T Nation

The Right Fighting Weight?

Currently I’m 80kg and 5ft 10" I’m not really bothered at which weight I fight at but I’d like to be lean and look good at that weight as well as it feeling natural. If I want to fall into this fighting? For example should I just eat lots of protein and starchy carbs when I’m hungry and will this get me to a natural fighting weight that I’m also lean at?

Thanks for any replies.

In season, get down to 6-9% bodyfat depending on how naturally lean you are.

This is just a strength to weight ratio issue.

At 176 you could easily fight 170. 155 is possible if you have a decent amount of fat to lose.

Shit, if I could find a way to fight at lightweight, I would. I am even making it a point of losing some muscle along with fat to fight at a lower weight class than I might “naturally” be at.

Unless you’re a “natural” HW or LWH, you should almost always fight at the lowest weight class possible.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Shit, if I could find a way to fight at lightweight, I would. I am even making it a point of losing some muscle along with fat to fight at a lower weight class than I might “naturally” be at.

Unless you’re a “natural” HW or LWH, you should almost always fight at the lowest weight class possible.[/quote]

I think people need to meet some fighters in real life. I saw GSP once at an event, granted not face to face with him, and though I’m 5’-11" 220 at the time, I’ll be goddamned if that “little” 170 pound fighter didn’t look every bit as big as me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1 on GSP’s size when he worked with Danaher at Renzo’s here in NYC I saw him a few times,
I did not know who he is/was at the time, but he is a pretty big dude. BIG

Its really about how fit you are
If your body fat is low and your fitness/conditioning is in check, cutting might be a given.

kmc

How much do you reckon those 170lb fighters are walking around at when they are not cutting for the weigh ins?

Right. And yet he would get killed at light heavyweight, and would not be nearly as dominant at middle weight.

Which just goes to confirm my point: Fight at as low of a weight as possible.

Anthony Johnson walks around at 210 and he fights at 170… he has to TRY and stay 190 so he can be prepared to fight at a moments notice (since they’ve given him 3 fights within a few weeks notice).

Keep in mind these guys are pro’s so their cutting practices are a lot different. Which is why after TUF most guys moved down a few weight classes. It’s easier to cut when fighting is a job and you can afford iv’s and the such.

It LARGELY depends on your build… I would look at Thiago Alves and think he should be 155lbers because of his height and length of limbs, but his bone structure is big and he’s heavily muscled so he’s good at 170 (hell he can barely make that).

I walk around at 175 but have to fight at 155 or 160. Same with Nick Diaz, Joe Lauzon, etc… the Body type is just a lot different.

Point is, get as low as possible or you’ll be fighting monsters 20-30lbs heavier than you. And unless your name is Norifumi Yamamoto, I don’t recommend it.

Get as low as you can safely get. Make sure to get your body tested (not with calipers), and figure out how much you can safely lose without dropping dangerously. (stop at 6% body fat), make sure to include cutting some water weight there as well.

As for what to eat to get you there, search this website. There are a million diets out there, so one of them will suit you.

I think it’s all about comfort. I fight at 170 and haven’t lost. I fought once at 155 and promptly got beat. All I thought about for weeks was diet, cutting, sweating. I should have been thinking about fighting and what I needed to do to win. So if you are comfortable at 170 and feel strong there, fight there.

Ahh the joys of being a SHW. I gained 10 pounds the week of my last fight, haha. Caaarbs!

All of my friends and guys I train with have to cut, and, as said already in this thread; fight where you’re comfortable. And, if you must cut a bunch, for the love of god, don’t wait till the week before.

I had to help a buddy drop from 201 to 185, in an eight hour period. It only took 5 hours, and we got him to 182, but he didn’t like it one bit.

Donut62 wrote: I think people need to meet some fighters in real life. I saw GSP once at an event, granted not face to face with him, and though I’m 5’-11" 220 at the time, I’ll be goddamned if that “little” 170 pound fighter didn’t look every bit as big as me.

Right. And yet he would get killed at light heavyweight, and would not be nearly as dominant at middle weight.

Which just goes to confirm my point: Fight at as low of a weight as possible.[/quote]

I take it you’re assuming that the fighter is getting a 24hr weigh-in, right?

Some guys can’t function very well, let alone fight, if they don’t have that time to get the water back. In that case (same day weigh in) it becomes more of a comfort thing. Reaching for that lower weight class can really fuck up your game.

At the level im at you dont get 24hr weigh ins, Im going to try aim for 170, I just need to loose sme body fat and I’m there, if that dosen’t feel comfortable ill head for 185, thanks for the advice guys.

They weight you should be fighting at should be whatever weight you sit at at 6-8% bodyfat, plus however much water weight you can effective REHYDRATE yourself in the time given to you.

You rehydrate something like 8 oz ever hour (there is research on this, I believe this is right, but you should check for yourself)–so if you are weighing in two hours before competition (like in wrestling) you can afford to dehydrate much less than if you are weighing in the next day.

Other than comfort level, somthing to note if you are going to cut: some people are bleeders once they get down to a certain fat %. When I was cuting weight, I found that once I lost around 25 to 30 lbs of both water and fat, plus a little muscle, I would start bleeding at the drop of a hat out of my nose. So in HS and college, that kept me at certain weight levels for wrestling and boxing.

Unfortunately, I didn’t know this until I cut below that.

I had the same problem Gerg.

There as a actually a kid on the team who had it so bad we put what amounted to a mask of tape and gauze around his face to stop the bleeding. He could barely breathe out of his mouth the tape was so thick.

Dude, unless you are already extremely lean, the 7 pounds should fall off of you. Just look up any of the cutting programs on this site.

I am at the same weight that you are, and am going to cut to 170 for wrestling season. The practices usually shave off enough BF to do it anyway, but a simple hard conditioning program can get you there in a pinch.

Look at what some of the UFC guys cut in one night lol.

Donut62 wrote: I think people need to meet some fighters in real life. I saw GSP once at an event, granted not face to face with him, and though I’m 5’-11" 220 at the time, I’ll be goddamned if that “little” 170 pound fighter didn’t look every bit as big as me.

Which just goes to confirm my point: Fight at as low of a weight as possible.[/quote]

Hey man, I’m still confused as to why we should fight at a weight as low as possible?

Imnot doing any cardio atm, so I think just starting up HIIT again will loose the 7lb of BF.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Hey man, I’m still confused as to why we should fight at a weight as low as possible?[/quote]

What exactly is confusing? You want to fight with the highest strength to weight ratio possible. If two guys of relatively equal skill level competed at 170 pounds, with one guy being at a fairly soft 15% bodyfat and someone else being at a lean 7%, who do you think is going to have more muscle mass and thus be typically stronger?

You fight at the lowest possible weight because you want to maximize your advantages on the mat. Of course, it is useless if you are about to fall of from exhaustion due to dehydration.