The Saxon Trio's

This drink was mentioned in a thread in the BSL forum. I decided to try making it, not really having any idea what to expect.

It took me awhile to find some Holland Gin, also known as jenever/genever, but I found some. Bols Genever, based on a recipe dating back to 1664, and revised in 1820. Cost me about $35. This is pretty much the “original” gin, before it took on its more modern forms of London Dry, Plymouth and Old Tom. It’s a very different gin, with a lot of body. It still has the juniper and other botanicals, but the core flavor is richer, deeper, more like a rice wine or sake.

For the beer, I really wasn’t sure what to use. “Dark Lager” is pretty vague. It could be everything from the flavor profile of Spaten Optimator, to Aventinus Eisbock, to Shiner Bock, to a Schwarzbier.

So, I went with the second option… Dublin Stout. Guinness.

Proportion-wise, I found no more information about that drink other than the above description. I kept coming back to the same quote without finding any other sources.

I looked at other beer/liquor cocktails, both modern and more historic. For the most part, they seem to stick with 1oz liquor for every 8oz beer. 2oz for 16, etc.

The recipe I used:

12 oz Guinness
1.5 oz Bols Genever
1 egg yolk
sugar (to taste)

I was expecting this to taste bad, or somehow “weird”, but it’s surprisingly smooth and well balanced. It’s pretty rich, even though it doesn’t have a lot of flavor. Everything just blends together really well.

While the original recipe calls for “plenty of sugar”, I first tried it without any. Then I added 1 tsp of white sugar and mixed it in. I actually prefer it without sugar; I think the sugar makes it overly sweet, since the drink itself is already fairly malty.

I recommend giving it a try. Just, drink it slowly, since it’s plenty strong. I’ll definitely be making this again.

This is the first truly new beverage recipe I have seen in literally YEARS. It makes my former bartenders heart glad to see somethin I’ve actually not heard of before! I will DEFINITELY trying this asap. although I dont see this being that strong, but I cant wait.

what method of mixing did you use?

I just used a spoon. I added the egg yolk first, already broken, then the genever and mixed it together. Topped with the Guinness and gave it a few swirls to incorporate it, but tried not lose the carbonation (er, nitrogenation) in the Guinness.

Strong is obviously relative… it’s stronger than most beer, which was more what I was trying to get across. You really can’t taste the alcohol so it can be a bit deceiving. Personally, I’m used to drinking cocktails (Aviations are my current favorite) so it’s relative. Relative to beer, it’s on the “strong” side.

Alcohol percentage wise, if I did the math right, really only puts this at 8.4%, so on par with a stronger beer. I just used standard Guinness. If it were Extra Stout, obviously stronger… and with an Eisbock, well, quite a bit higher.

Other than this drink, I’m looking forward to playing around with the genever.

Is that a crib with a baby in it next to the photographer?

Edit: Never mind, now that I read the text I know it’s Rez in the reflection and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a kid.

nah, just giving you crap. I drink whiskey neat so…any beer is “light” drinking lol. I love stouts and bocks though. unfortunately I have never had an Eisbock, but is sounds right up my alley!

You beat me to it! :slight_smile:

I asked in my local Irish bar but they didn’t have any genever.

Could you drink more than one?