The Soaring Words Thread

Hey guys,

We’ve got an Ass Worship thread and a Who’s Got the Best Rack thread. How about a thread of inspiring words? I’ll start.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and that among these are the rights of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,…”

How can anyone read these words and not feel uplifted?

BTW: This was from memory, while at work, so forgive any errors.

" All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

" Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. "

" At age 50, every man has the face he deserves. "

" Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. "

" If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. "

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

"War is war. The only good human being is a dead one. "

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them. "

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. "

-  All from George Orwell

“There never was a time when, in my opinion, some way could not be found to
prevent the drawing of the sword.”

“The right of revolution is an inherent one. When people are oppressed by
their government, it is a natural right they enjoy to relieve themselves of
oppression, if they are strong enough, whether by withdrawal from it, or by
overthrowing it and substituting a government more acceptable.”

"I know only two tunes: one of them is “Yankee Doodle,” and the other isn’t. "

"In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins. "

"Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private school, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate. "

- U.S. Grant

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.

I heartily accept the motto, “That government is best which governs least”; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically.

Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison

Wherever a man goes, men will pursue him and paw him with their dirty institutions, and, if they can, constrain him to belong to their desperate oddfellow society.

All endeavor calls for the ability to tramp the last mile, shape the last plan, endure the last hours toil. The fight to the finish spirit is the one… characteristic we must posses if we are to face the future as finishers.

As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.

Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.

H.D. Thoreau

You found those quotes uplifting? Here’s a chew toy for you, while I get back to the thread:

“And now, cloud upon cloud rolled over the Spirit, until at last Madness preached, ‘All things pass away; therefore all things deserve to pass away’. Thus preached Madness.”

--- Nietzsche (Zarathustra)

“We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight in the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing strength and with growing confidence in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender…until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and and the liberation of the Old.”
— Winston Churchill
House of Commons
June 4th, 1940

This was a true T-man. Imagine standing, alone and unaided, and saying the above, facing the Nazis.

If most people put half the fucking effort into working that they do into pissing and moaning, the world would not be so full of pathetic underachievers.
– Eric Midkiff

PRESS ON. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
– Calvin Coolidge

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight in the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing strength and with growing confidence in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender…until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and and the liberation of the Old.”

--- Winston Churchill
             House of Commons
             June 4th, 1940

This was a true T-man. Imagine standing, alone and unaided, and saying the above, facing the Nazis.[/quote]

At the time he was labled as a warmongering tyrant that was dumd and arrogant…

Gee, why does that sound so familiar?

Good Topic!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” Samual Adams

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” Mark Twain

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

“People think that one day they will wake up and be rich, truth is they are half right one day they will wake up.”
Edison

“The only way for the profit of evil is that good men do nothing” Sir Edmund burke

“Here I go with my shot,
feet fail me not,
this may be the only opportunity that
I got!”
— Eminem

“You can do anything you set your mind to, man.”
— Same

We expect the states to show us whether or not we’re achieving simple objectives?like literacy, literacy in math, the ability to read and write."?on federal education requirements, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

“It’s in our country’s interests to find those who would do harm to us and get them out of harm’s way.”?Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

“Part of the facts is understanding we have a problem, and part of the facts is what you’re going to do about it.”?Kirtland, Ohio, April 15, 2005

“Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN’s aren’t able to practice their love with women all across the country.”?Sept. 6, 2004, Poplar Bluff, Mo.

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”?Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

“I glance at the headlines just to kind of get a flavor for what’s moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves.”?Washington, D.C., Sept. 21, 2003

“I’m the master of low expectations.”?Aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

And, how could we forget…

“You’re doing a heck of a job, Brownie.”

Inspiring words from an inspiring man.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
“Here I go with my shot,
feet fail me not,
this may be the only opportunity that
I got!”
— Eminem

“You can do anything you set your mind to, man.”
— Same[/quote]

Nothing like seeing a 6’7 old white guy from Ohio quoting Eminem. Humourous :wink:

Nice, Harris

from hagakure<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Human life is truly a short affair. It is better to live doing the things that you like. It is foolish to live within this dream of a world seeing unpleasantness and doing only things that you do not like. But it is important never to tell this to young people as it is something that would be harmful if incorrectly understood.

Personally, I like to sleep. And I intend to appropriately confine myself more and more to my living quarters and pass my life away sleeping. "

-yamamoto tsunetomo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

my kinda samurai :slight_smile:

“We must all learn to live together as brothers, or perish together as fools.”
— MLKing

Here’s one for Irish:

“Being driven from their ancestral homes, a force is gathering across the Atlantic. Someday, the English will regret this bitterly.”

--- Karl Marx
           Das Kapital (Vol II)

(Yes, I’ve read most of Marx. How many people have read ALL of Das Kapital?)

[quote]harris447 wrote:
We expect the states to show us whether or not we’re achieving simple objectives?like literacy, literacy in math, the ability to read and write."?on federal education requirements, Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

“It’s in our country’s interests to find those who would do harm to us and get them out of harm’s way.”?Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

“Part of the facts is understanding we have a problem, and part of the facts is what you’re going to do about it.”?Kirtland, Ohio, April 15, 2005

“Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN’s aren’t able to practice their love with women all across the country.”?Sept. 6, 2004, Poplar Bluff, Mo.

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”?Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

“I glance at the headlines just to kind of get a flavor for what’s moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves.”?Washington, D.C., Sept. 21, 2003

“I’m the master of low expectations.”?Aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

And, how could we forget…

“You’re doing a heck of a job, Brownie.”

Inspiring words from an inspiring man.
[/quote]

Isn’t this more ‘sore’ than soaring?

[quote]RHINO928 wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

--- Winston Churchill
             House of Commons
             June 4th, 1940

This was a true T-man. Imagine standing, alone and unaided, and saying the above, facing the Nazis.

At the time he was labled as a warmongering tyrant that was dumd and arrogant…

Gee, why does that sound so familiar?

Good Topic!

[/quote]

This speech was right after the Dunkirk evacuation. True, he was regarded as a warmonger before this. Then the British realized they NEEDED a warrior. Churchill became PM on May10th, just as Hitler attacked France. This is considered his greatest peroration.

HH

“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed.”

-Booker T. Washington

“istory affords us many instances of the ruin of states, by the prosecution of measures ill suited to the temper and genius of their people. The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy… These measures never fail to create great and violent jealousies and animosities between the people favored and the people oppressed; whence a total separation of affections, interests, political obligations, and all manner of connections, by which the whole state is weakened.”

" am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

“Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.”

-Franklin

“Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.”

“We have become ninety-nine percent money mad. The method of living at home modestly and within our income, laying a little by systematically for the proverbial rainy day which is due to come, can almost be listed among the lost arts.”

-George Washington Carver

“At the establishment of our constitutions, the judiciary bodies were supposed to be the most helpless and harmless members of the government. Experience, however, soon showed in what way they were to become the most dangerous; that the insufficiency of the means provided for their removal gave them a freehold and irresponsibility in office; that their decisions, seeming to concern individual suitors only, pass silent and unheeded by the public at large; that these decisions, nevertheless, become law by precedent, sapping, by little and little, the foundations of the constitution, and working its change by construction, before any one has perceived that that invisible and helpless worm has been busily employed in consuming its substance. In truth, man is not made to be trusted for life, if secured against all liability to account.”

“Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.”

-Jefferson

“The differense between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination”, Tommy Lasorda

" What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight- it’s the size of the fight in the dog", Dwight D Eisenhower

" Any time you think you have influence, try ordering around someone elses dog", Unknown

" Always bear in mind that your own resolution to suceed is more important than any one thing", Abraham Lincoln

Bullpup

“My advice to you is to start drinking heavily”
John Belushi
Animal House

These are some great quotes, some quite moving.