T Nation

The Rule: 6 Meals/Day

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

I already posted a recent pic in this thread pages back and every avatar with me in it over the past few years has been within 2 months. [/quote]

The issue with this is that based on those pictures you post, the only progress you’ve made from 2008 to now is that you changed the tank top that you use to cover up the majority of your physique and show off your arms and traps.[/quote]

[photo]5968[/photo]

[photo]38806[/photo]

uh, what?[/quote]
Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin’ huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve got a story for y’all: was at the gym today squatting, and the guy in the rack next to me was reverse band benching. We got to talking, and this website came up. Sure enough, not only has he heard of T-Nation, he’s actually posted several times in this very thread. Not sure if he wants his name used, but he can chime in if he’s so inclined. Nice dude, strong and built like a brick shit house.

Anyway, he had 315 on the bar and I adked if I could give it a ride. Did a high volume upper session yesterday, but wanted to give it a shot. Plopped down, unracked it and nailed 3 with AT LEAST another 3 in the tank. Not necessarily impressive, but under ideal conditions I’m positive I could nail a strong 8 reps. So, with my “average progress”, the day after a ton of pressing, with no warmup and immediately following a set of squats, I still benched about as much as we’ve seen the guy who’s spent the last 15 years getting unecessarily big, and the last 2 pages talking shit about my progress when he hasn’t seen a single thing I’ve done, even though I weigh a good 75lbs less and I have abs without flexing.

How’s that for progress?[/quote]

That’s some good benching, not trying to take away from it but how much assistance were the bands at the top?

Looks like the prof just got his first internet gay admirer. He’s making waves.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve got a story for y’all: was at the gym today squatting, and the guy in the rack next to me was reverse band benching. We got to talking, and this website came up. Sure enough, not only has he heard of T-Nation, he’s actually posted several times in this very thread. Not sure if he wants his name used, but he can chime in if he’s so inclined. Nice dude, strong and built like a brick shit house.

Anyway, he had 315 on the bar and I adked if I could give it a ride. Did a high volume upper session yesterday, but wanted to give it a shot. Plopped down, unracked it and nailed 3 with AT LEAST another 3 in the tank. Not necessarily impressive, but under ideal conditions I’m positive I could nail a strong 8 reps. So, with my “average progress”, the day after a ton of pressing, with no warmup and immediately following a set of squats, I still benched about as much as we’ve seen the guy who’s spent the last 15 years getting unecessarily big, and the last 2 pages talking shit about my progress when he hasn’t seen a single thing I’ve done, even though I weigh a good 75lbs less and I have abs without flexing.

:expressionless:

I dunno… With all due respect man if you challenged X to a bench press contest you’d be destroyed utterly. I mean I would too, but still. I tend to stay out of these Prof. based threads, but I do hate to see them drift too far outside the realm of reality.

[quote]8020beef wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

That’s some good benching, not trying to take away from it but how much assistance were the bands at the top?
[/quote]

Honestly not sure. If the other poster checks in he can correct me, but think he said 20-ish at the top and 60-ish at the bottom. I’ll say this: it felt like three plates at lockout and about like 245 at the chest. Had never worked with reverse bands before. Felt kind of like pressing through a machine oddly enough. Not sure I’d make it a staple of my routine, but if my joints were beat up and still wanted to get some “real” weights in my hands I’d be all over it.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
I would like to hear answers to those questions you posed Brick. In all my time at T-Nation, I have only been able to get tibits of how X trains and eats and he never goes into detail(or minimal detail), even when I(and others) have asked directly. He has helped me early in my lifting career though. [/quote]

You serious?

I doubt anyone on this board has gone into more detail over the years.

That thread alone covers about 7 years.

Please with this. Some of you have no idea how much time was spent for YEARS helping every single newb with a dumb question. In return, I get trolls following me around switching around past statements so they can follow me with more crap.

If you want to know something from me, you ask me.

Stop listening to these same trolls…and you may actually learn something.

LOL at “tidbits” now meaning 10 years of informative posts.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I dunno… With all due respect man if you challenged X to a bench press contest you’d be destroyed utterly. I mean I would too, but still. I tend to stay out of these Prof. based threads, but I do hate to see them drift too far outside the realm of reality.[/quote]

The fact that he even wrote that without a ton of people giving him crap for it shows how off the perception is here.

As far as Stuey:

Somehow, TC can understand the discussion…someone who helped create the site…but since Stu can’t find the point of MY thread, it means the thread is useless.

Stu claimed at the start of the thread he would stay out of my thread.

Why does he keep coming back just to throw insults?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

:expressionless:

I dunno… With all due respect man if you challenged X to a bench press contest you’d be destroyed utterly. I mean I would too, but still. I tend to stay out of these Prof. based threads, but I do hate to see them drift too far outside the realm of reality.[/quote]

Just wrote a long, detailed response to this but decided to erase it. You clearly missed my point. Y’all have a good’n.

LOL at “I can’t see any progress!”.
[photo]34868[/photo]

I want to see one other person here who has made that much progress who thinks everything or even the majority of what I write is wrong.

If you are in this forum to fuss about my ego…save the rest of us the bullshit.

I know how to get big muscles and spent years handing out advice for free that I sometimes even charge patients for. Let guys like Whiteflash handle the people who would rather complain about everything but the topic of the thread. If you want to discuss how to get swole, come see me or let’s discuss it.

Don’t let other people tell you what I supposedly said somewhere.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
the last 2 pages talking shit about my progress when he hasn’t seen a single thing I’ve done, even though I weigh a good 75lbs less and I have abs without flexing.[/quote]
I guess this was the real point. FWIW I was quite impressed when I read your “how do you train” thread.

[quote]Majin wrote:

Don’t like it? Stop trying to “educate” people who’s goals are drastically different from yours. Push an agenda, and you open the gates to being criticized. That’s just how it works.[/quote]

Where am I trying to educate people with different goals?

I said at the start who this thread was directed at…so that means what you wrote is untrue.

You seem to be the one trying to degrade my own goals. You are the one telling me how I am not lean enough for your standards and how I need to change to be validated by you.

YOU are the only one trying to change someone else’s goals.

My thread was directed at the people who want far more than average in terms of size goals long term.

If that isn’t you, then the thread isn’t directed towards you.

Also, I am not in my 40’s…so the constant “middle aged” comments can stop now. Mid 30’s has never meant “middle age”. I was deep in my career by 25.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
the last 2 pages talking shit about my progress when he hasn’t seen a single thing I’ve done, even though I weigh a good 75lbs less and I have abs without flexing.[/quote]
I guess this was the real point. FWIW I was quite impressed when I read your “how do you train” thread.[/quote]

Thanks bud. Wasn’t trying to be a dick. Check in on your log from time to time. Your injuries getting figured out?

[Yawwwwwwn]. I thought you guys liked to talk about lifting and eating and shit. This is beyond ridiculous.

Idk if anyone has noticed, but since this thread’s inception, T-Nation has been dropping article after article addressing our points of “debate”:

Meal Frequency not a big deal at all:

Protein absorption not affected by nutrient timing:

You can?t force-feed muscles, and in fact, overeating will hurt growth:

But, uh, cool on making this the most trafficked thread in the subforum. Maybe we can hit 2000 posts if we keep it up.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
However it quickly DID turn into that insulin debate, and TC did post, so it turned out pretty well anyhow. The personal grudge matches didn’t add much though, did they…
[/quote]

Thank you.

They never do…and you won’t see me troll anyone else the way they do me. They ran right over TC’s responses to complain more about “egos”…you know…because I need to be put in my place lest I think I actually accomplished anything.

Moving forward, no kids, unlike some posters wrote at the beginning frequent feedings do NOT put you at more risk of diabetes alone because training is that much of a factor. That is why pointing out a study…and being able to deeply understand the factors involved are two completely different things.

I hope this thread was informative and entertaining.

Oh, beware that Diabetes Fairy.

Shout out to Mad Titan. Keep up the good work, man.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
[Yawwwwwwn]. I thought you guys liked to talk about lifting and eating and shit. This is beyond ridiculous.

Idk if anyone has noticed, but since this thread’s inception, T-Nation has been dropping article after article addressing our points of “debate”:

Meal Frequency not a big deal at all:

Protein absorption not affected by nutrient timing:

You can?t force-feed muscles, and in fact, overeating will hurt growth:

But, uh, cool on making this the most trafficked thread in the subforum. Maybe we can hit 2000 posts if we keep it up.[/quote]

From your first link:

[quote]A recent study by Arciero et al. (23) seems to further support a greater daily meal frequency. Briefly, the study employed an intricate design where two of the groups consumed a high-protein diet amounting to 35% of total calories of either three or six meals-a-day for approximately two months. Both groups showed approximately the same amount of fat loss (2.5 kilograms for the three meals versus 2.7 kilograms for the six meals). No biggie here.

However, the group who consumed frequent meals actually gained lean body mass (0.6 kilograms), versus a loss of LBM in the group that ate three daily meals (-0.9 kilograms). That equates to about 3 pounds of LBM â?? certainly nothing to sneeze at.[/quote]

We discussed that here as well.

Take home point…don’t let other people think for you…especially when they admit that more frequent eating has been shown in studies to induce more lean muscle growth…only to claim it has no effect later.

That is what I was trying to get across here.

Also from that first link:

[quote]The study most often cited by frequent meal proponents involved competitive boxers who were placed on a 1200-calorie diet for two weeks (22). One group consumed the calories as two daily meals while the other group spaced out eating over six times a day.

At study’s end, the frequent feeding group retained a greater amount of lean body mass compared to the two-meal-a-day group with similar total weight loss between groups. While these findings are intriguing, it must be noted that the study period was very short. Whether such results would continue over the long-term is speculative.[/quote]

Gee, add in the most likely habitual action over years to produce the biggest muscles…and someone needs to explain to me how anyone believes “meal frequency” is a non-issue at all in terms of long term extreme muscle growth.

…and just to make it clear…every single pound of muscle counts when it comes to reaching OPTIMAL growth over years.

These short term studies are showing increases in and retention of lean body mass with more frequent feedings…yet somehow this means nothing?

Look, if your goal is to be average, then ignore all of this. It doesn’t matter how you eat if your goal is to just look “fit”.

If your goal is to hear, “Damn!” when you leave the house, you may want to get all of the muscle you can get out of your body… every single OUNCE of muscle…and we are discussing how to do that.

After having done this for so many years, what foods, and what frequency, have you found works best for you?

Are we talking ground beef, or certain cuts of beef (I saw the steak thread), or chicken breasts, or what? Pastas? Cheeses? Sauces? Dairy? Eggs?

From your first link:

[quote]A recent study by Arciero et al. (23) seems to further support a greater daily meal frequency. Briefly, the study employed an intricate design where two of the groups consumed a high-protein diet amounting to 35% of total calories of either three or six meals-a-day for approximately two months. Both groups showed approximately the same amount of fat loss (2.5 kilograms for the three meals versus 2.7 kilograms for the six meals). No biggie here.

However, the group who consumed frequent meals actually gained lean body mass (0.6 kilograms), versus a loss of LBM in the group that ate three daily meals (-0.9 kilograms). That equates to about 3 pounds of LBM â?? certainly nothing to sneeze at.[/quote]

We discussed that here as well.

Take home point…don’t let other people think for you…especially when they admit that more frequent eating has been shown in studies to induce more lean muscle growth…only to claim it has no effect later.

That is what I was trying to get across here.[/quote]
Read a little lower?
?subjects were overweight women who didn’t participate in any regimented exercise.?

Also from that first link:

[quote]The study most often cited by frequent meal proponents involved competitive boxers who were placed on a 1200-calorie diet for two weeks (22). One group consumed the calories as two daily meals while the other group spaced out eating over six times a day.

At study’s end, the frequent feeding group retained a greater amount of lean body mass compared to the two-meal-a-day group with similar total weight loss between groups. While these findings are intriguing, it must be noted that the study period was very short. Whether such results would continue over the long-term is speculative.[/quote]

Gee, add in the most likely habitual action over years to produce the biggest muscles…and someone needs to explain to me how anyone believes “meal frequency” is a non-issue at all in terms of long term extreme muscle growth.[/quote]

Again, you are not interpreting the conclusion properly. This was a study on people undergoing what I would consider extreme dieting (1200kcal/day) - not people who were trying to reach “long term extreme muscle growth.” You could make conclusions here about what is the best way to retain lean mass while dieting, but not about what will result in the greatest muscle growth, generally.

But, at least we are talking about eating again.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
Read a little lower?
?subjects were overweight women who didn’t participate in any regimented exercise.?[/quote]

I read that just fine. The addition of training to that scenario increases the liklihood of adding to the muscle mass gained, not decreasing it.

[quote]Again, you are not interpreting the conclusion properly. This was a study on people undergoing what I would consider extreme dieting (1200kcal/day) - not people who were trying to reach “long term extreme muscle growth.” You could make conclusions here about what is the best way to retain lean mass while dieting, but not about what will result in the greatest muscle growth, generally.

But, at least we are talking about eating again. [/quote]

Excuse me, what you see is MUSCLE RETENTION from frequent feedings…which is really important to long term growth over years as you gain and diet to reach an end goal.

We discussed all of this already though…which you may want to read so it isn’t repeated.