The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

I’ve always needed help understanding this IRS/Tea Party thing.

The Code essentially says this:

“Under law, tax-exempt organizations described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code are prohibited from participating or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office”.

Definitely NOT the Tea Party (or many of these “Political/Non-Political” Conservative Groups that sprung up during the Obama Presidency).

So…is the problem that LEFT-WING political groups were NOT targeted? (unlikely)…or not targeted as much?

What exactly was the issue?

(@countingbeans…any comment on the Tax-Exempt status of all of these “Political-Non-Political” Groups?)

Political groups can have a tax exempt 501c4 status. See below for a famous progressive example. If you don’t see the harm in an administration targeting their political opponents and applying the law differently… just enjoy Trump having that power.

MoveOn comprises two legal entities, organized under different sections of U.S. tax and election laws. MoveOn.org Civic Action is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation,[2] and was formerly called MoveOn.org. It focuses on education and advocacy on national issues. MoveOn.org Political Action is a federal political action committee, and was formerly known as MoveOn PAC.

NOT what I said or even implied, Gainz.

Right from the start I stated that I didn’t understand it; because I didn’t understand the idea of Political Groups…Right OR Left…having Tax-Exempt status.

Either they are “Political” or they are not…or maybe people know how to get around it?

Are you saying that if you learn how to manipulate the Tax Laws, you can do what you want, and still have Tax-Exempt Status?

Again…this is for understanding…NOT taking sides.

Did you read the link about MoveOn.org? It exists in the tax code, it isn’t a loophole. It’s something legislators and the IRS must want.

Then you need to go read some more about what they did. They targeted groups that qualified and singled them out based on politics. They illegally slow walked (sometimes for years) processing of applications for groups they didn’t like. They illegally demanded information they didn’t have a right to like lists of members/donors some of which ended up the targets of audits and other action by the IRS. The groups in discussion qualified and now have the status. And no, these things also weren’t done to equivalent leftist groups.

People tend to believe that we are evolved beyond government tyranny, but when you get to the nuts and bolts of it, the IRS/Tea party deal should serve as a warning that we aren’t really past it. The IRS, through organized illegal action, set out with the intent to destroy the free speech of people for political reasons.

3 Likes

Hold up, guys!

I’m no “defender” of the IRS… because not only has it almost destroyed me in the past financially…I’ve seen it literally destroy the Lives of others I have known; in ways FAR beyond wanting Tax-Exempt status to attack Barack Obama.

I see that this is a topic too emotionally charged (using words like “Government Tyranny”). I can almost hear the Satanic Choirs in the background as you guys post.

Thanks for your input.

I’ll study it more.

For the record, there was nothing emotional in my post. I used the phrase “government tyranny” specifically, literally, and without intending a play toward emotion. I did not mean it figuratively, lightly, or angrily, just stating a flat fact to correctly label what was done.

And for the record Piers Morgan even admitted that it was actual tyranny.

D:

We agree on FAR more things than we disagree with…so my apologies.

Probably best to move past this one.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your most recent posts.

I’m curious why when government tyranny was brought up you decided the conversation has run its course for you? You’re one of the most level headed posters here always with great insight and humble curiosity - why would the possibility of something resembling government tyranny turn you off from the conversation?

Polo:

There are some topics that I just have to study out for myself.

On this topic; I obviously need a LOT more study on IRS designations; what is “Tax Exempt” and what is not; and the grievous harm that came to people because of Government Actions in this case.

I’m working on it.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks.

Not sure why you seem to be taking this personally, but I never said grievous harm. However, they certainly kept money out of the hands of certain groups during an election. Not to mention audits and other attacks on individuals. Election meddling like that from your own government is tyranny.

I’d rather a country’s propaganda and influence machines are privately funded (PAC’s and how the US currently is), than State sponsored.

As for exempt status… Depends how they are treated, not all “tax exempts” are actually exempt, and not all activities are exempt even for a (c)3.

But if you made donations to a PAC taxable income to the PAC, they would have to be deductions for the donor… That’s no Bueno to the max.

Haven’t forgotten this. Gonna do the main part longhand and I have a few Irish specific sources to consult.

2 Likes

Sweet Jesus. Governor Gregg Abbott survived a bombing due to opening the package incorrectly.

1 Like

Holy hell

Ban Christians from coming into the country until we have time to figure everything out with them.

Completely joking and not looking for a war over it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-youth-pastor-murders-family-171421449.html

Did he scream “Hallelujah” as he did it? Did his pastor preach murder of your entire family? Is there a separatist theocrat state full of violent Christians anywhere? What’s the body count on Christian Terrorism in 2017?

Good joke though.

Struck a nerve. What’s the right amount to ban people from coming into the country? Maybe generalizing isn’t a good idea?

2017 relevance? Any equivalence you’re trying to draw is nonsense and you know it. “But the crusades!”

The radical Islamist movement is real and it’s a threat. Just ask Europe. The libs claim to care about gays and women, but they give radical Islam a pass. They are cutting off clits, throwing gays from buildings, selling women and children as slaves etc…