The Rumsfeld Mutiny

[quote]vroom wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Guys like this make me sick. Speak up if you believe there is a problem.

Do not wait until you retire and start bad mouthing others to sell books and kick start a second career as a media darling or a politician.

If they believed it was wrong they should have done something right away.

I’m not sure this is fair. On one side they aren’t allowed to speak up, and on the other they must be gold-digging for a second career if they do.

How does that work?[/quote]

If they think it is important damn the career and speak up. Of course they don’t because they are politicians first and their careers are the most important thing to them.

If they really think something is wrong refuse the order and turn in the stars. That would get some attention.

Zap, I still don’t think that is entirely realistic. Do military men really have to option of resigning at will?

Neither do I believe they are politicians, as they certainly have never faced a voting public.

Anyway, though most peoples minds are already made up, here is a article talking about this issue…

Analysis: Criticism Mounts Vs. Rumsfeld
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060413/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_generals_3
[i]
Two more retired generals called for Rumsfeld’s resignation on Thursday, bringing the number this month to six.

Retired Army Major Gen. John Riggs told National Public Radio that Rumsfeld fostered an “atmosphere of arrogance.” Retired Gen. Charles Swannack told CNN that Rumsfeld micromanaged the war. “We need a new secretary of defense,” he said.

Military experts say the parade of recently retired military brass calling for Rumsfeld’s resignation is troubling and threatens to undermine strong support Bush has enjoyed among the officer corps and troops.

With public anti-war sentiment increasing, “the president and his team cannot afford to lose that support,” said Kurt Campbell, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense.

Yet for Bush to try to distance himself from Rumsfeld “would call into question everything about the last three years’ strategy in ways the White House worries would send a very negative message,” said Campbell, now with the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Joining the criticism earlier this week was retired Army Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who served as an infantry division commander in Iraq until last November. He called for a “fresh start at the Pentagon,” accusing Rumsfeld of ignoring sound military decision-making and seeking to intimidate those in uniform.

Earlier calls for Rumsfeld’s replacement came from retired Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni, retired Marine Lt. Gen. Gregory Newbold and retired Army Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton.

The most nettlesome member of Bush’s Cabinet, Rumsfeld has been a lightning rod since the war began in March 2003.

He was blamed for committing too few U.S. troops and for underestimating the strength of the insurgency. He took heat in 2004 over the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at the U.S. Army-run Abu Ghraib prison, and for a brusque response he gave to an Army National Guard soldier in Kuwait who questioned him on inadequate armor.

Republicans in Congress have offered Rumsfeld little in the way of public support.

As to the latest general to call for Rumsfeld’s resignation, “I don’t know how many generals there are. There are a couple thousand at least, and they’re going to have opinions,” Ruff said. “It’s not surprising, we’re in a war.”

But it is surprising, especially because it’s a time of war, said P.J. Crowley, a retired Air Force colonel who served as a Pentagon spokesman in both Republican and Democratic administrations and was a national security aide to former President Clinton.

“This is a very significant vote of no confidence and I think the president has to take this into account. The military is saying it does not trust its civilian leadership,” said Crowley, now a senior fellow at the liberal Center for American Progress.
[/i]

Yes a general can resign his commission and command at anytime.

If you will not put your career at risk how can you expect others under your command to put their lives at risk?

It may be a hard choice to make but it is clear cut.

[quote]hedo wrote:

If you will not put your career at risk how can you expect others under your command to put their lives at risk?

[/quote]

Bull f’n Shit

This is political…period.
To think otherwise is naive.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:

Bull f’n Shit

[/quote]
Really? Is the concept of honor naive?

An interview by David Axe posted on Defensetech.org. Somewhat different story these days.

Generals Gone Wild!

Today on CNN, retired Army Maj. Gen. Charles Swannack called for Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld’s resignation. “I think we need senior military leaders who understand the principles of war and apply them ruthlessly, and when the time comes, they need to call it like it is,” the former commander of the 82nd Airborne Division said.

Swannack joins former Central Command boss Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni, Army Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, Marine Lt. Gen. Gregory Newbold and Army Maj. Gen. John Batiste – all retired – in demanding that Rumsfeld step down.

Batiste, like Swannack, joined the fray relatively late, in an interview with CNN’s Miles O’Brien on Wednesday. The interview opened with Batiste slamming Iraq’s potential for democracy: “Iraqis, frankly, in my experience, do not understand democracy. Nor do they understand their responsibilities for a free society.”

The interview continued:

O’BRIEN: So, you’re suggesting a wholesale house cleaning [of Defense Dept. leadership]?

BATISTE: I didn’t say wholesale. I said new leadership in the Pentagon, a fresh start. You know, it speaks volumes that guys like me are speaking out from retirement about the leadership climate in the Department of Defense.

O’BRIEN: What is going on that is – what is it about that climate that is leading to difficulties, leading to trouble, leading to – as you put it – perhaps unnecessary bloodshed?

BATISTE: I didn’t say unnecessary bloodshed. But when decisions are made without taking into account sound military recommendations, sound military decision making, sound planning, then we’re bound to make mistakes. When we violate the principles of war with mass and unity of command and unity of effort, we do that at our own peril.

Ahem.

I met Batiste a year ago when he was commander of the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq. We spoke for an hour about the insurgency, the Iraqi Army and the upcoming January election for an interim national assembly.

The difference between Batiste’s attitude then and his attitude now is suprising. Last year, he said the insurgency was “not an impressive effort”, insisted that Al Qaeda was behind the worst attacks in Iraq and predicted that everday Iraqis would soon turn against insurgents. And the kicker – he described the chunk of the World Trade Center that he kept in his office to remind himself why we had to invade Iraq.

From the safety of retirement, and with his buddies watching his back, Batiste has lashed out at Rumsfeld. But Batiste is guilty of lapses in judgement just as gross as Rumsfeld’s. The only difference is that Rumsfeld ranks higher, so his lapses have greater consequences. I’m not defending Rummy. But if Batiste were Secretary of Defense instead, I doubt we’d be much better off.

Below are excerpts of my interview with Batiste:

Q: What is the insurgent strategy?

BATISTE: I haven’t seen an insurgent strategy. I’ve seen disparate efforts. A piece of me says that we give them too much credit.

Q: What is the gravest threat [in the 1st Infantry Division area of operations]?

BATISTE: Al Qaeda.

Q: How are Iraqi security forces shaping up?

BATISTE: The enemy … he’s a coward, is what he is. It’s not an impressive effort, and these great Iraqi security forces are figuring that out.

Q: What does a successful election mean for Iraq?

BATISTE: A good election is a huge victory. Our challenge is to give Iraqis an alternative to an insurgency. You know, I carry a piece of the World Trade Center … to remind me why we’re here.

Q: Why are we here?

BATISTE: To end radical Islamic fundamentalism.

Q: But wasn’t Saddam Hussein’s regime hostile to radical Islamists?

BATISTE: We could argue about that all night.

[end of interview]

–David Axe

[quote]hedo wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:

Bull f’n Shit

[/quote]

Honor as a concept? WTF!!

We’re not talking concept.

If you think stars on a uniform equal
honor in all instances you are naive.

militarycity.com/valor/honor.html

[quote]hedo wrote:
An interview by David Axe posted on Defensetech.org. Somewhat different story these days.

Generals Gone Wild!

[/quote]

You can tear Batiste down, he’s but one voice in the chorus. And last I checked, people were allowed to change their mind with the passage of time, even if this administration regards that as weakness.

Do you honestly think Rumsfeld has done a good, or even barely competent job in his six years as Secretary of Defense?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
hedo wrote:

Generals Gone Wild!

You can tear Batiste down, he’s but one voice in the chorus. And last I checked, people were allowed to change their mind with the passage of time, even if this administration regards that as weakness.

Do you honestly think Rumsfeld has done a good, or even barely competent job in his six years as Secretary of Defense?[/quote]

What do you think? Barely competent exposes your position.

Rumsfeld has done well under a hostile political climate and difficult military situations.

You have expressed outright hostility towards him in the past. I’m more pragmatic about his performance. He has done better then most in the situation presented. It’s the internet age. Everything is supposed to be perfect and done within one news cycle. Doesn’t happen in the real world.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:

Bull f’n Shit

[/quote]
Yeah honor WTF. You either get it or you don’t. You don’t. Save your breath.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:

Bull f’n Shit

[/quote]

Piss ant…the guys in the link above were worthy of respect and honor.

Waiting to retire to make your “honor”
apparent is bull shit.

I don’t think it is correct to point to these people and say they’ve had a change of heart.

I think it is very expected that while in uniform they will toe the line as closely as Pace does today.

You don’t honestly think a member of the forces will criticise the command structure while they are still in the military and on the field – to a reporter?

Since when?

Now that they are retired they are free to speak their minds. They are speaking their minds. While they are serving, they do their duty and issue whatever responses are expected of them.

You’d expect otherwise?

I don’t believe active military personnel air dirty laundry, thank you very much.

On another note, while I may possibly misinterpret it, I know for a fact that honor is a huge part of military life. Of that there should be no question.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:
hedo wrote:

Bull f’n Shit

Piss ant…the guys in the link above were worthy of respect and honor.

Waiting to retire to make your “honor”
apparent is bull shit.

[/quote]

Douche bag, what the fuck are you talking about? Do you know? Step away from the bong and try again, this time with manners.

Of course fallen soldiers are worthy of respect and should be honored, which is what you were trying to articulate. Why, based on what I wrote, would you think otherwise? Are you trying to simply create some wierd tangental argument?

My point, clearly stated, was that a general should act honorably, even at the risk of his career. Nothing more.

If you don’t have anything to add besides insults and mind numbing drivel please refrain from responding. It gets old.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I don’t think it is correct to point to these people and say they’ve had a change of heart.

I think it is very expected that while in uniform they will toe the line as closely as Pace does today.

You don’t honestly think a member of the forces will criticise the command structure while they are still in the military and on the field – to a reporter?

Since when?

Now that they are retired they are free to speak their minds. They are speaking their minds. While they are serving, they do their duty and issue whatever responses are expected of them.

You’d expect otherwise?

I don’t believe active military personnel air dirty laundry, thank you very much.[/quote]

I think it is completely ridiculous to expect everyone who disagrees with this administration to “resign” from the military to voice that opinion. What if they still want to serve their country? What difference does it make that they retired and then made their position very clear to the public? Aren’t republicans claiming that anyone speaking against the war is bringing down troop morale? If you truly believe that, then you would logically conclude that they would NOT speak against the administration while still in command of troops. You can’t have it both ways. Some of you sound like little kids any time someone notices the massive spin in government. You immediately try to discredit whoever speaks out, and then you wonder why they would wait until retirement? Because they should have made their lives a living hell and had their honor and integrity held in question while still in command? That makes NO sense.

Not everyone. Just the Generals.

Not the administration, just the war plan they are responsible to carry out.

I fell asleep listening to CNN on television last night. They were interviewing a general or two.

They were describing a situation where the civilian administration has no respect for the military brass. As they described it, respect is a two way street.

Apparently, some general who died not too long ago, had kept silent about his issues. A book was released which mentioned his regrets – one of which was never speaking up about his concerns. I don’t recall the timing of the book and the death, his name, or any of that I’m afraid.

It was suggested this book has had an impact on the brass with respect to feeling the need to voice their concerns after retirement.

Anyway I, for one, have a hard time dismissing guys such as these as political hacks. One general on CNN last night said that he has been a republican his entire life and voted for Bush twice.

Hey, this appears to be talking about the CNN interview last night (among other things)…

Generals want Rumsfeld to resign
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060414/pl_nm/iraq_usa_dc_11
[i]
Retired Marine Corps Gen. Anthony Zinni told CNN Rumsfeld should be held responsible for a series of blunders, starting with “throwing away 10 years worth of planning, plans that had taken into account what we would face in an occupation of Iraq.”

The spreading challenge to the Pentagon’s civilian leadership included criticism from some recently retired senior officers directly involved in the Iraq war and its planning.

Six retired generals have now called for Rumsfeld to step down, including two who spoke out on Thursday.

“I really believe that we need a new secretary of defense because Secretary Rumsfeld carries way too much baggage with him,” said retired Maj. Gen. Charles Swannack, who led the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division in Iraq.

“Specifically, I feel he has micromanaged the generals who are leading our forces,” he told CNN.

Retired Major Gen. John Riggs told National Public Radio that Rumsfeld had helped create an atmosphere of “arrogance” among the Pentagon’s top civilian leadership.

“They only need the military advice when it satisfies their agenda. I think that’s a mistake, and that’s why I think he should resign,” Riggs said.
[/i]

Just a quip from this one, the emphasis added is mine of course. I’ve been outspoken about the leadership style of this administration many times…

Ex-General Denies Effort to Oust Rumsfeld
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060414/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_generals_9
[i]
Batiste, who commanded the 1st Infantry Division forces in Iraq, said he declined an opportunity to get a promotion to the rank of lieutenant general and return to the wartorn country as the No. 2 U.S. military officer because he could not accept Rumsfeld’s tough management style.

He said he does not believe Rumsfeld has been sufficiently accountable for the plan that led to the invasion of Iraq and the ouster of Saddam Hussein, although he also said that “we have no option but to succeed in Iraq.”

“I support civilian control (of the military) completely,” Batiste told interviewers on CBS’s “The Early Show.”

But, he added, “we went to war with a flawed plan that didn’t account for the hard work to build the peace after we took down the regime. We also served under a secretary of defense who didn’t understand leadership, who was abusive, who was arrogant, and who didn’t build a strong team.
[/i]