The Strength Builder

[quote]krayon wrote:
This might sound really obvious, but why don’t you join a gymnastics club and run more?[/quote]

This actually sounds like the best advice in the thread.

Sorry, if I wan’t clear as to my point.

I do powerlifting already.

I’m trying to build a quick physique.

I want to build a basis in sprinting and running.

I want to be able to maintain my lifting, while honing gymnastics skills (right now I am cutting for gymnastics, I AM in a gymnastics club at a university in my town. But I do not participate because I have too much excess weight (fat, muscle, and I am just a biggish dude big BONED lol.)

I realize alot of the dude’s who are much smaller than I, have good strength. I want to train from that aspect and not just lift heavy shit and try to get bigger.

My goals that are applicable to this site are, I need to

build strength.

and lose weight.

Lose all excess fat first, then…how do I actually make my muscle stronger per weight rathern than just putting on mass?

Anyways, thanks for the resources, this is more like a personal journey, and I suppose it encompasses alot mroe than just.

HOW DO I GET LIKE BRUCE LEE.

Thanks for the links.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

I’ll be checking out.

Beastskills.com

and Crossfit.com

Is this the kind of conditioning you’re looking to get?

I believe what he has is a lot of relative strength, but it is also combined with agility, coordination, endurance, and skills.

I’d like to get like Bruce Lee too, but only a lot bigger. Imagine that, someone who moves like Bruce Lee but has the size and strength of Ryan Kennelly.

I want to move like Mr. Ninja, but look like a tiny Scott Steiner.

Haha, wow that is a really good description, I should have said that from the begginning.

Start reading…

nothing wrong with your goals, quite realistic, i dont know about the distance running though but what you seek is a high degree of relative strength which can easily be achieved utilizing weights and gymnastics strength training.

You don’t necessarily need to touch a weight ever in your life if you dont desire to… and stick to gymnastics strength building exercises but using both will only help you especially since you’re not starting from birth at these… and thus have a severe disadvantage.

Imo, keep the mindset that the weightroom is a privlege not a right. So until you build a great deal of strength with your bodyweight you don’t need to progress into using external weight, you can create enough disadvantaged positions using body leverage as is.

moving on, weight gain is a result of diet and genetics, training is a small part of that equation in my personal opinion… everyone can do Westside 4 skinny bastards and push the weight but the guy who will grow will be the one eating the most.

Your body will go through an extreme re-composition phase so getting rid of fat and there will be some necessary muscle gain needed to support the level of strength you seek to gain (look at the muscularity of gymnasts)… so dont worry about the scale too much just worry about how you look.

athletes for you to research are wrestlers and gymnasts…both super strong, cardio machines.

anyway onto some links for your reading pleasure…

www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm

For your running needs i suggest you implement a fartlek training style (google “fartlek”).
It’s also a good idea (imo, and its what i do) to do the same for upper body and non-running goals.

Fartlek is basically a switch between aerobic (endurance) and anaerobic (max effort) exercises (some sprinting mixed with endurance running, and crossing over the different thresholds)

I’ll give you an example with my training plan:

Monday - break

Tuesday: Lower body power (heavy weights,etc) with sprinting

Wednesday: Upper body power (heavy weights, etc) with light jog at end

Thursday: Upper body endurance with long run at end

Friday: Same as tuesday

Saturday: same as wednesday

Sunday: Lower body endurance with longest run at end

An endurance workout could be something like this:

All pullups done with 10 pounds ankle weights
50 planche like pushups
15 head under bar pullups
50 normal pushups
15 wide grip pullups
50 knuckle pushups
15 chinups
50 wide pushups
Left arm squeeze 25 seconds * 10 (hand grips no break between the squeezes)
Right arm squeeze 25 seconds * 10 (hand grips no break between squeezes)
15 side ways (one hand pronated other supinated or whatever)1 pullups
50 diamond pushups
15 side ways 2 pullups (reverse hand positions)
50 hands close pushups
15 back (palms face you) pullups
20 dips
15 towel pullups
15 pullups parallel to floor
Hold 20 pounds above head 2 minutes
Hold sideways 20 pounds 2 minutes
Hold front 20 pounds 2 minutes

With 1 minute rest in between.
If you’re good you can go straight from one to the other. Or you can do one part to failure and then wait a minute and do the next step till failure.
If you’re absolutely hardcore you ll do everything to failure with no break.

The idea is to mix the endurance with the strength.If you want functionality over size (as do i), then i suggest you add a little bit of everything (heavy weights and endurance) so you are well rounded.
Good luck.

yea things like 800m run, then power clean and front squatting…repeat 4-5x is the shit you should be aiming to do. i like dave’s ideas up there…

Your training should really be similar to someone who wants to get strong AND big, except dont eat as much.

1. You still need to lift heavy.
  2. You still need to lift for speed
  3. If you want to be athletic, your going to need some form of endurance, including a good work capacity.

Something like westside, or check out power to the people. You gotta lift >90% 1rm at least sometimes, and shouldn’t do too many higher rep sets.

I read somewhere a long time ago, that boxers and wrestlers would always keep any set under 30 seconds. You could do something like this, or also keep the reps under 5, and then volume fairly low. That way any muscle you build is going to contribute to strength more than the actual gain in weight.

Do cardio type stuff, like running, or HIIT, and again avoid higher reps, like 20-rep squats, etc.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to amount of calories your consuming. If it were me, I cant gain weight easily, but can build strength, and endurance with no problems, so i would just lift heavy, and take short rest breaks.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Start reading…

nothing wrong with your goals, quite realistic, i dont know about the distance running though but what you seek is a high degree of relative strength which can easily be achieved utilizing weights and gymnastics strength training.

You don’t necessarily need to touch a weight ever in your life if you dont desire to… and stick to gymnastics strength building exercises but using both will only help you especially since you’re not starting from birth at these… and thus have a severe disadvantage.

Imo, keep the mindset that the weightroom is a privlege not a right. So until you build a great deal of strength with your bodyweight you don’t need to progress into using external weight, you can create enough disadvantaged positions using body leverage as is.

moving on, weight gain is a result of diet and genetics, training is a small part of that equation in my personal opinion… everyone can do Westside 4 skinny bastards and push the weight but the guy who will grow will be the one eating the most.

Your body will go through an extreme re-composition phase so getting rid of fat and there will be some necessary muscle gain needed to support the level of strength you seek to gain (look at the muscularity of gymnasts)… so dont worry about the scale too much just worry about how you look.

athletes for you to research are wrestlers and gymnasts…both super strong, cardio machines.

anyway onto some links for your reading pleasure…

www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm[/quote]

Excellent post. In fact, theres been quite a few good posts here.

DAMN do I learn or find something new ever time Im on this site!

[quote]Sikkario wrote:
I don’t mean powerlifter. I mean strength builder.

I want to train to be a gymnast and a distance runner.

I’ve been lifting for a while, and I am pretty strong, I want to become extremely light, and implement bodyweight exercises into my training regime.

Are there any books on building freakish strength while maintaining relative lightness?

I don’t want to break 190. As mass will interfere with my ability to move my body well.[/quote]

Well I want to get into a size zero dress but still weigh 280lb, anybody help (BTW dont knock it till youve tried it! J/K)

Thanks blazin dave and xen nova, you know what I’m going after obviously.

Thanks alot guys.

Sikkario your lucky, I get flamed way harder then you when I say I want to do something “crazy” like 27 sets in a workout or something stupid like eating 400 grams of protein a day.

SQUAT SQUAT SQUAT ALOT