The Stupid Thread 2 (Part 1)

I’m actually really glad to see there’s good legal verbiage to lock her up. For the longest time after hearing about her I wanted her to be found guilty just because I thought she was a sack of shit. This way I don’t feel like nearly as bad of a person.

1 Like

@NickViar @pfury

I forget the state and don’t have time to Google because lifting. But if you walk past someone having a heart attack or being mugged and you don’t call 911 you can be convicted of manslaughter or as an accessory. Even as an untrained civilian you have a duty to call it in if you have sole knowledge. I forget the specific instance but the person went away.

This doesn’t mean you’re required to give cpr or stop the mugging.

He got out of the car, and she told him to get back in. She already knew about his suicidal thoughts, and she basically was telling him to do it. I think it is a good verdict.

Manslaughter is killing another human. This girl did nothing that can be considered “killing.”

She encouraged him to get back into the truck to continue to kill himself, told him how to do it, didn’t tell anyone about his suicidal tendencies, and was even on the phone as he did it.

She is guilty, no questions.

If I had suicidal tendencies, a history of depression, and the person I care about most telling me to do it, Yes I would.

I’m reading some of your replies, and it sounds more like she should have been convicted of murder in your minds. She certainly intended to kill him, if I buy into the idea that she did kill him. I guess she got off easy up there in the great, free state of Massachusetts.

Interesting point. The problem is that you can argue that it wasn’t manslaughter because it wasn’t unintentional (although definitely wanton and reckless), but it also wasn’t murder because the victim could have avoided death given sufficient will to do so.

It doesn’t really make sense to argue that no crime was committed because it was worse than manslaughter, but not murder. Thus, manslaughter makes sense.

1 Like

https://blog.mass.gov/masslawlib/misc/good-samaritan-laws/

-She didn’t even violate a Good Samaritan Law(I think Good Samaritan Laws were what basementgainz was thinking of in his response). She was not at the scene.

I’d hate to be around some of you if one of your friends were to tell you to “Eat a dick” or something.

Surly you aren’t implying that emotional manipulation, depressive ideas/thoughts, and coaxing somebody to kill themselves are the same as a joke with friends. Because if you were, you obviously have never dealt with somebody in that type of a situation.

I guess I’m just not Special Snowflakey-enough to hold someone else accountable for my actions. I can’t think of a more absurd conviction than this one.

A solid double down on ignoring how people can be manipulated. Keep 'em coming, this is The Stupid Thread after all.

It is a crime when someone…

"Advises someone else on the way to commit suicide; or
Persuades someone else to commit suicide."

And to take it even one step further:

“it is not considered assisted suicide to fail to resuscitate someone who is already dying.”

These are laws in every state. Not only are the woman’s actions detestable but also illegal in every state.

1 Like

I’m not saying that she could not be convicted of any crime whatsoever, but “manslaughter” is something different.

The second policy reason against assisted suicide is that it can be difficult in some cases to distinguish it from murder or manslaughter. States have an interest in ensuring that no one is forced to commit suicide through threats or deception.”

Zeb, that’s just explaining the reasoning behind prohibiting assisted suicide. It’s actually pointing out that assisted suicide differs from manslaughter and murder, although it may be difficult to distinguish in some cases.

Guys, according to this, Massachusetts doesn’t even prohibit assisted suicide.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/michelle-carter-verdict-suicide-boyfriend-626910%3Famp%3D1

It also clearly states it is difficult to distinguish between murder and manslaughter as well. That’s why there are trials so that a jury can make that determination.