The Singularity is Near

Has anyone read the book “The Singularity is Near” by Ray Kurzweil.

Fascinating book about the prediction of humans transcending biological constraints.

Thoughts or comments?

[quote]hedo wrote:

Fascinating book about the prediction of humans transcending biological constraints.

Thoughts or comments?[/quote]

Never read it but have been interested in singularities since junior high school. I was obviously not a normal kid.

What are the ‘biological constraints’?

This site provides information people can use to improve their bodies-which is great.The body is still just food.

The entire universe contributes t the excistence of every single body in it.

Mind over matter?

Mind is matter and matter is mind.I remember reading that whenever matter organizes itself consciousness appears.

In biology class I just learned that the foundation for life was made when sulphur and other elements in water formed amino acids after being hit by lightning.

There are humans who transcend what we normally think of as ‘biological constraints’.Yogis who can slow down their heartbeat and breath or stab a knife through their arm without bleeding.Monks who can raise their body temperature in a cold room,wrapped in a cold banket to such high levels that an hour later the blanket is dry.

Since everthing is cyclical,it seems likely that the human species will break out from identification with the body,thus transcending it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
hedo wrote:

Thoughts or comments?

Never read it but have been interested in singularities since junior high school. I was obviously not a normal kid.[/quote]

I got it for Christmas. Fascinating theories. As a Doc you may get a kick out of some of the predictions the author makes about the merger of biology and technology. Just incredible to me.

If 1/2 of it comes to pass, we are in for a wild ride over the next 30 years.

Here’s a link to a speech the author gave. Good summary of his book.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/9334/exponentially_expanding_future_from_exponentially_shrinking_technology.html?breadcrumb=default

I read a good portion of the book and found some of his “thories” a bit fantastic to actually put any faith in. But who knows, anything is possible.