The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

You can’t make this shit up.

In their defense, since there are very few guns over there, knife attacks are a much bigger problem. For example London is outpacing New York (which are both the same size) in murder rate for the first time ever, all due to stabbings. Once they’ve clamped down on all pointy objects, and murders start using baseball bats instead, it will be good to finally see some serious blunt assault object (which I would guess means anything reasonably rigid which you could hit someone with) legislation.

It’s the UK - they’d use cricket bats…that is all :wink:

2 Likes

The British Isles has a long history of peasants armed with blunt weapons (because they couldn’t afford, or weren’t allowed to have swords).

Bring on the quarter staffs, cudgels, shillelaghas, morning stars, saps, warhammers etc…

download%20(6)

1 Like

EPIC. Some of my best childhood memories (and worst injuries)!

1 Like

Gonna have to legislate fists and knees then…

Oh God, you’re not joking. I got a very early acquaintance with road rash and busted knees/arms…

I remember when a friend bet me $1 (a lot of money to a 10 y.o. in the early 1970s) that I wouldn’t jump a ramp (as it wasn’t much more that 10 inches high, I’m using the term ramp loosely) that had been set on fire (ie, had lighter fluid splashed on it and set ablaze). Good times…

8 Likes

Big Evel Knievel fans were ya?

2 Likes

Ya, I’m sure that’s where the inspiration came from. He was a god back then.

2 Likes

Still is in Butte, America haha

1 Like

Somehow his stupidity did society a favor.

Yeah he was! A friend of mine had the Evil Knievel bike. He rode it down a sliding board at the playground and got annihilated!

3 Likes
6 Likes

Among other evils which being unarmed brings you, it causes you to be despised.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

That quote doesn’t mean what you think it means. He wasn’t referring to an armed citizenry but an armed government that wants people to be obedient.

I’ve read The Prince twice. I know exactly what it means. It was quoted tounge in cheek. But voluntarily helpless unarmed people are to be despised as much as the unarmed city-states he’s referring to.

In fact Macchiavelli advocated either leaving peasants alone or oppressing them so harshly they couldn’t take vengeance on you. So he likely wouldn’t have advocated private “arms” (weapons of war). I doubt he’d mind a peasant carrying a pig sticker.

Of course the Italians at that time settled their personal disputes with swords. There’s many quotes about the practice of arms being beautiful from him.

He did not personally advocate that. The Prince is not meant to be taken as his personal opinion on how things should be. I have read it many more times than twice, along with his Discourses, letters and other writings. I am Italian after all.

@cwill1973 and @bigjeff68

@ California’s Dangerous Coffee.

This was a pithy little letter to the editor, WSJ, April 5, 2018

With regard to “California Judge Rules for Coffee Warning” (U.S. News, March 30), I submit that the massive presence of Proposition 65 warning signs has led to sensory overload for California residents and visitors. They are akin to Chicken Little yelling that the sky is falling. Strictly anecdotally, I don’t even notice the omnipresent signs any more. Why doesn’t California save businesses the cost of all the signage, spare residents and visitors the visual pollution and post one sign at each entry point into the state reading: “Warning: Living in or visiting California might be hazardous to your health.”

2 Likes