The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

They can’t even teach those kids how to read.

Agree with this part wholeheartedly.

Too many people these days are so keen on turning their young kid into a young adult as fast as possible. My joke about teen pregnancy and test scores was only half joking. We’re forcing following generations into adulthood then we lose our minds when they start doing adult things.

Oh, you clearly out educate me on the raising of children. You’ve really proven yourself to know exactly how to raise the perfect child.

If you are going to try to get in on the insults, at least don’t make them strawmen. I’m not particularly good at talking to girls. My chief qualification in offering advice to you is that I’m not scared of them.

And you think that a school dance is turning them into adults?

Only in PWI…

2 Likes

only in threads with raj…

2 Likes

I completely disagree. We are teaching kids how to be an adult, without teaching them how to handle those situations. The issue isn’t putting them in adult situations, it’s not giving them the tools to make good decisions. My strong opinion is that this is the responsibility of the parents.

Nah, but I can definitely see the logical step to get there with the context of how dances change as kids grow up (eg, I’d disagree re: the dances my 6 yr old attends but agree re: Jr high dance my Brother in laws younger brother just attended locally).

Disclaimer, my “forcing kids into adulthood” comment was more of a societal comment than specific to dances.

Example. There’s a rich white suburb of my metro area that issues laptops to all students starting in 5th grade. They’re MacBooks that will run the parent just north of 2k USD if you were to lose/break it. Refusing the laptop is NOT an option, as nearly every teacher issues homework/quizzes/etc on it.

To me, putting a 10 yr old in charge of something worth more than most people’s paychecks is forcing them into an adult situation when their priorities should be experiencing life as a 10 yr old. The added stress of something like that (imo) isn’t something we should be doing to kids.

You really missed that one. I talk to women, not girls, you creep.

We let kids ride on their parents health insurance until they’re like 30 now…

Seems like probably a wash to me.

You shouldn’t hold onto internet grudges.

Forgive me for my semantics. In my dotage I refer to females in your age bracket as girls.

Grudge? I happen to find you entertaining in a watching a monkey with a computer sort of way.

You do realize that that doesn’t make you look any less creepy.

I think you taking it that way says more about you. I deal with and talk to people in the real world. Teenagers included.

You were the one who offered me dating advice to pick up kids.

giphy%20(44)

Not me for once, ya!

4 Likes

Exactly. Clearly this dance means a lot to the adults as they find it so important that they need to impose their whims upon children.

Dating advice? Picking up people? wow, you have some sort of dark imagination. I was offering advice on how to get through life in social contact with others. For example I’d advise you to drop the chauvinist sexism a bit when talking to the opposite sex.

Maybe some more dance type events in school could help you out a bit. You could try going to the next one your school offers.