T Nation

The Right Fighting Weight?

[quote]Brisks wrote:
Currently I’m 80kg and 5ft 10" I’m not really bothered at which weight I fight at but I’d like to be lean and look good at that weight as well as it feeling natural. If I want to fall into this fighting? For example should I just eat lots of protein and starchy carbs when I’m hungry and will this get me to a natural fighting weight that I’m also lean at?

Thanks for any replies.[/quote]

people will automatically assume that fighting at the lowest weight possible would be best, but i completely disagree. ill give up a few pounds and eat healthy and keep my body well nourished and on point. you can absolutely accomplish that while cutting weight, but you’d need some good coaching.

get your proteins complex carbs and healhty fats and look into more micro nutrients.

chromium, zinc, B vitamins, calcium etc

and never suppress your hunger.

You don’t actually want to fight @ the lowest WEIGHT possible; you PROBABLY want to fight in the lowest WEIGHT CLASS.

“Cutting” weight is fairly useless if you don’t get the weight back (I hate guys who start training @ a fat 225, get down to 195 say over the months of training, cut to 185, and BRAG about their 40 pound cut; in some sense, your cut is what you weigh when you compete - what you weigh in at ). But generally speaking, you will have the greatest relative strength advantage at the lowest weight class possible.

Not only that, you’ll be fighting less, and he’ll be fighting more. A 190 pound guy who fights @ 185 has to use his 190 to move @ 205 guy and vice-versa. The same 190, fighting @ 170 uses his 190 on 175, and the poor 175 guy has to takedown and strike a 190 guy.

However this isn’t the only factor: reach is important, technique (certain skills work better at certain weight classes), speed (I think hendo is better @ 205, couture @ hwt, etc. for this reason), and style (for example, in wrestling, bigger guys tend to lock up in clinches, where little guys like to shoot more. a big guy with very explosive leg attacks may find moving down that little guys have the skills to defend his leg attacks, etc.). Mostly, you need to compete where you’re going to feel good.

[quote]RebelSell wrote:
You don’t actually want to fight @ the lowest WEIGHT possible; you PROBABLY want to fight in the lowest WEIGHT CLASS.[/quote]

Gee, thanks for sharing. No one who would ACTUALLY compete would have gotten the distinction.

Thanks for sharing. Every elite professional fighter would disagree with YOU. But, hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion!

I honestly think that anyone who finds this confusing has never competed in a major tourney; he probably doesn’t even train.

If these guys trained at a reputable MMA gym, they’d know simply from talking to fighters that everyone cuts weight. So if you want to be competitive, you must do that, too.

Cutting weight is so common that it doesn’t even give you an edge - since almost everyone is cutting weight, too. It simply keeps you competitive.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote: people will automatically assume that fighting at the lowest weight possible would be best, but i completely disagree.

Thanks for sharing. Every elite professional fighter would disagree with YOU. But, hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion![/quote]

thats why urijah faber, top 3 bantamweight in the world fights at 145lbs when he can easily make 135lbs.
Check out INSIDE MMA with kenny rice and bas rutten where they had a interview with him and his protege

randy couture fights at heavyweight when he can easily make 205lbs. former ufc lhw champ

thats why roy jones, mayweather, de la hoya, hopkins, trinidad, and countless other boxers move up in weight class

anderson silva, considered p4p best fighter in the world recently moved up a weight class.
to fight irvin

fuck, the other p4p guy, ummm bj penn is moving up to face gsp.
coming in feb 09

fedor emelianenko, undefeated, undisputed wreaking machine, fights at hw when he can diet and go from 15% to 8% to make 205lbs.

you just got tooled son.
now just sit there with your dunce cap and learn something.