The Soaring Words Thread

“Its not easy to send men that you’ve worked with and that you love, to die. But they did it, and they won.”

--- General George S. Patton Jr

Some of my personal favorites:

“To become strong, one must first need to become strong.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“When you doubt yourself, it is like joining your enemy’s army.” - Alexandre Dumas

“Whoso would be a man, must be a non conformist.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“We must all learn to live together as brothers, or perish together as fools.”
— MLKing

Here’s one for Irish:

“Being driven from their ancestral homes, a force is gathering across the Atlantic. Someday, the English will regret this bitterly.”

--- Karl Marx
           Das Kapital (Vol II)

(Yes, I’ve read most of Marx. How many people have read ALL of Das Kapital?)[/quote]

Ha. Very, very few.

I always like this one:

“We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately”

Franklin, I think in 1776

“As we must account for every idle word, so we must for every idle silence.”
~Ben Franklin

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”
~Albert Einstein

“If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”
~George S. Patton

“One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence.”
~Charles Austin Beard

“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive.”
~Thomas Jefferson

“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.”
~Thomas Jefferson

“Senator John McCain recently compared the situation in Iraq to the Vietnam era - to which President Bush replied, ‘What does Iraq have in common with drinking beer in Texas?’”
~Craig Kilborn

As your attorney, I have to reccomend more tequila and definately alot of mescaline.

Raoul Duke’s 300 lb. Samoan Attorney. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Hunter S. Thompson

A smile and a gun will always get you more than a smile. Al Capone

Dream like your going to live forever, live like your going to die today. James Dean

Did you use enough dynamite?
Butch Cassidy to the Sundance Kid after blowing the bank to shreds.

I want to stay here only marginally more than I want to die trying to leave.
John Belushi - Continental Divide

You can put it anywhere you want

-That fat chick (you know the one) at 2am

Yes, it is inspiring, it inspires me want to dispell all those beer calories I just consumed.

“I came here to say that I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life, no matter who makes the claim, how great their need, or how great their number. It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.”

--- Ayn Rand, from her novel
    THE FOUNTAINHEAD

“We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and that among these are the rights of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,…”

Those truly are amazing words, Headhunter…

This is one that I try to Live by:

(It hangs in my office)

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better; whether by a happy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even ONE life has breathed easier because you lived…this is to have succeeded.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mufasa

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.