The Return of The Son Of Old Lardass

Old poster, new thread. Since Carl and Harry are back posting, maybe the public accountability of posting again will help me get back on my feet.

now, those of tender heart and weak stomach should stop reading

Tale of Woe:

So, I used to spend alot of time here, and I loved posting about lifting and whatever oddball thought danced through my monkey brain. I had always thought of myself as a “recreational powerlifter” in that my lifts were unimpressive, but I only cared about squatting, deadlifting and benching. After 25+ years of lifting without aim, I discovered 5/3/1 and started progressing for the first time ever.

I’m thinking that was probably around 2009. In 2010 or 2011, I discovered Highland Games, and I started throwing with no instruction. Due to a badly injured left knee from my earlier days, and atrocious form, I sort of tore the crap out of my right adductor and hip flexor. I rehabbed it on and off, but was never able to stick with it long enough to get it fully working again. fast forward to last thanksgiving.

I finally decided to remember all the shit my PT taught me about fixing my hip, and started working on it again. Of course, with no hip, I couldn’t squat or deadlift, but I kept myself from going completely crazy by benching and pressing and curling, using an old Dan John program called Simple Strength. Very easy daily workouts, and my bench was approaching my older lifts.

Then, in February, I woke up with a sore neck, the soreness of which went through my shoulder blade and down my arm, ending with pins and needles in my left index finger. Got it treated by idiots during the first month or so with only the relief that you get from pain medication. finally got an MRI, the disc between neckbones c6 and c7 was herniated and pressing against the nerve root. I tried non-surgical stuff consisting of cortisone shots, traction and PT for 6 weeks, but it just kept getting worse and worse. I finally got a fusion of c6-c7, and it has been exactly 4 weeks and 2 days since the surgery.
continued

continuing-
I could not do any lifting at all when the neck thing came up, so it has now been 4 months since I’ve had a weight in my hand. the surgery was succussful with complete ceasing of pain when I woke up. I tapered off the pain meds too fast and enjoyed some opiate withdrawal. I guess 3 days to go from 75mg/day of percocet to 0 isn’t long enough. Couldn’t sleep unaided for about a week, then all was well.

So, in addition to the old hip injury that never healed, my left tricep and part of my left forearm are completely atrophied. Where the triceps used to be is the weirdest looking damn thing.

I am now free to do limited dumbell work provided it doesn’t activate the traps too hard, remembering that the traps sort of insert on the 2 not-completely-fused neckbones, and it needs to knit good and hard before I can go at all heavy.

After some serious self pity, I decided to start lifting with dumbells last night.

I got 2 sets of 20 on dumbell triceps extensions.

with 5 lbs.

I have to keep reminding myself how important it is to take it slow. In the past, I’ve managed to take it slow for as long as 3 weeks before I hurt myself again not taking it easy.

Tomorrow I’ll go to the gym for the first time in 4 months, see how long I can stay on the stationary bike, do some super light leg presses, and stretch my hip. I can’t really do too much with the hip unless I can ride the bike for 20 minutes to lube the hip, so it might be a week or 2 before I can stretch hard. In addition to my left triceps, my right adductor, hip flexor and gluteus are also seriously atrophied. so much so that I can’t walk without pain. basically, my right leg can’t support my body weight of 300 lbs. That’s why I’m going to do leg presses, because I move weight less than my my weight, and hopefully build the glute back up. not sure what I’m going to do about the adductor and hip flexor other than stretch them and try not to hurt them again.

If all the rehab goes well, I may be able to consider trying to throw stuff after new years. I’ll likely just judge highland games for another year before I try to throw in one. I started judging when I hurt my hip, as I was under the impression at the time that I’d never throw again. My various docs say there is no reason I cant throw again, so long as I take it slow.

I’ve had a heck of a time getting going again, being relegated to so few lifts, with such little weight. but, I’ll need to do the little bells every day for a few months before I can start using a barbell again. With Harry and Carl back, and Joe, Kevin, Brett, Snap and George still here from the old times, I’m hoping that the accountability of daily posting will keep me working out daily.

cry harder,
Old Lardass

PS, I got up to about 335, and got down to 310 using nutrisystems. Then I dropped 10 pounds right after surgery, because I was sleeping most of the day away instead of eating. I’ve managed to keep that last 10 lbs off, and actually lost a couple more pounds, down to 297. I’ll do the nutrishite until the box is gone, then go back to a no carb thing that works real well when I can stay on it.

I’ll start snarking and trolling everyone else once I get my shit together.

Wow. It’s like a real reunion around these parts. Good to get caught up on your life experiences.

Yep…feels exactly like a reunion.

Great to see you back! That sounds like a helluva journey. And not a fun one at that.
Glad to see there is a path forward, though.

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
PS, I got up to about 335, and got down to 310 using nutrisystems. Then I dropped 10 pounds right after surgery, because I was sleeping most of the day away instead of eating. I’ve managed to keep that last 10 lbs off, and actually lost a couple more pounds, down to 297. I’ll do the nutrishite until the box is gone, then go back to a no carb thing that works real well when I can stay on it.

I’ll start snarking and trolling everyone else once I get my shit together.[/quote]
Glad you’re back hittin it younger cuz. Glad you’re back here, too. Every ship needs a ballist.

I am definitly right-sized for ballast Harry.

Good to see you too Snap and Li’l Strick.

didn’t make it to the gym today because I slept for 11 hours instead.

2x 10 at 8lbs for each of tri extensions, kerl and side raises.

At this stage its just one day at a time and slowly getting back into a rhythm.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
At this stage its just one day at a time and slowly getting back into a rhythm. [/quote]

Tru dat Devil Dog

Welcome back. I’ve had a three friends with similar injuries. Two have returned nearly 100%. The other guy waited too long for help, and I think that is what set him back. You are correct to go slowly. It’s a marathon, and not a sprint. Be safe, and all the best.

Thanks Crippler

My last checkin was Sunday, here is what I’ve done since then.
Monday 3 x10 at 8lbs for tri extensions. had to drop curls and side raises because they are messing with my neck.

Tuesday, went to the gym, rode the bike on a low setting for 20 minutes. this caused me to sweat for 5 hours, so I assume it was good. didn’t expect to stay on the bike that long, but I did. it took 15 minutes for my hip to lubricate and feel decent.
Did 3x5 at 90lbs on leg press. Between the bike and the leg press, my glutes were destroyed, and still hurt this morning. but it’s that good hurt, and I figure after a couple weeks I’ll feel human again.
Hit 4x10 at 8lbs for tri extensions.

I won’t be able to get to the gym again until friday due to life.

Good work. A little pain is a good thing from time to time.

Good hurt? You been watchin that freaky movie, 50lb of grey metal, or something like that.
Keep going and just don’t stop all the way.

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
With Harry and Carl back, and Joe, Kevin, Brett, Snap and George still here from the old times
Old Lardass[/quote]
Did you forget someone? I won’t take it personally. If you forgot I’m Steve from NH. Fellow whiskey drinker.

welcome back!