The Shaving Cream Racket

[quote]MrChill wrote:
squatdude wrote:
Thanks for the post.

You are welcome.

Any anti-racket, back-to-basics, less-is-more suggestions are always welcome, too, like this one: Natural Deodorant, crystal deodorant stone Products (http://www.pureandnaturaldeodorant.com/productCat49926.ctlg). I think my $5 purchase will last a year. Chemical free. And works fine. I was skeptical at first, but it passed a 30-degrees-Celsius test day flawlessly.[/quote]

1. That deodorant is just a hippy, bullshit scam. If that is all you are using, you stink. Maybe no-one has told you yet, but you do.

2. Shaving cream is cheap as can be. One $4 tube of King of Shaves gel lasts forever, and it has little silicon balls that let the razor just roll over your face. Brilliant.

Agreed.

Biggest. Scam. Ever.

(Next to auto insurance.)

Interesting article… perhaps this is why I’m getting so many ingrown hairs. Hmm… I’ll lay off the gel for a week to see what happens. Shaving in the shower is nice as it softens the whiskers up.

In the past I used soap, which I found worked very well. Seems I might have to dump the gel if the test goes well…

~V

I spilt some shaving foam on the bathroom door once it took the paint right off.

yea, but whatever all of you say, it really makes a difference depending on the type(thickness) of your beard. maybe where the beard covers(neck/not).

i have a very thick beard and im not taking advice from somebody who a “spic stash”.

a little fuzz and a full-on-face-forestry are two different worlds.

All about king of shaves!

I shave dry with a safety razor. I used to use a cutthroat razor, but quickly learnt where it got its name.

Shaving cream can be good sometimes though.

The ancient Romans didn’t use soap, they used a piece of bronze to scrape the dirt off their skin. Did it work? Was it better than soap?

Ancient Egyptians used a rock with a lot of aluminium in it for underarm anti-perspirant. It worked. Todays’ stuff is full of aluminium and works on same principle.

[quote]doogie wrote:

1. That deodorant is just a hippy, bullshit scam. If that is all you are using, you stink. Maybe no-one has told you yet, but you do.[/quote]

Maybe you’re right. For the record, it’s been over a month since I started using it, and nobody indeed has said anything yet, including the girlfriend and Ms-my-nose-is-so-sensitive-that-I-get-headaches-from-any-odor-that-is-slightly-above-average at the office. Might not be strong enough for Texan climate, though.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
I shave dry with a safety razor. I used to use a cutthroat razor, but quickly learnt where it got its name.

Shaving cream can be good sometimes though.

The ancient Romans didn’t use soap, they used a piece of bronze to scrape the dirt off their skin. Did it work? Was it better than soap?

Ancient Egyptians used a rock with a lot of aluminium in it for underarm anti-perspirant. It worked. Todays’ stuff is full of aluminium and works on same principle. [/quote]

Thanks for the info. I was considering trying a cutthroat razor, but I’ll forget it.

As for the aluminium, here’s what I found:

http://www.pureandnaturaldeodorant.com/aluminumquestions.ivnu

I hope they’re right.

Hot water on the face, shave, water, shave, rinse. A little cocoa butter to keep the skin moisturised and all done. Fancypants foam, pah! A couple quid for a pack of 10 razors (with the little strip thingy on it) and I’m done.

I also have a theory that deoderants MAKE you stink and cause you to buy more.

The day I put any – ANY – type of oil on my face will be a cold day in hell. I’m waaaay to breakout-prone to even think of that. Trust me.

[quote]Blood is Metal wrote:
Agreed.

Biggest. Scam. Ever.

(Next to auto insurance.)[/quote]

You have obviously never been in an accident where it was your fault and someone was seriously injured. The problem is people use it like an auto repair mechanism instead of for the bigger claims, so everyone suffers.

V

Good alternative to shaving cream is hair conditioner. Costs less for a big bottle of Suave, lasts longer, does a great job with any razor.

I am considering investing in a good straight razor and strop and going that route from now on. Did some quick math aad it’ll probably pay for itself in a year vs buying blades.

You total cheap bastards.

Just try this for an investment…

1 shaving brush (with badger hair)
1 double edged old skool john wayne type razor.
palmolive soap.

Cheap as chips, no scam and been producing results for ever. You can always add baby or shaving oil UNDER the shaving soap - the palmolive has no added chemicals and perfumes which is the real reasons your faces turn to mush and sting like a bastard.

I too tried the shave without any foam.

It does work.

This water racket is what grinds my beans. Shaving with a sharp rock is the only way to stick it to “the man”.

in the interest of science and sherrif will teasle, i’m doing the 5 day test.

day 1. mach 3. new blade.

i didn’t like not lathering up my face. i hope no one tells my dad. shaving w/o the lather (normally i use neutrogena razor defense gel) straight up hurt on every stroke. especially difficult were the neck and over the lip.

shaving took twice as long as normal. maybe longer. also had to lighten the touch quite a bit and the shave was not as close. normally i shave with the grain and then finish against the grain. the against the grain strokes are what give me the close shave and i couldn’t really do this without the lather.

overall the shave i got today was …ok. on a scale of 1 to 10 best/worst shaves i give it a 4… while shaving dry i didn’t, since i wasn’t born yet, suffer any vietnam flashbacks. but i did for a moment think i heard my old girlfriend calling me an asshole…also my face/ neck are on fire and i have some nice razor burn that i’ve smothered in aloe. no cuts, but i’d rather have a cut than razor burn/rash. people will definitely look at me with pity today.

it’s not so bad that i won’t stick with this experiment and see if my skin/shaving technique adapt like that dork in the article promises.

i did ask myself “why am i doing this ?”
and after thinking entirely too long, i shrugged out a "life is kinda boring right now and doing this beats re-runs of that 70’s show " and moved on.

stay tuned for day 2.

Hey, you wanna get hardcore - a pair of plier and just pluck each one of them bad boys out. The results will speak for themselves…

[quote]The Beast wrote:
I too tried the shave without any foam.

It does work.

This water racket is what grinds my beans. Shaving with a sharp rock is the only way to stick it to “the man”.[/quote]

Water companies are just trying to rip us off.

If you must shave wet I suggest urine. Don’t waste the money for potable water on your face.

Used motor oil is also good. Hot from the engine is best.

Some of the shaving routines remind me of American Psycho.

“Sure, but first, i will have to get ready by applying a deep poor cleanser lotion, and then a water activated gel cleanser then a honey almond body scrub, then an exfoliating gel scrub. Then i’ll apply an herb mint facial mask, but none of this includes alcohol…because alchohol dries your skin out, and makes you look older”

I shaved in the shower this morning using regular soap. Worked pretty good and saved me some time.