The Stimulus

What does everyone think of the stimulus package? It’s $825 Billion and growing everyday.

Is more spending the answer? Is it do or die if it doesn’t get passed?

The journal obviously think’s it’a a waste of money. If so the amount of money being wasted is staggering.

The IMF says it could be a lot worse and we are probably at the end of the recession.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/01/022672.php

The Congessional Budget Office. The watchdog of congeressional spending also doesn’t hold the bill in high regard.

http://readthestimulus.org/cbo_charts.php

The quote from “read the stimulus” sums it up nicely.

“Apparently, it is a huge crisis which requires swift action (and no time to read bill text) to pass a massive spending bill — but there seems to be no hurry at all to get the money into the American economy anytime soon.”

I would add it doesn’t seem to do much for job creation and consumer confidence…the real problems.

[quote]hedo wrote:
I would add it doesn’t seem to do much for job creation and consumer confidence…
[/quote]

Correct, but these are the effects of intervention. Job creation doesn’t happen by mandate and neither will consumer confidence return by mandate.

In fact, any attempt to manipulate them will only have the effect of worsening them.

The best solution is the cheapest solution, and that is for Uncle Sam to do nothing.

This approach has absolutly no basis of rational economic thought. It is 100% political and doesn’t even attempt to use ecoonomics to weight benefit .vs harm.

If you are prepared for deflation in 09 followed by a few years of uncontrollable inflation, you should be ok.

Those that have money to invest now and make the appropriate preperations will probably be inconvenienced at worst. Anyone with any economic sense should be able to survive and maybe even be better off at the end of all this.

The sheep that voted for Obama will not be ok. I base this on the fact that they would not have voted for him if they had any economic sense to begin with.

The stimulus is a joke. All this is, is a massive social program and government growth plan. This is a power grab by the democratic party, that’s it. People tend to vote for those who give them hand outs.
It’s a joke and sham. There is nothing to save. The economy will rebound on it’s own as it always does.

How in the fuck does education, roads, and funneling money to state governments, etc. Stimulate the economy…Oh yeah, it doesn’t. Idiots.

If Bush’s drunken sailor spending increases didn’t avoid a recession, how is spending that absolutely puts that and all drunken sailors to shame going to be anti-recessionary?

I had thought “failed Bush economic policies” – such a favorite catchphrase of the left – meant irresponsibly running up the deficit?

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
If Bush’s drunken sailor spending increases didn’t avoid a recession, how is spending that absolutely puts that and all drunken sailors to shame going to do any good?

I had thought “failed Bush economic policies” – such a favorite catchphrase of the left – meant irresponsible deficit spending?[/quote]

It’s not deficit spending once you get the credit card.

There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to this “stimulus” bill. It is a complete, total waste of money. My honest opinion is that everybody in Washington that supported it and voted for it ought to be impeached for gross incompetence. That’s how horrible this bill is.

If we piled up $850 billion worth of cash in Times Square and set it on fire we’d at least get some entertainment value from it. That’s more than this bill will ever accomplish.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]hedo wrote:
What does everyone think of the stimulus package? It’s $825 Billion and growing everyday.

The journal obviously think’s it’a a waste of money. If so the amount of money being wasted is staggering.

The IMF says it could be a lot worse and we are probably at the end of the recession.

The Congessional Budget Office. The watchdog of congeressional spending also doesn’t hold the bill in high regard.

“Apparently, it is a huge crisis which requires swift action (and no time to read bill text) to pass a massive spending bill — but there seems to be no hurry at all to get the money into the American economy anytime soon.”

I would add it doesn’t seem to do much for job creation and consumer confidence…the real problems.

[/quote]

This of course likely means the stimulus will work, as I remember Obama would never win PA.

And the CBO actually said:

The bill, Elmendorf said, “would provide a substantial boost to economic activity over the next several years relative to what would occur without any legislation.”

With the bill, CBO figured economic output would be between 1.3 percent and 3.6 percent higher at the end of this year, higher by a similar amount at the end of 2010 and even higher in 2011.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/60822.html

Somehow you opted to push the CBO’s analysis of a small part of an outdated stimulus proposal that wingnuts have been duping media figures with for the past several days.

Of course facts never your strong suit. Oh well.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to this “stimulus” bill. It is a complete, total waste of money. My honest opinion is that everybody in Washington that supported it and voted for it ought to be impeached for gross incompetence. That’s how horrible this bill is.

If we piled up $850 billion worth of cash in Times Square and set it on fire we’d at least get some entertainment value from it. That’s more than this bill will ever accomplish.[/quote]

Hmm… I wonder if I’d go with your opinion (total idiot) or the CBO’s?

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
If Bush’s drunken sailor spending increases didn’t avoid a recession, how is spending that absolutely puts that and all drunken sailors to shame going to be anti-recessionary?

I had thought “failed Bush economic policies” – such a favorite catchphrase of the left – meant irresponsibly running up the deficit?[/quote]

By failed bush economic policies, I think we mean policies that predictably bring us to brink of a depression as we’ve been saying for the past 8 years. 8 years of huge deficit spending leading to a depression = irresponsible. Deficit spending to correct or prevent the depression caused by the previous party obviously wouldn’t be irresponsible, just critically necessary.

That’s why folks who care about “economy” vote democratic. (see election results)

[quote]100meters wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:

I had thought “failed Bush economic policies” – such a favorite catchphrase of the left – meant irresponsibly running up the deficit?

By failed bush economic policies, I think we mean policies that predictably bring us to brink of a depression as we’ve been saying for the past 8 years. 8 years of huge deficit spending leading to a depression = irresponsible. Deficit spending to correct or prevent the depression caused by the previous party obviously wouldn’t be irresponsible, just critically necessary.

That’s why folks who care about “economy” vote democratic. (see election results)[/quote]

Sometimes I feel like putting you on ignore, because you are that fucking stupid. But then I realize the entertainment value you bring to this forum.

[quote]100meters wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:

[/quote]

But it’s not going to correct or prevent anything. At best it will slightly soften the landing for a hard fall that we HAVE to take. The longer we put off taking our medicine for decades of foolishness as a nation, the worse it is going to be.

The bailout is terrible. Good to see all House Republicans voted against it, but it is way late to start having a backbone.

[quote]100meters wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:

If we piled up $850 billion worth of cash in Times Square and set it on fire we’d at least get some entertainment value from it. That’s more than this bill will ever accomplish.

Hmm… I wonder if I’d go with your opinion (total idiot) or the CBO’s?

[/quote]

Setting aside the fact that I’d drop dead of shock if I ever heard a governmental agency claim that the best solution involves less government…

You do realize that W. was first in line to beat the bailout drum, don’t you? You know, he of the “Failed Bush Economic Policy”? He that “led” us into this recession with his doddering stupidity? That guy? I guess it was one flash of economic genius in his final days of office, right, since Obama and the Dems have picked up right where he left off?

You’re in great company there, if we were to believe that your squealing for the last eight years is accurate.

You get back to me when taxpayers see a tangible return on this $850 billion. Until then, I’ll maintain that it would’ve been more fun and just as useful to build a bonfire out of this money.

[quote]100meters wrote:
hedo wrote:

This of course likely means the stimulus will work, as I remember Obama would never win PA.

And the CBO actually said:

The bill, Elmendorf said, “would provide a substantial boost to economic activity over the next several years relative to what would occur without any legislation.”

With the bill, CBO figured economic output would be between 1.3 percent and 3.6 percent higher at the end of this year, higher by a similar amount at the end of 2010 and even higher in 2011.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/60822.html

Somehow you opted to push the CBO’s analysis of a small part of an outdated stimulus proposal that wingnuts have been duping media figures with for the past several days.

Of course facts never your strong suit. Oh well.

[/quote]

It will crush the economy as you well know. The CBO analysis that it is not money well spent is spot on.

Regardless I asked for thoughts. Not something you are used to doing…idiot.

Your going to need new knee bads with all the new Democrats to worship.

I think the first stimulus was a joke, and this doesn’t seem much better. We are already deeply in debt thanks to Bush, and it isn’t doing us any favors to add another $1+ Trillion to the docket.

Then again, the market is ultimately a psychological game. Value is in the eye of the beholder, and the more confidence people have, the more the market will prosper. Unfortunately, neither stimulus package seems to have increased confidence to any great degree.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:

If we piled up $850 billion worth of cash in Times Square and set it on fire we’d at least get some entertainment value from it. That’s more than this bill will ever accomplish.[/quote]

Word.