The Return of Even More Movies You've Watched This Week III

I watched the first 3 seasons. Season 1 wasn’t bad. It got really good in the 2nd season because it became very character driven. Then season 3 became kind of weird with some sparks of brilliance here and there but sort of fizzles out toward the end. I’ve not watched season 4.

Black Panther - dreadful. Like a cross between The Lion King & Ace Ventura When Nature Calls. Except Ace Ventura 2 was funny and not as patronising \m/

10 minutes in I thought all those stellar reviews were virtue signalling.

1 Like

Ready Player One - great popcorn film - really enjoyed it :)) 8/10 for a popcorn movie

I have to seriously disagree with you here. Ace Ventura 2 wasn’t funny.

1 Like

Did you just call me “White Devil White Devil?”

1 Like

Lol, no really, I remember only laughing once throughout the entire movie and that was during the “monopoly man” scene.

Not even when he ‘emerged’ from the surveillance rhino’s ass ?

1 Like

No, I can’t stand scatological humor and I generally hate slapstick comedies. Personal taste, though. Probably why I hate all those new silly, self-aware gore flicks with zombies nowadays lol.

1 Like

Aside from super troopers, I’m the same. One of the very few slapstick’s I like.

‘You boys want to go to mexico’

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t mind when they get really silly and irreverent like the Naked Gun series. But not when they turn into something like live action cartoons.

2 Likes

With this review I went and checked out Z-nation, definitely campy, definitely fun, ha. Just enough action/gore to keep it moving along, and “Citizen Z” just kills me haha

Glad you’re enjoying it so far. I’m on the last episode of season 1 and it’s been consistently fun to this point.

I’ve watched all of the previous episodes of Z-nation, and will be checking out the most recent this coming weekend.

I like that series too. It doesn’t try to be too super serious, and no panicky baby crying crisis crap like The Walking Dead used to do. As a device, I hate that.

Beerfest?

1 Like

Ready Player One

I saw it with my 15 year old in 70mm. He loved it, I didn’t care for it. I didn’t understand why it was chock full o’ 80 references. Why, in 2045, would everyone love the 1980’s? It would be like if everyone was obsessed with 1960 right now. The feel of the movie was very Spielburg-esque (rag-tag bunch of kids, bad guy who was more like the principal from the Breakfast Club rather than an evil villain, etc) and I thought the heavy use of cultural references was very cynical. Like, they knew they would capture the 12 - 25 year old crowd, but by loading it full of Easter eggs, they could get the target audiences parents to attend also.

Not very satisfying overall. 5.5/10

3 Likes

IIRC, the maker of the virtual world really liked the 80s, and so filled the world with references to the 80s.

Practically speaking, I think the book was meant to be a nostalgia piece of the 80s.

Yes you’re exactly right and from what I understand the book is thick with 80s references. It just felt cynical.

Though not as cynical as Bret Easton Ellis’ American Psycho. Fuck him, his crappy prose, and his unreadable sentences dense with cultural touchstones that served no purpose other than to assure the reader that the author himself traveled on the same social circles as the characters in his books.

I got admit, I did get a little thrill when I saw an extra wearing the same New Order Technique T shirt that I had in 1989.

I saw The Sugarcubes, PIL, and New Order open for the Violent Femmes at Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Good times…

I’ve waited my whole life for just one… thiiiiiinnnnnggggg

Your taste in music is sublime, Pangy

1 Like

Those lyrics are pure genius.

You know I think the world of you, Yogi.