T Nation

The Right Stack

is there anything else i should add to my stack? I already take glutamine, creatine, muscle milk, milkthistle, fish oils, and bcaa. You guys have any good advice on what else to add?

Update
Wieght increased to 195 from 185
Bench- 225 2 sets 3 reps last workout no max yet
squat-? today is my leg day.

How tall are you, and how old?

What’s the purpose of taking the milk thistle?

Muscle Milk isn’t my favorite MRP. Dave Barr has explained why (albeit, controversially):
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1231523

Glutamine is take-it or leave-it with some people. I feel a huge difference in my immune system when I take it, but nothing specifically training-related.

Some kind of multi-vitamin would be nice. Other than that, it’s a fine start…depending on your goals.

Milk thistle is supposed to help with liver function, I believe. I’ve heard it being recommended to recovering alcoholics.

You definitely need to add a good multi vitamin. Supplementing protein with Muscle Milk is going to get expensive but if you can afford it, more power to you. That looks like a pretty solid stack to me

[quote]MBison wrote:
Milk thistle is supposed to help with liver function, I believe. I’ve heard it being recommended to recovering alcoholics.[/quote]

I know what milk thistle does. I meant, why did he decide to include it? It’s not what I would consider an essential supplement.

im 6’ 195lbs. 17 years old. Some one told me if would be good just to keep my liver clean so i figured it would be good to add. I also take a multi. vitamin but didn’t add that. I work at a nutritional store so i get muscle milk for cheap, wasent sure if it was the best protein supplement to take.

What’s the bulk of your diet look like? “Stacks” are only effective as long as you have a solid meal plan.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
What’s the bulk of your diet look like? “Stacks” are only effective as long as you have a solid meal plan.[/quote]

Yes. Throwing supplements at a bad diet and expecting them to nullify it is the wrong approach(not saying the OP has a bad diet). At 17, it’s easy to go overboard on supplements that won’t really help much. It looks like you have the basics down. I would save my money and invest in quality food.

i eat like a horse atleast 4-6 times a day. I get a good about of fruits and i take in my bodyweight or so in protein and alittle less in carbs. I eat alot of chicken and meats, the only area im probley lacking in is vegtables.

[quote]ruehl wrote:
i eat like a horse atleast 4-6 times a day. I get a good about of fruits and i take in my bodyweight or so in protein and alittle less in carbs. I eat alot of chicken and meats, the only area im probley lacking in is vegtables.[/quote]

You eat 195 lbs of protein? Holy shit.

[quote]Hook 'em wrote:
ruehl wrote:
i eat like a horse atleast 4-6 times a day. I get a good about of fruits and i take in my bodyweight or so in protein and alittle less in carbs. I eat alot of chicken and meats, the only area im probley lacking in is vegtables.

You eat 195 lbs of protein? Holy shit.[/quote]

That’s Muscle Milk for ya…

[quote]ruehl wrote:
i eat like a horse atleast 4-6 times a day. I get a good about of fruits and i take in my bodyweight or so in protein and alittle less in carbs.[/quote]

I’m going to channel the spirit of Dan John for a moment…

Ruehl, what, specifically, did you eat yesterday? And what, specifically, have you eaten today?

On a related note, what did you do during your last workout?