The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

Is this real?

2 Likes

Maybe these ā€œgreatā€ institutions have just become too revenue focused?

I went to a cheap unrecognizable CC. Dirty little secret is that they work along side of and employ professors from Pitt, CMU, and Penn State to ensure parity and avoid problems with matriculation.

So, a typical class went like this:

Student: I worked really hard on this!

Prof: Iā€™m not changing anything. Get out of my classroom and quit wasting everybodyā€™s time.

Student: Iā€™m going to the deans office!

Prof: Good. Hurry along now. And donā€™t forget your book. Theyā€™ll still give you half its value at the store. Everybody else, open your books to chapter 9, Rational Functions. Tonight weā€™re going to find the slope of the asymptoteā€¦

Because at $90.00/credit, they actually do care more about their reputation than tuition refunds.

2 Likes

I was reading about this and one person said young people are more open-minded than older people. Whether or not being open-minded is good or bad, young people have always been more close minded than adults and itā€™s even worse today.

1 Like

That about qualifies it. Again, I point to the age of brain maturationā€¦

Iā€™d say thatā€™s probably accurate. Iā€™m also not sure that normalizing as in your second example is a bad thingā€“some of the idiots arenā€™t actually idiots theyā€™re just bad at time management or even unsure of their path. In that sense letting them feel they might have just enough to join the crowd if they work hard isnā€™t a bad thing. Also, kids who always worked hard to get good grades (as opposed to ā€œgeniusesā€) can be completely disheartened in a scenario like your first. These kids by all rights have the ability to become great in their chosen field, but probably need someone willing to teach and mentor rather than ā€œbreakā€. For example, my first organic chemistry teacher was so bad I ended the semester with a 52%, but that was a solid B in the class and I was toward the top. Intimidated, I worried constantly about needing to take organic 2, but ended up acing it with a high 90s% due solely to the difference in teacher and style.

Iā€™ve been in classes from both illustrations and I donā€™t think either should be prevented. As the saying goes, youā€™re always going to have the 1/3 or the class that just canā€™t get it. Although I consider the first to be a terrible teacher personallyā€¦assuming that it isnā€™t 1 single test but a semester long pattern. Also many professors are researchers first and teachers a distant second, so they are both ill-equipped and not particularly motivated to do lots of teaching (their appointments are continued by reaching grant and project milestones not by class).

Again though, I personally donā€™t think administration should have any say in the matter. There are easily many fields that need a more rigorous approach, as long as the professor isnā€™t ā€œchecked outā€.

16, 14,12. Can they really do any worse than the Trump vs Clinton matchup?

2024:
AOC/Bernie ticket vs Skhreli/Stormy Daniels

You kid, but Iā€™d vote for him if heā€™d release the Wu Tang Album

1 Like

We just announce unconscious bias workshops at work, YEAH!!!

1 Like

I wish you were my professor in grad school, 94 was an A.

2 Likes

This.

But, it has itā€™s downside too.

I read a professorā€™s open letter to his incoming freshmen at a university and he explained the difference between teachers and professors.

Teachers teach, professors, well, profess. In HS, we get measured on our studentsā€™ performance. In college, his words, they donā€™t give a shit (paraphrased). You either get it or you get out - they still cash your check.

However, most universities are for profit, and all need to pay the bills. So if you wash out as a freshmen, itā€™s hard to replace you. That means that most universities want you to be there for four years (or more) because new sophomores (or juniors) arenā€™t a commodity. Thatā€™s why they become selective on admission - can you stick it out for four years.

Community colleges are different - students are a commodity. I live near Nassau CC on Long Island, and they are just servicing the public. Many kids consider it ā€œSuper High Schoolā€ or ā€œThirteenth Grade,ā€ but there are quite a few kids admitted to Ivy League schools that choose to defer their enrollment at those schools to spend two years at a lower cost institution.

So, in a woo woo sense, itā€™s all about energy exchange.

1 Like

Lolz

1 Like

Probably pretty financially viable as well
:man_shrugging:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nowthisnews.com/amphtml/videos/politics/fox-news-different-reactions-regarding-negotiations-with-north-korea

Pretty good video from fair and balanced Fox News.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how they sell it here too, and after hearing from a few professors from Pitt & CMU, they really like the CC students for their work ethic.

Yeah, this is a different class of kid.

Just saying, these kids didnā€™t have a tutor write the essay for them, donā€™t get extra time for no reason - they are walking in the front door.

We can all tell whoā€™s mom is writing their essays, and for the most part, this gen is a bunch of cheaters.

But not my kids, lol.

I had a prof who told us he couldnā€™t finish his own tests in the time allotted. But he curved the class grades.

Had another who graded on a true curve, but made the class very easy so a 95% ended up being a C-.

IME in STEM, pretty much everything was graded on a curve, but only so much as the prof saw fit. They know when a test they made is too hard, or too easy. They know how many A quality, B quality, etc students they have in the class. They arenā€™t going to pass or give a B to a kid who doesnā€™t know the material, thatā€™s just setting him up for failure next semester when he has to use that material as base knowledge to apply new concepts. Classes build on each other in STEM.

Properly applied curves are useful tools in a teacher/profs tool chest.

No one got more than a 65% on a signal assignment in my tax I course. It fucking sucked.

1 Like

God damn Trump really hates John McCain. I donā€™t see how people can support Trump I really donā€™t get it. What a garbage excuse for a human.

4 Likes

Heā€™s what passes for an alpha male these days.