls. I bore myself, so interaction is good; though, when no one wants to interact with you…

You only have to work 40-50 hours of week.

You get to spend the rest of the time eating, training and sitting around while Mom and Dad still take care of you. It might be a weak ass gym, but iron in a kick ass gym weighs the same as in your gym.

You get to spend a lot of time reading about a hobby you enjoy instead of shit your university shoves down your throat.

You are being sensitive. Your life sounds like a nice vacation.

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
You only have to work 40-50 hours of week.

You get to spend the rest of the time eating, training and sitting around while Mom and Dad still take care of you. It might be a weak ass gym, but iron in a kick ass gym weighs the same as in your gym.

You get to spend a lot of time reading about a hobby you enjoy instead of shit your university shoves down your throat.

You are being sensitive. Your life sounds like a nice vacation.

[/quote]

I was expecting something like this.

I know Iv got it easy, Im not arguing against that. The frustration arises more from a lack of friends in the area and things to do outside of eating/sleeping/working/lifting/reading.

It also comes from knowing that my friends who have managed to get out of this town are all enjoying what may very well be my last summer of not being a complete adult. Kind of feels like I am squandering it and I havent figured out how to make the best of the situation yet.

Like I said, I am a very social person and I feel best when I am in the company of others. I know people that would love to be in my position and spend the summer as a hermit, but for me, its maddening.

This is exactly the stuff you won’t get to do when you get out in the real world. Enjoy it while it last. You are not squandering anything. Hell pick up a book to grow your mind a little and sit on the back porch drinking a cold beer.

Enjoy your parents. Someday they won’t be here and you will wish you could spend the summer with them.

You have the rest of your life to socialize.

I’m jealous!

it is a very nice life really.

I wont go into my crap cause well I wont just deal with what you got

I myself am going outside at 10 pm in the middle the desert to lift weights cause its too damned hot during the day now

I completely see where you’re coming from Stronghold… I’m home for the summer as are a lot of my friends from high school… but I have barely seen anyone at all. Half of them I realized I never really liked in the first place and the other half… well we’re always “busy” and everyone is doing their own thing it seems so I have not too much contact with my peers and it’s strange and I can sympathize with the “squandering” feeling. I’m working and training and eating and reading and whatnot and I stay pretty content.

Try to enjoy it the best you can.

you have to work a lot, have little extra time for social stuff, and it is a grind. that sounds a lot like…adult life?

Spend some free time outdoors. If it too hot to be active just sit and read. Road trip on weekends, you must have college buddies within reasonable distance.

Go to a concert, beach, white water rafting, whatever. It will give you something to look forward to.

You are in transition mode from being a kid to being an independent adult and spending time in your parents house feels like you are stagnant or even moving backwards.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Spend some free time outdoors. If it too hot to be active just sit and read. Road trip on weekends, you must have college buddies within reasonable distance.

Go to a concert, beach, white water rafting, whatever. It will give you something to look forward to.

You are in transition mode from being a kid to being an independent adult and spending time in your parents house feels like you are stagnant or even moving backwards.

[/quote]

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

The word stagnant is a good adjective for how I feel…I am extremely restless and I havent found a suitable outlet for that around here yet.

Dont get me wrong, I spend time with my folks, but for me, there is a very large difference between spending time with my parents and time with my friends.