T Nation

The Scale of 2WW

As an expert of the subject I find this really well made and informational video about the 2WW and its casualties. Just wanted to share.

That was amazing…and very eye-opening.

Mufasa

[quote]Rattus wrote:

As an expert of the subject I find this really well made and informational video about the 2WW and its casualties. Just wanted to share. [/quote]

Wow… 70 million people. 70 million, that’s a hard number to wrap your brain around. A major war by major powers, given our capabilities is hard to even grasp. If we went to war with China or Russia, who knows what the numbers would be. Especially, since these two in particular would not think twice about civilian casualties, theirs or ours.

I have a degree in history, and i wish i could unlearn some of the things which went on during the war, particularly on the eastern front.

Same here. I have read a lot of stuff about the eastern front, visited many places in Eastern Europe, and produced some of my own essays about the subject. But even now, the scale and brutality of the front still overwhelms me.

Not going to downgrade western front or the efforts there, but it was living hell in any aspect in the east.

The killing of course did not stop in 1945, it went on for many years after that. I know this from personal experience of family members.

Nor did it start at 1939. There are areas which have been under hostilities regularly for hundreds of years. Their positioning between Western and Eastern Europe has become a huge burden through history.

[quote]Rattus wrote:
Same here. I have read a lot of stuff about the eastern front, visited many places in Eastern Europe, and produced some of my own essays about the subject. But even now, the scale and brutality of the front still overwhelms me.

Not going to downgrade western front or the efforts there, but it was living hell in any aspect in the east. [/quote]

Oh you aren’t demeaning the western front by saying the eastern front was way worse. It was. It was plain horrifying.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Rattus wrote:

As an expert of the subject I find this really well made and informational video about the 2WW and its casualties. Just wanted to share. [/quote]

Wow… 70 million people. 70 million, that’s a hard number to wrap your brain around. A major war by major powers, given our capabilities is hard to even grasp. If we went to war with China or Russia, who knows what the numbers would be. Especially, since these two in particular would not think twice about civilian casualties, theirs or ours. [/quote]

Of course there never will be peace it is just too dangerous!
Read:
“REPORT FROM IRON MOUNTAIN: ON THE
POSSIBILITY AND DESIRABILITY OF PEACE”

Very interesting.

reading Anthony Beevor’s “Berlin” was quite the eye opener. Honestly, WW2 is the ultimate abyss. Learning more about it harms you more and more.
You lose a part of yourself acquiring the knowledge, every time.

My history teachers just conveniently left out the wonderful outcome of turning over half the world to communism and what our gallant ally the Soviet Union, headed by Uncle Joe, was doing to people before, during, and after the war. Oh, like, starvation, show trials, imprisonment, slave labor, torture, and having its citizens live in utter misery and despair. They also conveniently left out the millions of Latvians, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Czechs, Germans, and god knows who else that was sent to the gulags to be overworked, tortured, starved, and killed.

Let’s see what else they left out when explaining WW II’s conduct and cause. Wait, I can’t discuss that because that would be politically incorrect and PI people are repressed.

Legalsteel is right. The more I learn about it, the more infuriating and saddening the whole matter is.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
My history teachers just conveniently left out the wonderful outcome of turning over half the world to communism and what our gallant ally the Soviet Union, headed by Uncle Joe, was doing to people before, during, and after the war. Oh, like, starvation, show trials, imprisonment, slave labor, torture, and having its citizens live in utter misery and despair. They also conveniently left out the millions of Latvians, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Czechs, Germans, and god knows who else that was sent to the gulags to be overworked, tortured, starved, and killed.

Let’s see what else they left out when explaining WW II’s conduct and cause. Wait, I can’t discuss that because that would be politically incorrect and PI people are repressed.

Legalsteel is right. The more I learn about it, the more infuriating and saddening the whole matter is. [/quote]

Soviets were just as bad as the Nazi’s and could be argued they were much worse considering their atrocities continued long after anyone was killed by a nazi.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Legalsteel is right. The more I learn about it, the more infuriating and saddening the whole matter is. [/quote]

Soviets were just as bad as the Nazi’s and could be argued they were much worse considering their atrocities continued long after anyone was killed by a nazi.
[/quote]

I’d love to discuss at length, because I am a WW II history buff, but obviously not historians or expert. I have delved into both PC and non-PC books and videos, and let’s just say I don’t know know who is telling the truth in several cases. But I do know that people leave out many important events that certainly happened, either out of ignorance or for PC reasons.

Edit: I just listed a few things, but then deleted them. Maybe one day I will live on a non-PC edge.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Edit: I just listed a few things, but then deleted them. Maybe one day I will live on a non-PC edge. [/quote]

Could always preface it with some disclaimer that’s it’s hearsay and not your own opinion for the sake of discussion.

PC police are awful and it’s only going to get worse.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Edit: I just listed a few things, but then deleted them. Maybe one day I will live on a non-PC edge. [/quote]

Could always preface it with some disclaimer that’s it’s hearsay and not your own opinion for the sake of discussion.

PC police are awful and it’s only going to get worse. [/quote]

I will consider this and might post more here.