The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

Some don’t have the talk because they just don’t talk period. Others don’t need to have a talk on this specific matter because they raised their kids in such a way that it’s unnecessary. They know how to behave civilly.

Not every white person will get stopped just as not every black person will get stopped. I got stopped and I lived there.

I will raise my daughters in such a way that they would be careful, but that doesn’t mean I won’t warn them from leaving their drinks unattended.

Neither talk is to make up for not raising your kids correctly, they’re designed to teach you’re children that other people may have not raised their kids correctly. Also, neither talk should have a single ounce of shame placed on the one giving the talk. It’s responsible parenting.

1 Like

It’s one thing to tell your kid how to behave around the police, it’s another to tell them to behave that way because the cops are looking for a reason to kill you.

But the question is, if white people aren’t having this conversation then why aren’t their sons being mowed down by the cops? White people do have interactions with the cops. They do get arrested. Why does a black man need to be taught how to specifically behave to not get shot but the white man doesn’t? Are white people naturally better behaved? They naturally have more common sense? They naturally can control their emotions better?

The facts are that white people do act stupidly and get shot, tazed, beaten, bitten by K9s, etc. Another fact is that most white people (just like most black people) don’t end up in a violent confrontation with an arresting officer. Again, is it because those black people were taught how to behave? What about those white people? So if white people are not having these conversations, what exactly are they telling their kids? Or is it unnecessary because white people are just that much smarter?

1 Like

Has someone said “the talk” = “the cops are looking for a reason to kill you” around here? I know I sure haven’t.

Who says they aren’t? My dad had a talk with me when I was younger about being overly respectful any time you’re alone with an LEO.

Because a higher % of the population is racist against blacks in a way that implies they’re prone to violence compared to whites.

I like to think it’s because the vast majority of the population’s encounters with LEOs doesn’t warrant a violent confrontation.

They are. At least to some degree. I can’t speak for all white parents.

I don’t know if any black posters have chimed in on what the talk entails but, when someone says that this talk is exclusive to blacks then there must be a reason why. What is that reason? That cops will be quicker to shoot a black person.

And you just agreed with my point. White people are telling their kids how to behave around the cops or at least how to behave.

What I’m trying to say is that when someone says that black people need to have this or that talk, it implies that white people aren’t having this talk. Which begs the question, why are white people not getting killed by the cops? Only black people need to be taught how to behave? Obviously we know that white people are getting killed by the cops; CNN just ignores it.

That is what the “talk” pretty much is. Otherwise I think every person especially males have been told if you are ever pulled over or stopped by a cop be civil and keep your hands where they can see them.

3 Likes

The talk isn’t exclusive to blacks, it just carries a racial undertone with minorities such as Blacks and Hispanics.

To me it implies that the talk is simply not exactly the same.

Both sides are murdered by the cops every now and then. Unfortunately, history has a lot more example of minorities dying due to being minorities than it does white people dying due to being white re: LEOs

Homestead or East Liberty?

Yes, but there is this idea that “the talk” is a black thing. The implication being that white people don’t need to have this talk.

This is what they are saying:
A. White don’t teach their sons how not to get shot by the cops.
Yet,
B. White men are not killed by the cops.
You could also reverse it:
A. White men are not killed by the cops.
So,
B. White people don’t teach their sons how to not get shot by the cops.

If the first scenario is true then it means white people just naturally behave smarter.

The second scenario is false since white people are killed by the cops. But does that make the first one true?

The people that bring up “the talk” make it out to be that white people don’t need to have the talk. Keep in mind it was brought up in this thread as part of white privilege. This is the quote:

“For example, I don’t care how wealthy/successful a black family is, they still have to have ‘the talk’ with their adolescent sons about what to do if pulled over by the police–a talk white parents do not feel the same need to have. That is white privilege.”

My last question wasn’t answered.

Which was?

Only black people need to be taught how to behave?

I also edited my last post.

No, not only black people need to be taught how to behave. Unfortunately, black people have to be taught that they have a higher chance of being victim to a negative racial bias than white people.

This isn’t to comment on the level of extra negative racial bias that exists, but merely that it does exist.

I was not agreeing with him. He seems to think the “talk” means something else.

Ha!

Clairton.

That was 20 years ago though. I think that the supply chain has shifted in recently.

1 Like

I don’t think they need to be taught that. But, to teach people that because of potential bias they should react with certain bias is problematic. Not everything is racially motivated.

What is the cost? If you teach your black child they have a higher chance of being subject to racism, the logical progression is that in times of potential violence, you recognize that increased chance and behave accordingly. In the same way that people slow down when it’s raining, you adjust your life to account for various factors. Racism just has a slightly higher weight for minorities.

I have witnessed the talk from a co-teacher in my classroom. And she made it clear that cops will single out minorities and resort to violence much more quickly than with whites.

I meant they don’t need to be taught that which is obvious. Does any black person in this country not know about racism?

I also disagree. You don’t teach your black kid to respect the police because they might kill you; you teach him to respect the police because it’s what civilized people do. You teach him to respect people, period. I mean, if the threat of violence is necessary to make one behave civilized then that is a sign of another problem.

1 Like

At what age do you think this talk happens? It’s not 16.

You also teach your kid when there’s an extra risk of something happening to them. It’s just responsible parenting.

There has always been a need for a threat of violence to make people behave civilized. It’s called society. With society (ie, govt) giving you rules on how to act, by threat of force. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s the main purpose of society.