The Strength of Pro Athletes

Heres a fun fact: According to a recent study of australian rugby players the average strength was approx 330 lb in benchpress and chins (including extra weights and counting from the top of the pull and back up again).

Turns out that the very good balance in the shoulder girdle saved them from injuries and what allowed them to stay in the career. Food for thought…

Anyway, seems like a good strength goal for any recreational lifter. Puts your own strength in perspective and its fun to have something to compete with. Even if they might kick your butt in other ways it still is nice to know your as strong/er as one…

Do anyone else have any average strength mesures of pro athlets (in any of the big lifts)?

Rugby sucks.

If I could just bench a little more I sure would be a sweet athlete.

[quote]RickJames wrote:
Rugby sucks.[/quote]

So does your mum fatty.

To the OP - where did you get these stats from - id be very interested.

Mick

[quote]RickJames wrote:
Rugby sucks.[/quote]

I hope your next shite is a hedgehog :slight_smile:

[quote]superscience wrote:
RickJames wrote:
Rugby sucks.

I hope your next shite is a hedgehog :)…[/quote]

…wrapped in sandpaper.

I have a lot of respect for rugby. Played it for a couple of years about 5 yrs after some college football and had difficulty breaking the habit of leading with the head!

Line outs and scrums were a blast as was the opportunity to run with the ball (having been a lineman in football). The conditioning aspect requires an around athlete rather than the all round athlete I became a powerlifter.

[quote]God of Thunder wrote:
Heres a fun fact: According to a recent study of australian rugby players the average strength was approx 330 lb in benchpress and chins (including extra weights and counting from the top of the pull and back up again).
[/quote]

Uh, I just need some clarification here: The 330lb chin is they strap on 330lb in addition to their body weight or their body weight plus additional weight strapped and equals to 330lbs? I also assume you’re talking about 1 rep max?

[quote]oriensus wrote:
God of Thunder wrote:

Uh, I just need some clarification here: The 330lb chin is they strap on 330lb in addition to their body weight or their body weight plus additional weight strapped and equals to 330lbs? I also assume you’re talking about 1 rep max?
[/quote]

That is what I’m wondering too…it’d be like having another couple guys strapped to your back(or one large dude)

[quote]oriensus wrote:
God of Thunder wrote:

[/quote]

The weight was bodyweight plus additional weight put together. Hell, pulling another 330 lb to your own bodyweight, now that would be impressive! Do anyone know about someone doing that trick? Deffinently a goal to shoot at…

I?ll post the exact study tomorrow, keep tuned.

Here we go:
The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 594?598.

An Analysis of the Ratio and Relationship Between Upper Body Pressing and Pulling Strength
Daniel G. Baker and Robert U. Newtona

Funny thing, the report states approx 130 kg +/- 20 in the lifts… The data posted are from M&F jan 2005 (its not mine, its my, eh, uhm…friend! Yes thats it, my friends copy), perhaps I should check the fucking data myself before posting it. That means I chin as much a regular rugby player, though. I think I?ll celebrate this with a beer or two, since its friday and all. Cheers!

That sounds about right, 330 sounded a little high.