The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

DHS flies commercial? Something almost karmic about that

1 Like

Some guy who works for them, who I hope is being chastised heavily for this, did.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t sure where to put this. Itā€™s not really ā€œstupidā€ but itā€™s stupid that itā€™s thought to be a necessity.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s really stupid are the savings rates of most americans. A 12% annual return on nothing is nothing. I should know, I invested everything into a small biz that tanked completely. Whoops. Net worth is finally >0 in February, but just barely.

3 Likes

Ya, man, itā€™s crazy. I would have a hard time not at least setting aside enough to get the company match. Itā€™s like someone is trying to hand you money and youā€™re like, nah, Iā€™m good. WTF!!!

2 Likes

Much of my generation is like that. Its mind numbingly stupid

2 Likes

Yea, but you took a risk you knew could blow up. Some people donā€™t even take the non risk savings avenue (FDIC insured savings account) with a negative effective return (thanks inflation).

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what generation you are from, but this really isnā€™t a generational thing. Relative to remaining time to retirement, most generations are actually doing really badly at this.

1 Like

My generation tends to lose that ā€œI didnā€™t know betterā€ mentality as personal finance knowledge is very widely accessible and easily verified, with a huge push AWAY from scummy Charles Schwab esque salespeople, especially compared to prior generations.

Edit: also iirc statistically more employers are offering better 401k benefits than ever before, but Iā€™d have to dig around to find that old article, so grain of salt

LOL. That awkward moment when youā€™re so rich you try to call a judgeā€™s bluff. Govt waves around a pretty big stick buddy

Not sure where to post this. The article itself is fine. The schoolā€™s policy, however, is stupid.

Elementary schools have dances? I think thatā€™s the first problem.

You have piqued my interest with this commentā€¦

Yes, please elaborate

Damn it, someone make a clever footloose joke! Iā€™m struggling this morningā€¦ (goes to the coffee machine).

While Indian and Chinese kids are learning math our priorities are social occasions.

I recently worked with a 5th grader originally from Uzbekistan who speaks 5 languages. But dances are important too.

Yeaā€¦ but does Uzsomethung have broadway and teen mom? ā€¦image

2 Likes

Itā€™s like 2 hours once or twice a year at mostā€¦

They are. Do you not think socializing is important? Also, do you not think Indians donā€™t have dances? Have you BEEN to an Indian wedding ā€¦ those fuckers dance for like 4 hours straight ā€¦ like coordinated group dancing.

Do you think this is the norm in Uzbekistan? If so, why? (I really have no idea what Uzbek culture is like tbh). Iā€™m sure you can find a 5th grade American kid who can speak 5 languages or can do partial derivatives - Iā€™d imagine theyā€™re equally scarce in the US as they are in Uzbekistan or Chinaā€¦