T Nation

The Slippery Slope

You may think, at first, that this should belong in the beginners section. This is not aimed at the beginners of T-Nation, this is in fact aimed at those who think they can stand on their own two feet, but are slowly sliding down that slippery slope. A savage slope it is, when your progress is stuttering and your gains are spluttering, and yet you pass it off as being because you are intermediate now, and you can expect to have slower gains, right?

I will be one of the first, in a long time, to admit that I am sliding. I have looked in to the abyss that is my training. I don't even know how it happened, but I simply stopped writing down my progress. I stopped tracking every day I trained, and I didn't know exactly what I was meant to be beating.
Now don't get me wrong, I certainly had a goal. To beat my bench press. To put on size. To do this and that, but I neither qualified or quantified the steps it took to reach those goals. Bodybuilding is hard, I know, because the only quantification you have is the scale. I know that your goals are hard to reach, and each steak, and every liter of milk you drink seems to count, and that is all you know. But you need to overload...

It sounds simple, but I am going to ignore what I thought I needed to do. I am going to forget the voices in my head that tell me X is better than Y. I am going to go back to basics, because that is what I need. My body may be far beyond the basics, but it could also be far behind the basics too. I don't want to guess anymore. I don't want to gripe over how advanced I am. I will write everything down, and I will see my progress in the records, and with it should come gains.

I am going back to basics. I am Starting Strength.

great post and what you talk about is very true. Constant reassesment of your program is necessary for those who aren't really advanced or don't know what they are doing too well. Sometimes people simply forget that observable gains in bodybuilding come over long periods of time and so start switching hard exercises for easier ones because "come on, it's not like its gonna really matter if I squat today or not." And after that happens for the first time it starts becoming a habit.

I'd argue it is 100% necessary for everyone

you should treat your training as a part time job or small buisiness and your product is your progress . constantly acess reacess and make slight adjustments as you need .