The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

The government would also have to pay them salaries during their time serving.

No doubt - I think it would require some pretty radical and immediate adjustments. Initial logistics would be a total bastard.

1 Like

Yeah this is the one that I think would be the hardest to swallow, both practically and - for some - philosophically.

1 Like

Yeah, I really can’t envision how this can be pulled off. In countries I know of with compulsory service, it’s usually only for males so they end up lagging behind females when it comes to entering the workforce. And the only people they place in the “right” vocations are medical students, whom are allowed to complete their MDs and made to serve as military doctors.

Tend to agree. Implementation aside, I doubt it would have the requisite popular support to ever materialize. Fun to think about though.

1 Like

You stil have 16-17 and 21 and up.

How much did the economy suffer during the peak draft years of WW2 and Vietnam? I wonder what those numbers look like (obvious difference is 100% will return from their “service years”).

1 Like

You wanna put 16 year olds in the military lol? I would imagine it can be optional but not mandatory until you reach the legal adult age. Can you imagine the lawsuits when things fuck up lol?

EDIT:

I mean, we know what the terms were when we signed up voluntarily. I can’t remember what they were since this was 20 years ago but I remember I was quite shocked, to say the least. While I’m not sure about the US, it’s probably similar to the rest of the world.

In this day and age, you’d probably have to substantially lower the standard and scope of training if you want to force people to serve without getting into trouble.

EDITED AGAIN:

Also, with the SJW version of “toxic masculinity” (I tend to agree with the real version) being taught these days, how are kids growing up today going to serve lol? That shit has made it all the way to my part of the world. I think it should be MUCH worse in the US if WE have it now.

Fuck this. NOW I wanna see you guys do it. I’m imagining a South Park version of a military base with a ferris wheel and cotton candy machines.

No. The jobs that 18 year olds do can be done by 16 year olds.

1 Like

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

Still, I think there’s too much room for fuckups which would result in either severe legal or social repercussions even with 18 year olds in a country with such a large population unless, as said above, you lower the standard and scope of training.

Even if the population is compliant, you’d still have to have different “grades” or whatever you call them there. Some people cannot be trusted with a grenade. Some wouldn’t be physically or mentally fit enough for standard training.

Being placed in such a “grade” may impact future job prospects if everyone in each generation serves. Maybe it would only apply in public service. Not sure but it’s definitely possible. Then you’d have to enact even more laws to not discriminate against such people.

The worst thing is the military may eventually completely lose the respect of the public. This has happened in certain countries I know of with compulsory military service. And it’s only for men.

But 16y/Olds are still in school. I wouldn’t want my kid working full time at 16, I’d want him focusing on academia, or an apprenticeship of going down the manual labour route (which there is nothing wrong with)

My point is, the jobs that 18-20 year olds are doing will be also be done by those younger or older. It’s not like there are jobs that only 18-20 year olds can do.

The 16 year old doesn’t need to be working full time and neglecting school, they can work part time at McDonald’s, at Walmart, as a server, etc. as many of them do now, and as many 18 years also do.

Pretty sure that’s all @zecarlo is saying.

Compulsory service for young adults would be a huge potential drain on the economy.

What we need to do is pay for all of them to study any subject they want at college. We might luck into an engineer or two for every 10 people who study liberal arts on the taxpayer dime.

If nothing else our crippling shortage of CRT-fluent students and teachers will finally be at an end.

Nah they have video games for that

Then go on to politics.

1 Like

Well, being a crass male, I actually laughed out loud about this, but, I cannot imagine living with this the rest of my career. God bless her.

1 Like

Being a crass male as well and I couldn’t help thinking that there’s an above average chance she’s hot.

I’ve been to Scotland and seen how Scottish women look like, so I’m willing to offer some serious money that she couldn’t be considered “hot” even under the most generous criteria.

Ouch.^^^

Saw a small documentary on Karst in Slovenia last week. Beautiful area

1 Like