T Nation

The Search for a New Routine

First of all I’ve been on these routine for awhile while mixing a lot of things up, rep ranges and weights and different exercises. I’ve had some good results with this routine so far but want to switch things up because the best workout is the one you’re not on! I’ve been having some trouble finding one though.

My goals are to gain size and hypertrophy. I’m pretty fit already and I eat healthy and try to eat as much as I can because my metabolism is pretty quick. I just want to gain muscle and as much of it as possible. I’m 170 lbs and 5’11.

Here’s my current routine and some feedback on the current one would be much appreciated as well as some suggestions on what new routine I should start on.
Note: My chest is my weaker spot and I want to really bring it out so I do a lot of chest exercises, hardest of the three workouts.

Monday

DB Flat Bench Press 4 x 8-10
DB Incline Bench Press 4 x 8-10
DB Decline Bench Press 4 x 8-10
DB Lying Triceps Extension 4 x 8-10
DB Lying Flyes 4 x 8-10
Parallel Dips 4 x 12-20, to failure
Cable Crossover 4 x 12-14
Captain’s Chair 4 x 16
Hyperextensions 4 x 16 (using 35lbs)
Bicyle Crunch 4 x 30

Tuesday

Deadlifts 4 x 6-8
Pullups 4 x 12-16, to failure
Chin-Ups 4 x 12-16, to failure
Seated Row 4 x 8-10
One Arm Machine Low Row 4 x 10-12
Barbell Curl 4 x 8-10
DB Curl 4 x 8-10

Wednesday

Back Squat 4 x 6-8
Leg Press 4 x 10-12
DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8-10
DB Lateral Raise 4 x 8-10
DB Rear Lateral Raise 4 x 8-10
DB Shrugs 4 x 12-16

I’ll then continue the workout plans Thurs/Fri/Sat and have Sunday off.

I really like going to the gym and I’m extremely motivated and would prefer going 6 days a week rather than 3 or 4 because I work my ass off and really want to see some results. SO far I’m progressing nicely, 6 months ago I weighed 150 lbs and I’ve just put on muscle mostly.

Whenever I see someone working out with that frequency, one workout comes to mind.

Max O-T. It’s 5 days per week, one (mostly) body part per day. I’ve done this and liked it and will do it again.

Mon- Chest
Tue- Back
Wed- Legs
Thu- Delts
Fri- Bi’s/Tri’s

6-9 sets of 4-6 reps for the large muscle days and 4-5 sets or 4-6 reps for the smaller muscles.

Several warm-ups then 1-3 sets per exercise. You need to absolutely bust your ass to failure on every work set which you’d have to get used to by looking at your volume.

It’d be a nice change for a while anyway.

I’ve used max-OT before also and had nice results. As stated It’s mostly with heavy weight rep range 4-6 so a lot of focus on those type II fibers. If you respond well to higher rep ranges it might not be for you, but definately a great program.

ast-ss.com

it will be on the upper right of the page.