The Secret About the Mediterranean Diet

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Well, bringing back a fresh fish from the local market and preparing it in my hotel room, I somehow get the impression that this would be frowned upon. :wink:

Like I said, I’m at the mercy of my collegues and clients there and this is the food I’m getting. Or, often, not getting.

Skipping lunch won’t kill me, I’m sure.
But skipping first breakfast, then lunch and having my first decent meal around 20.00, well that sort of pisses me off. I’m a bit peculiar that way. Especially when it happens a couple of days over the week.

Looking back at my post, it may give the impression I’m bashing Greece and the Greeks somehow. I didn’t mean to. I’m just very unlucky and frustrated the minute someone else has some say over what I eat.

Last year my brother had a big bbq in his garden. Since it’s only half an hour drive from where I workout, I went there immediatly after my training. To my disappointment my genius brother had the bright idea of having a bbq without meat. Actuaaly without any other sources of protein either. So that was fun.

We regularly have meetings at HQ, which is a 4 hour drive from where I live. These morons never fail to be surprised when we turn up around noon, all hungry and looking for food.
“Hi guys, welcome”
me: “yeah yeah yeah, where’s the food?”
“Food? Are you hungry already? Again?”

I’m just saying, the minute somebody else has any say on what I’m eating, I’m fucked.

So now I’m taking food with me where ever I go.

Which tends to embarass people because everybody somehow has the impression they’re a hospitable people.[/quote]

Your oviously telling the truth about your experiences wreckless and I feel very sorry and embarassed. Any time I’ve been to Greece i have to beg them to stop feeding me! In the working class village I’m from they eat Breakfast, lunch and Dinner just like here in North America.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Last year my brother had a big bbq in his garden. Since it’s only half an hour drive from where I workout, I went there immediatly after my training. To my disappointment my genius brother had the bright idea of having a bbq without meat. Actuaaly without any other sources of protein either. So that was fun.[/quote]

To quote a wise American Sage:

All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say ‘Yo Goober! Where’s the meat!?’. I’m trying to impress people here. You don’t win friends with salad.

[quote]BackUp wrote:
Let me say, wreckless, it’s good that you realize that the Mediterranean diet actually is in fact the diet of the Greeks.

[/quote]

no, the mediterainian diet is not just developed from the greeks. The origonal information came from the diets of some of the italian cohorts of the Seven Countries Studies by Ancel Keys

And its not the current diet of the populatons, its a 30-40year old ideal. The greek population is nearly as overweight/obese as the USA population

[quote]Whisper9999 wrote:
The Med Diet is legit and almost for sure decrease rates of most debilitating disease and increase max life span. .[/quote]

which mediteranian diet? there are around 18 countries with borders on the mediteranian.

[quote]minilifter wrote:
To quote a wise American Sage:

All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say ‘Yo Goober! Where’s the meat!?’. I’m trying to impress people here. You don’t win friends with salad.

[/quote]

A great quote indeed.

?Greeks seem to have a dietary pattern other than the Mediterranean one because the average diet score was low,?

The Italian diet (call it med if you like) is a good example of a diet high in useful stuff like lycopene, good intake of phenolic compounds and mono-unsaturated fat as found in Olive oil, low intake of crap like margerine and a moderate consumption of red wine.

The reason they say stuff like Mediterranean people may be more active longer is a chemical called oleocanthal found in Olive Oil which has marked anti-inflammtory properties as well as the phenols in Olive Oil keeping blood vessels and the like in good shape.

Lycopene and other carotenoids prevent cancers and are powerful antixodants in their own right and the red wine of course contains resveratrol,red anthocyanin pigments, other polyphenols and antioxidants.

Italy is prob the a good example of the Med diet, unless anyone Italian or who lives there will chime in and say everyone lives on Mars Bars, Coke and KFC.

It’s quite simple why the opinions differ, why it is overlooked I do not know. People from greek descent and greece know that food is a HUGE component of bonding etc, everything revolves around food, you go to someones house they feed you, you see a friend who owns a restaraunt they feed you…it’s the family thing, greek mothers never stop feeding their kids…but if your visiting you don’t know anyone and have to go out of your way to find the food…greeks don’t eat out alot, they tend to enjoy making their food etc, I think thats the diff.

I’ve worked in a a greek restaraunt for 4 years, and they’re like family the owners dad “papou” is 70 and I don’t know how the fuck he is alive…like EVERYTHING has ridculous amounts of oil on it, pasta is everywhere, fatty cuts of meats, however he does eat lots of veggies too, I think it’s the fact that he access to these things now and indulges, like he puts WAY to much oil on everything…

I been following a modified med diet for a little while and love it. But, I am not a pro athlete, I am just a guy who enjoys lifting heavy.

The diet is very healthy and has been linked to reducing various health issues. It isnt A fat lost or muscle building diet. That being said I modified it to fit my needs, by consuming more eggs and beef then suggested and having larger portion sizes. I lost couple lbs and I am getting stronger in the gym. If you want a healthier diet, try it, but modifiy it, because it is low in calories and protien.

Whoa, diggin’ deep for this 10year old post!

But it was a bit entertaining skimming through it…

I didnt even realize it was 10 years old… it popped on my screen saying discussion I may like… sorry