The Secret of American Foreign Affairs

LA,

Very amusing article. I believe the French passions are clay-court tennis and cycling. Read into that what you will…

I preferred American Football when it disallowed pads and forward passing and commercial breaks and was called “Rugby”.

I keep up the hope that the CFL will go bankrupt and return to Rugby. It is to my eternal shame that we invented the sport.

-Glee

PS. In all seriousness, I can appreciate the highly elaborate playmaking of Canadian-Style Football, but I do prefer Rugby Football for its viscera and camaraderie.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I’d pay cash to get the ball and have e-hater between me and the goal line.

Jeffy, are you having violent masturbatory Internet tough guy fantasies again?

[Where else did you think the alter ego “Cream” comes from…][/quote]

Yikes that’s pretty disturbing, I think we need to get the one man who can stop this repugnant behavior…

Zeb, Oh Zeb, jerffy is having violent masturbatory fantasies and posting them… can you throw them robes on real quick and squelch this disgusting behavior!

You guys are funny…

But since I love football and languish in a sports limbo until the season starts again, I can see a certain correlation if not causation between the American love of football and its military success. Sort of like the gladiatorial games in Rome. But there is certainly more to it than football.

Soccer is a pretty wussy sport unless it’s being played by women. ;p

WMD

elkhntr1 wrote:

“But, if I was between you and the goal line, who would I be looking at… you are creamsy? or both? Any hoo, bring it on if you’re ever in Co. Don’t fantasize, actualize, make it happen jerffy.”

Can I have your ok in advance to post pics?

If you’ve played, you guys remember the drill where you have two hitting bags shoulder width apart.

Usually it’s the offensive lineman protecting the ball carrier while the DT is trying to get said back.

Let’s forget about the O-lineman. Let’s have e-hater as the down lineman and me with the ball.

Please wear your “I hate cops” or “john “Chicks dig windsurfers, bitch”” kerry shirt on.

Ok, can you meet me halfway? How about the Indiana/Illinois border?

I’m warming up to the idea.

JeffR

WMD wrote:
You guys are funny…

But since I love football and languish in a sports limbo until the season starts again, I can see a certain correlation if not causation between the American love of football and its military success. Sort of like the gladiatorial games in Rome. But there is certainly more to it than football.

Soccer is a pretty wussy sport unless it’s being played by women. ;p

WMD

Great post!!!

I’m also hurting badly right about now.

Anyone else get SICK of baseball “highlights.”

If you are going to go on the gear, you might as well get big.

I hear about who is on the juice (minus Canseco/McGuire) and I usually laugh. You can’t freakin’ tell. I have 18-20 year old NATURAL guys at my gym that make those guys look weak.

Anyway, I’d take a live college football practice video over the deciding game of the world series.

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
I hear about who is on the juice (minus Canseco/McGuire) and I usually laugh. You can’t freakin’ tell. I have 18-20 year old NATURAL guys at my gym that make those guys look weak.

Anyway, I’d take a live college football practice video over the deciding game of the world series.

JeffR
[/quote]

Yeah, you’d think these guys would actually, I don’t know, lift a weight or something and give the gear something to do.

I second the college football practice video suggestion. Someone let ESPN know.

WMD

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
LA wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
I disagree with this accessment.

I disagree with your spelling of “assessment.”

LA

I agree with your disagreement.

The first sign of a someone losing in a debate on a message board it their correction of typing or grammar.

Carry on…[/quote]

Marmadog, I was simply being a smartass, poking fun at your spelling.

I found this article on a football site and found it amusing. I thought I would share it.

That is all.

LA (carrying on… and apparantly losing a debate that I didn’t know I was in)

e-hater,

The more I think about this the more I like it.

While I’m driving you into the ground, maybe hoosierdaddy can kick a ball over our heads.

I’ll yell, “it’s good.”

Then, “Get the hell off the field, kicker!!!”

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Let’s get a game of Football going between the liberals and the Conservatives.

I’d pay cash to get the ball and have e-hater between me and the goal line.

Or, imagine the look on lumpy’s face if he saw Cream bearing down on him.

My God, that would be good.

JeffR[/quote]

If the libs won the Conservatives would deny the loss and launch a smear campaign against our star QB whose superior leadership led the team to victory. The Cons would probably accuse him of being a child molestor, pervert, sexist, homosexual, and father of a illegimate African American child.

I only wish I were kidding.

"If the libs won the Conservatives would deny the loss and launch a smear campaign against our star QB whose superior leadership led the team to victory. The Cons would probably accuse him of being a child molestor, pervert, sexist, homosexual, and father of a illegimate African American child.

I only wish I were kidding."

I disagree with everything you just said: the dems wouldn’t play.

I’m not kidding.

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
"If the libs won the Conservatives would deny the loss and launch a smear campaign against our star QB whose superior leadership led the team to victory. The Cons would probably accuse him of being a child molestor, pervert, sexist, homosexual, and father of a illegimate African American child.

I only wish I were kidding."

I disagree with everything you just said: the dems wouldn’t play.

I’m not kidding.

JeffR

[/quote]

You’re stupid and I’ve been told that I should forgive stupid people because it’s not their fault. I forgive you, JeffR.

Wasn’t it in Back to School that Robert Downey Jr. called football a violent ground acquisition game and a cryptofascist metaphor for nuclear war?

I normally wouldnt post (and this is my first one, go figure) but i have to stand up for soccer. I love american football, but soccer is the perfect sport.

Football (and rugby) is a power sport, won in the trenches, with aspects of speed.

Basketball is all about quickness and agility, with by and large no significant contact (unless your playing against Mutumbo and his elbows).

Boxing works, but its not a team sport, and theres nothing quite like playing at a high level with 10 other people.

Soccer is perfect. No other sport combines the power of a centre back with the quickness of a winger into one seamless game.
Other sports simply restrict thier athletes too much. Shaq, for all his strengh, isnt allowed to intimidate people the way john terry can. D Hall, with his pads on, cant match the fluid grace of Thierry Henry.

I realize its not the preffered sport of most here, but realize that a sport does not become the most popular in the world for no reason.

As for the article, i thought it was brilliant, i laughed out loud at least 5 times. esp the line about the two soccer fans sitting in their recliners discussing the game over a glass of wine, or whatever he said. Absolutely Amazing.

Quick someone write an article about the Chinese army and ping pong.

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
Quick someone write an article about the Chinese army and ping pong.[/quote]

Damn, you should’ve changed your location in your profile. Now you will receive some nice anti-candian sentiment…

“Ha! You’re from Canada! You have no right to say anything because you weren’t born in some shithole town here in the U.S.! Now gimme some lumber.”

Um, no. I’m amazed that you say I’m off base when you’re here putting words in my mouth. Where did I say - or even imply - that TV defined me or that our mass media is better than Canada’s? The whole TV angle came up because YOU brought it up. Let me refresh your memory:

You still haven’t answered my question about whether you actually played American football or were even remotely a serious athlete. But I’m pretty sure the answer is no.

That part of the article was over the top, but you can’t argue with the mentality of the game itself. Soccer is definitely nothing like American football. There’s still the demand of making quick decisions in a dynamic and exhausting environment, but you’re not under nearly the same physical punishment in soccer than you would be in football. It’s truly a unique sport. To the guy that compared it to rugby, I know you were just being sarcastic, but the two sports definitly share fewer similarities than differences.

Also, as far as pads go, American football has very different tackling than Rugby. If you were to hit people in American football with no pads on, there would be a lot of fatalities. In fact, American football was outlawed in the US early in the 20th century because of this. That’s why pads were instituted in the first place.

I personally don’t like soccer because so many players flop left and right and stay on the ground crying for minutes to get calls.

I must say that the fans are die hard mofos though.

ENGLAND

The FA was founded in 1863 as the governing body of the game in England.Football as we know it dates back to 1863, when the chief clubs and schools playing their own versions of the game met to form “The Football Association”.

Various forms of football have been played all over the world for centuries. “Mob” football, as it is known, came to England in the 11th century and was very different from any of the codes played today. The game often involved hundreds of people and very few rules, but was still hugely popular. In the 15th and 16th centuries it was banned because of the damage caused by the participants and also because it interfered with the practice of archery - vital to the defence of the country before the development of gunpowder.

When the boys of Rugby School left they took the game with them and clubs sprang up all over England and in the colonies where they worked either as service personnel or administrators.

By 1870 it became clear that the game was being played to a variety of rules.
In December 1870 Edwin Ash, Secretary of Richmond Club put a letter in the papers which said, “Those who play the rugby-type game should meet to form a code of practice as various clubs play to rules which differ from others, which makes the game difficult to play”.

On 26th January 1871 a meeting was held in London attended by over 30 people from 22 clubs and schools. As a result of this meeting the Rugby Football Union

U.S.A

Rutgers and Princeton played a college soccer football game, the first ever, November 6. The game used modified London Football Association rules. During the next seven years, rugby gained favor with the major eastern schools over soccer, and modern football began to develop from rugby.
At the Massasoit convention, the first rules for American football were written. Walter Camp, who would become known as the father of American football, first became involved with the game.

The American Professional Football Association changed its name to the National Football League, June 24 1922.