The Return of Even More Movies You've Watched This Week III

did you ever see that movie where that chick breaks into the blind guy’s house? I think it was called Don’t Breathe.

One of the best horrors I’ve seen for a while. Blind guy in it’s super menacing.

1 Like

Yeah that blind dude was a bad motherfucker.

1 Like

The Gunslinger.

Absolute abomination. If you’ve read the books, you’ll just be pissed that this steaming pile of shit is what we finally got. Horrible.

If you haven’t read the books you’ll be totally lost because there is no backstory development at all really. Somehow they managed to be untrue to the books AND make a totally worthless stand alone film.

I want my money back and I want to sue for pain and suffering.

This makes me sad…loved the books, really like Idris Elba, was really looking forward to this movie. Bugger.

Do the books get better? I read the first one and it didn’t really blow me away. I’ve heard the series is awesome from several people though.

I personally really enjoyed them, but I also really enjoyed Roland as a character. I’d say it’s kind of like a good TV series, the first book or two (season 1) is for development and setting the stage, and then it really gets into the nitty gritty and Roland’s character/personality really develops and you get to know him. He’s a bad dude throughout.

Thanks. I’ll give the next one a shot and see how it goes.

I think 10 years went by after I read The Gunslinger before I gave the series another shot. The Drawing of The Three got its hooks into me and I basically tore through the rest of the series in a few months. Some books were better than others but I enjoyed them all, with The Gunslinger being by far the least-enjoyable for me.

I’ve also heard nothing but bad things about the movie. My buddy said they basically crammed the first three books into a 90 min PG-13 stink bomb.

The IT trailers are scaring me.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to interpret that statement. I think the trailers look pretty good. IT is my favorite King novel though, so maybe I’m just blinded by enthusiasm?

I have high hopes, too. The trailers have raised the hairs on my neck. I think some of it is remembered childhood fright from the old mini series. Which is kind of cool, and fitting. I really want to enjoy this movie.

I haven’t read much from King, but I love lots of movies of his books. Christine, Cats Eye, Maximum Overdrive, Sometimes they Come Back, of course The Shining. Even the not great ones are great.

1 Like

imho, his best movies are adapations of his short stories, not his novels.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption = Shawshank Redemption
The Body = Stand By Me

And both were from the same collection, Different Seasons.

2 Likes

Agreed but I think they did a good job w The Green Mile and The Stand. The Stand is IMO the best SK book.

1 Like

My personal favorite is Pet Sematary.

That book is scary. Really scary.

2 Likes

Dude can tell a great story.

I didn’t even want to mention Shawshank. For at least 10 years, I would just have to stop and watch that movie if I came across it on TV.

Green Mile is one of my gf’s favorites.

I think I saw Pet Cemetery 2, first, which ruined kinda ruined the whole concept for me.

that’s a brilliant book.

My favourite Steven King book is Firestarter.

2 Likes

Same here.

The first episode of The Stand (mini-series) was pretty good. The rest of the episodes sucked. But I gotta say the casting was spot on.

I think The Mist was the best movie adaptation of his work ever.

ohh moderately controversial!

Not The Shining?

100%.

I love just about everything he writes and have been so disappointed by movie adaptations of his horror novels. Part of what I enjoy about his books is the the down home minutiae in the descriptions that, I believe, would be difficult to translate to film. The way that he sets a scene with description would have to be visual and it loses something.

I’ve just started listening to audiobooks of his novels. While it’s the same story, verbatim, hearing vs. reading gives it a bit of a different feel. First I listened to “The Stand” which I’ve read a couple of times. Listening to it was just as good.

According to King, Kubrick’s version was not a faithful adaptation. He has said numerous times that he hates it.