The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

@pfury this just hit me. What if all the alt righters miss understood Trump about 4D Chess. What if he just doesn’t understand bra sizes and meant “4D chest”?

Then it would all make sense.

7 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

I don’t know whether this is stupid or just plain sad. I do know this based on personal experience, our education system is terrible and the study of history and geography are going the way of the dinosaur .

2 Likes

The Holocaust gets outsized attention in the western cultural consciousness. Over 70 million people died in WW2. Most of them weren’t soldiers. Yet the Holocaust deaths easily get ten times the attention of the other civilian deaths. What percentage of Millenials can tell you how many Russian or Chinese Civilians were killed in wartime atrocities? I suspect it’s not one in ten. Yet over half of them know how many Jews Hitler gassed.

And World War II wasn’t the first or the last time unfathomable numbers of people were killed for goals they had nothing to do with or say about.

1 Like

You can play the “What About My Atrocity?” game until the cows come home.

I don’t think it is unreasonable at all to draw special attention to our species’ latest attempt to systematically exterminate such a large population of their neighbors.

4 Likes

I won’t debate which were worse, but the methodical implementation of industrial processes is what stands out to me about Hitlers attempt to exterminate the Jews.

A guy I did some work for was Hungarian and his family fled to the US because of the atrocities being committed in his country. He came over, signed up in the Army for WWII and went back to fight. He said that upon seizing some state buildings in Budapest, giant industrial meat grinders were found in the basement which were used to dispose of people and flush them right into the Danube.

Its not like combat or the elements or famine. The industrial disposal of people seems just so devoid of humanity that it really is hard to imagine.

8 Likes

Exactly my point. Why do we draw so much attention to the Holocaust if it isn’t the largest or the most recent?

The industrialization of the Holocaust is quite perplexing, mostly because it seems to demonstrate that it was about more than just killing Jews, but I can’t actually figure out what. Gas chambers and meat grinders and concentration camps aren’t really necessary for killing large numbers of people. Machine guns would be enough.

I’m not trying to suggest that the Holocaust isn’t an important bit of history or that it isn’t absolutely horrifying. I’m just not sure why the details of the Holocaust are one of those central pieces of history that everyone should know (which is essentially what the story and survey are suggesting). The sheer amount of fascinating and important bits of history that are basically lost in obscurity (or just literally lost) is obscene.

What makes the Holocaust so important to American students of history?

Agree,this is the education you get when a country doesn’t care enough about their children or their teachers. The teaching profession in the United States is not respected or valued. The state of Oklahoma pays a teacher with 20 years experience around 40 thousand. 20 years for 40 thousand?

IMHO, its just a indicator of the decline of the teaching of history. I can think of numerous atrocities , massacres , blood driven dictators. How many people, unless they actually read something besides FaceBook or Twitter would even recognize : Genghis Khan, Idi Admin, Pol Pot, Burundi, Sarajevo, or even Aleppo? I just see it as a sign of societal decline. We place no value on history, I mean how many social media teens want to be history teachers? and basically live on a paupers salary?

2 Likes

There is a reason why the Germans decided on gas chambers as opposed to machine guns, which they did use at first. Ironically, if you actually read some history, you would know why.

One reason why we learn about the Holocaust more than some other historical atrocity, is that it is part of American history. You learn about the Civil War, you learn about slavery. You learn about WW2, you learn about the Holocaust.

Another reason why we learn about it is because it was quite recent. Some of the factors that contributed to it still exist. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion are still around and still promoted as real by some groups as well as some countries.

The real issue with teaching the Holocaust is that it isn’t taught properly and thoroughly enough to really put it in the proper historical perspective. It’s taught as some isolated German or worse, Nazi thing, as if no other countries shared some degree of culpability.

Cafe Press won’t sell designs with guns in them…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhl2Aaahfln/

1 Like

Boobies will still be ok.

I suspect you know the answer. It’s the same reason North Korea apparently made the video I have posted.

Are you trying to be ironic, or just anti-Semitic?

A decline from when though? I “learned” that ghengis Khan existed in school but no more than the current generation. I just rattled off those names to my dad and he said “oh I know the Khan guy. Isn’t he the guy that raped a bunch of people?”

Were we teaching history to that extent 100 years ago? Or at any time period when education was commonplace?

100% agree on the low teacher pay thing, but it’s a natural biproduct of people like my people consistently treating teachers like shit and undermining the value of education

Huh? The United States draws attention to the Holocaust in order to paint itself in the most positive possible light. All countries do it.

Frankly, the Holocaust has never particularly interested me, but now you have my attention. Enlighten me.

I think it was supposed to be less traumatic for the executioners.

That makes little sense. Why do we draw attention to slavery?

For some it was traumatic. For others they enjoyed it, which raised other issues such as the creation of psychopaths. They all had a choice however as German soldiers were not forced to participate in mass executions.

Two reasons:

1. The United States can claim to have gone to war to end it.
  2. To paint secession in a bad light.