The Solution for Calves

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
I must be missing something.

What is this post in response too?

-Bill, I assume you are commenting on something else and not just making a random post (not that there’s a problem with that, it just appears as if there should be more to it). Your post with the quotes about sprinters is the first post that I can see in this thread.

edited

EDIT again

NEVERMIND I noticed there was a Waterbury article on the main page a few minutes ago. I should have put 2 and 2 together a bit quicker

I still don’t get why anyone would run to him if their goal was to build big muscles.

I do believe Ronnie Coleman had calves over 20". What fucking sprinters are beating the top Olympia competitors when it comes to calf size and strength?[/quote]

I guess at this point it is blantantly obvious that when he talks about ‘the best excercises’ he is not talking about the best for size. He is talking about the best exercises to have middle aged women and unmotivated men do in order to make lifting weights ‘fun again’. It’s just trendy bullshit used to sell books.

I am sure all of the exercises in that article can be used effectively in a well balanced BB program but anyone who has been doing this (bodybuilding) for a few years with a little bit of success will realize you do not make dumbell hops and neutral grip pullups the foundation of calf and bicep training. Shit, you’d be hardpressed to find a well developed bodybuilder using deadlifts and cable crossovers as the base of their torso training.

As much as this site wants to claim otherwise, it is not a bodybuilding site. I mean Jay Cutler’s name is no where to be found and the Mr O is 2 days old at this point.

Am I only one who thought Bill Roberts was mocking someone with this post? I have no idea who though.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
I must be missing something.

What is this post in response too?

-Bill, I assume you are commenting on something else and not just making a random post (not that there’s a problem with that, it just appears as if there should be more to it). Your post with the quotes about sprinters is the first post that I can see in this thread.

edited

EDIT again

NEVERMIND I noticed there was a Waterbury article on the main page a few minutes ago. I should have put 2 and 2 together a bit quicker

I still don’t get why anyone would run to him if their goal was to build big muscles.

I do believe Ronnie Coleman had calves over 20". What fucking sprinters are beating the top Olympia competitors when it comes to calf size and strength?

I guess at this point it is blantantly obvious that when he talks about ‘the best excercises’ he is not talking about the best for size. He is talking about the best exercises to have middle aged women and unmotivated men do in order to make lifting weights ‘fun again’. It’s just trendy bullshit used to sell books.

I am sure all of the exercises in that article can be used effectively in a well balanced BB program but anyone who has been doing this (bodybuilding) for a few years with a little bit of success will realize you do not make dumbell hops and neutral grip pullups the foundation of calf and bicep training. Shit, you’d be hardpressed to find a well developed bodybuilder using deadlifts and cable crossovers as the base of their torso training.

As much as this site wants to claim otherwise, it is not a bodybuilding site. I mean Jay Cutler’s name is no where to be found and the Mr O is 2 days old at this point. [/quote]

Good point…it is just irritating having tiny newbs argue about how much they know by quoting this man when anyone with any experience can see you would NOT follow CW if your goal was to truly make drastic physical progress over the next few years.

Meanwhile, you and several others on this board share many of the same views as far as lifting yet we get laughed at for gathering in the T-Cell to avoid the idiots.

Hell, I thought the hops are a nice change; Not many people do uni-lateral or dynamic (hopping) stuff for their calves everyday.

Why can’t people just throw this exercise in their toolbox and call it a day?

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Hell, I thought the hops are a nice change; Not many people do uni-lateral or dynamic (hopping) stuff for their calves everyday.

Why can’t people just throw this exercise in their toolbox and call it a day?[/quote]

Why would anyone focus on this exercise (especially as a new lifter) when there are better ones that have been used by people who actually built really big calves?

I think my calves would measure out to be “big” compared to most people’s. That wasn’t done by doing one legged hops with a fucking dumbbell and most people don’t look to sprinters for calf size to learn how to build big ones.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Am I only one who thought Bill Roberts was mocking someone with this post? I have no idea who though.[/quote]

I didn’t see it at first, but I think you’re right. I wouldn’t have responded.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I wouldn’t have responded. [/quote]

Why?

So, you only speak your mind if you can work it into office politics?

Standing + Seated + Donkey Calf raises have built my calves to decent size, not some dumbbell hops.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

Why can’t people just throw this exercise in their toolbox and call it a day?[/quote]

If you need to spice up your routine go for it. If you get bored easily hop around with a daisy behind your ear, no big deal.

But when you say ‘not many people do dynamic stuff’ (I’m ignoring the part about not many people doing unilateral stuff because that’s just not true) why do you think that is the case? There is a reason that obscure exercises are obscure. The reason why you see obscure movemments being touted as “the best exercise for a particular muscle” is because the same information can only be repeated so many times before people stop paying for it.

When I was over 250lb my calves were 20" without too much fat accumulation around them. As I cut, they shrunk despite trying to work them.

Maybe its one of those “grows with the rest of you” things.

[quote]belligerent wrote:

Calf development is determined above all else by genetics.

[/quote]

Seems like calves may be influenced a lot by genetics for most people. Chris Dickerson’s identical brothers had similar calves without lifting weights. Mike Matarazzo’s father had bigger calves than Mike did, and again did not lift weights, supposedly.

Is everyone forgetting the “Ballistic Muscle” articles a few weeks ago?

Can no-one else see some benefit to doing these “hops” before a workout?..or does EVERYTHING need to be spoon fed!

Although I don’t agree with the majority of the article I did take that away from it.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
silverhydra wrote:

Why can’t people just throw this exercise in their toolbox and call it a day?

If you need to spice up your routine go for it. If you get bored easily hop around with a daisy behind your ear, no big deal.

But when you say ‘not many people do dynamic stuff’ (I’m ignoring the part about not many people doing unilateral stuff because that’s just not true) why do you think that is the case? There is a reason that obscure exercises are obscure. The reason why you see obscure movemments being touted as “the best exercise for a particular muscle” is because the same information can only be repeated so many times before people stop paying for it. [/quote]

Regarding Dynamic, I wasn’t thinking about cardio or anything at the time (in reference to the earlier post mentioning uphill running), but more so in the weight room.
Nevertheless, I probably should have used the word explosive, I rarely see people leave the ground when doing calves, and have also rarely seen unilateral calf raises and the like.

[quote]WP wrote:
When I was over 250lb my calves were 20" without too much fat accumulation around them. As I cut, they shrunk despite trying to work them.

Maybe its one of those “grows with the rest of you” things.[/quote]

Or maybe you just had fat there like you did everywhere else? Not a insult at all, I’m just saying if your calves shrunk while you lost about (just guessing here) 100 pounds it’s safe to say that your body didn’t choose to abandon the muscle in your calves at a higher rate than elsewhere.

omg i saw a guy at the gym yestarday. maybe in his fifties. upper body- average healthy. when i saw his calves, i had to pick up my jaw from the ground. thick. big. wide. and i mean it, even by bodybuilding standards this guy had awesome calves. gonna ask him how he got them next time i see him…

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
Is everyone forgetting the “Ballistic Muscle” articles a few weeks ago?

Can no-one else see some benefit to doing these “hops” before a workout?..or does EVERYTHING need to be spoon fed!

Although I don’t agree with the majority of the article I did take that away from it.
[/quote]

The whole point of this discussion has been that article and that article is clearly “the best exercise for insert muscle

Now I do not disagree with your statement, just it’s context.

Just thought I’d throw this out there…

I’m 5’5.5", 150lbs, 6% bf, 15.5in calves. I really haven’t trained them nearly as hard nor as often as other body parts. I was however a distance runner for 15 years and did countless sprints, hills, intervals, ie: running up on your toes.

Of course like I said…I’m short and blocky so that helps as far as genetics is concerned.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
WP wrote:

Maybe its one of those “grows with the rest of you” things.

Or maybe you just had fat there like you did everywhere else? Not a insult at all, I’m just saying if your calves shrunk while you lost about (just guessing here) 100 pounds it’s safe to say that your body didn’t choose to abandon the muscle in your calves at a higher rate than elsewhere. [/quote]

It was just from rough estimates using my fingers to pinch the fat around my calves, it never really much changed. There probably was some fat loss, but my calves before used to look quite solid when tensed.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
belligerent wrote:
I wouldn’t have responded.

Why?

So, you only speak your mind if you can work it into office politics?[/quote]

I adopted a policy of not attacking T-Nation authors after I fucked up Alwyn Cosgrove’s thread a few years back. If someone had just watned to discuss calf exercises, that’s one thing, but I’m not going to do a thread just to shit on CW.

Do sprinters actually have such amnazing calf development, or is it just a combination of a ‘decent’ amount of muscle with incredibly low bodyfat levels that makes it appear so to the average viewer?

S