The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

I don’t see that as a viable option.

1 Like

So the policy only applies to repeated cheaters? You get one pass?

Not really a policy then.

1 Like

Not sure you guys know this, but they are all cheaters. They don’t even understand the definition of cheating.

Snapchat, IG, the technology allows them all to cheat, and they all do it.

You’ve been sucking too much oxygen, during deep breathing.

Policy is policy… but, extenuating circumstances can bend policy if the student is upstanding.

I would. People don’t learn from their mistakes if you excuse the punishment for X factors.

It’s not like this is a kid who thought cheating was alright and they forgot to tell him. He knowingly broke the rules, and did so SO POORLY that he was caught.

So he’s a cheater and he’s not even smart enough to get away with it

What’s all that? I graduated before smartphones were a thing.

This is probably the line that helped make my outlook on this situation. If the kid is taking care of his mom/spending last moments with, I can see just saying “fuck it” and throwing something at paper. The better approach would have been to just tell the teacher what’s going on. WWMFD ?(what would Mr. Feeny do)

1 Like

Yeah, love you bro, but you think athleticism equals a pass.

Yes, it’s okay to cheat if you can ball?

You don’t have kids yet, but if you believe this, I’m worried.

She was diagnosed with stage four in 2016, she’s been dying for three years.

1 Like

BTW, my brother is buying Corvallis Country Club.

1 Like

See, mind changed. Fuck the kid.

LOL! Jokes.

Wait, what?

I thought the above was fairly clear that I don’t care about athletes.

Also…

Does that mean I can have free membership. That’s like 20 minutes from one of our offices.

All good, you’re a smart cat and I really respect you. We just disagree on some things. Knowledge+experience=wisdom.

My mom told me this one time.

A young bull walks up to an old bull and says, “Let’s run down the hill and fuck one of those cows.”

The old bull says, “Let’s walk and fuck em all.”

1 Like

Your mom and Bulldog’s wife sound awesome.

1 Like

Belongs in the stupid thread and is a story about cheating that I still get a kick out of: Was in a 200 level political science class as a freshman in college, fresh faced and 18 years old, never worried about cheating or plagiarizing (simply didn’t have to, school was fun for me). Well the professor was notably hard assed, a good teacher, but interesting approach to things and very passionate. Well, there was a senior in the class, basically just needed to pass the class to graduate, had somehow missed it (or failed it, more likely) early in his college career and was just there to get a grade, we had like a 15 page paper assigned and had plenty of time to work on it, well this kid apparently bought his paper…bought a masters level paper (some website like “docs from docs” or something) for a 200 level poli sci class for $80, the teacher actually went out and bought the exact same paper when he suspected the kid of cheating (apparently there was a history, who knew?) and printed it off and brought it to class to show the kid exactly why he was going to fail this class. Well the kid was sleeping in the back and the professor got himself all worked up and hit the kid with a book, I was terrified, but find it hilarious today. The professor pushed for expulsion, as he was a repeat offender, the college let it slide as it was his last semester. The kid/man is and was a turd, as you can probably imagine, but I still enjoy that story/memory haha

TL:DR Senior buys a masters level paper for a freshman level class. Gets caught. Literally hit with book. Still Graduates.

1 Like

Well, hey, given more info, I agree with you.

1 Like

Here’s the deal. I test my kids to assess them, not to measure or to grade. I really DGAF about grades, for my students or my progeny.

When they cheat, they cheat themselves, and that is criminal, in my opinion.

My daughter is reasonably bright, but not a rocket scientist. If she cheats, and I write her essays, she gets into a school that she doesn’t belong, and she won’t be happy there.

So I write her essays and she goes to Harvard (just an example), and she is out of her element, hates the smart kids, doesn’t do well.

Or she does her own work and ends up at Oregon State (also not going to happen, but my alma mater and NCAA National Champions in baseball, fuck UofO, lol). She’s with kids of similar intelligence, with like minded ideas, and she earned it.

Which is better?

Rhetorical question.

So I fucking hate cheaters, and they all cheat. I have four classes of 11R, eleventh grade regents. When I give a test, fourth, sixth, and ninth period all do better than first.

Why?

Because the kids in first period tell them what is on the test, that is cheating. They don’t realize it’s cheating.

So here’s the deal @dchris, I know you don’t particularly like working in a group, you prefer to get shit done on your own, but you understand that you need people on your team.

When was the last time you had people work independently?

So, making kids work on a test independently isn’t really preparing them for life.

Just my take.

1 Like

Why do you think that? I actually don’t produce much of any work. My job is to manage a team of people who perform work.

People work independently and report back to me.

I think a fair balance is appropriate. What I really think is a disservice to students is minimum word numbers in papers. I think students should have to write a paper that is 5 pages, 3 pages, 1 page, 2 paragraphs and 2 sentences all covering the same topic. It will teach them to write papers to their audience and succinctness.

I actually think tests are a great example of Seth Godin’s Aphorism: “No one needs a 3/4” bit, they need a 3/4" hole. But, no one needs a 3/4" hole, they need a shelf".

We don’t test people to test them. We test them to demonstrate they understand the information taught. If tests aren’t a good way to accomplish the desired outcome, then change the method (tests).

1 Like

Maybe I misinterpreted, I feel like you have a disdain for meetings with bosses, You feel like it’s a waste of time, and, it is.

Perhaps you feel like you run a meeting better than your bosses.I suspect you are correct.

You’re 28. right, without a college degree. You’re smart as fuck, making good money, and you own that, amiright?

And, they do that independently or do they rely on each other?

So they work in a vacuum, don’t talk to anybody else, get no support, they do their own shit, alone, without support from you or anyone else?

Just to try to change your thought process, and to be a challenger, why not a five part essay? Intro, thesis, proof, counter argument and conclusion. It could be five paragraphs, it could be five pages, it could be fifty pages.

Better yet, have them identify a noun and a verb. Can you do that in the last sentence?

Sentences are subjects and predicates, paragraphs are main ideas and evidence, essays are theses and proof - it’s all the same.

Off on a rant, sorry.

I spend most of my time in classes talking about shit, asking questions, looking for critical thinking.

I think I’m that teacher, that weird fuck that never has kids work but they all talk about my class, not realizing they were working the whole time.

You would hate being in my class, lol.