The Return of Even More Movies You've Watched This Week III

I was looking at seeing either Free Fire or Lost City of Z this Friday. Thanks for the review.

De nada. It wasn’t even that it was bad; just wasn’t anywhere near as good as I’d hoped.

Can anyone comment further on Split??

I’m tempted to rent it on amazon (it seemed to get relatively good reviews from both imdb and rotten tomatoes and in my experience if both have positive things to say, it’s worth a watch) but one person on here only had “fuck you shamalamylan” and didn’t know whether that was a good sign or bad. I’m already expecting 1, 2, or maybe 3 twists because its shamalynanin but also read they’re in the process of making a sequel.

Does anyone else recommend it over the other crap that I can rent from amazon, or watch on Netflix or hulu atm?

I liked it a lot.

I REALLY liked it. Rock solid plot and performance.

Passengers 6/10.

It was entertaining and spurred some discussion between my kids and I about the morality of the choices in the movie but it was missing something.

And then I came across this video and realized this 6/10 could have been an 8/10 or 9/10 had the writer not wanted to create a space-bound rom-com.

Spoilers in the vid:

1 Like

That video is brilliant.

Thanks for the reply and your’s, Steel_Nation. I watched it last week and thought the acting by James McKavoy was freakin awesome. Thought the ending could have been a little better but I’m no screenwriter. Had me up for a few nights just thinking about the plot.

If M Night decided to make this movie R-rated, I probably would’ve had a couple of nightmares at least.

Damn good acting IMO.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Not as good as the first movie in terms of plot but it’s still pretty damn awesome. The visual effects have been cranked up to 11 but it’s lost none of the character dynamics and heart of the first movie. Looking forward to Part 3.

I am so stoked for this movie and am really glad to hear that it turned out well.

1 Like

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

Solid follow-up to the original, which is probably my favorite Marvel movie. It has its issues (some of the dialogue is trying way too hard to be funny), but I don’t think any fans of the first will be disappointed.

7.5/10

3 Likes

Alien Covenant

Beautiful, intelligent, independent and empowered young woman takes charge and kicks ass against xenomorphs or something despite the inadequacy of her male counterparts. Her main ally and/or antagonist is a sexually neutral synthetic/cyborg, who may or may not have a dick, which qualifies it to be the only one capable of performing on her level. This time there are two of them(No, I’m not talking about Danny Mcbride). Which will lead to the events in Alien. And Aliens. And Alien 3 minus the cyborg.

Which is similar to what I wrote a year ago:

Aliens is a chick flick no matter which way you look at it, ok? Admit it. The men, fucking military trained badasses with combat experience, were all proven completely inadequate by the end of the movie. The only functional “maie” left, and Ripley’s best friend, is a fucking cyborg devoid of any sexual orientation. To further drive home this point, he gets CUT IN HALF AT THE WAIST to make sure that the audience knew that even if he was built anatomically correct, he ended up without a dick in the end.”

Forget the origin of human life and the engineers and shit, which this movie doesn’t give a fuck about either and screws everyone who watched it for a satisfying resolution of the plot of Prometheus. I just want to know why they keep doing the same shit again and again only with different settings.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Err… the soundtrack was pretty kickass. That’s about it.

1 Like

The reviews I’ve been reading suggested that the movie does give some explanation/follow-up to Prometheus.

In any case, the fundamental problem I see with making sequels to Alien/any movie with the xenomorph is that they can’t help but be derivative of Alien and Aliens unless one goes and greatly expanding the lore/universe.

Prometheus was an honest attempt at expanding the lore. Unfortunately, Scott failed. I did find it telling that the more recent trailers for Alien Covenant seemed to be interested mostly in showing the xenomorph over and over.

Still not sure whether Scott is an average director/writer who just chances upon brilliant writing/ideas every once in a while, or whether he’s simply inconsistent.

I believe it’s the former. No director with exceptional talent could possibly have made Robin Hood(2010). Not possible. He is(was?) a great visual stylist, I’ll give him that.

Out of curiosity, who would you consider modern great directors?

Off the top of my head, Scorsese, Coppola, The Coen Brothers. I’ll watch anything by Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze, Johnnie To…

No Spielberg?

Yeah, Spielberg.

Brian De Palma. I find it interesting that no one has ever noticed that, in his earlier films, John Woo ripped off the filming style of the action scenes in Scarface and The Untouchables. I doubt De Palma watched a lot of Chang Cheh movies.

Tsui Hark. His last great film was The Blade(1995). But once you’ve directed a film like Once Upon a Time in China 2 and write a script like New Dragon Gate Inn, you’re automatically in the Big Boys club.

Pretty disappointed with Guardians volume II. It was good as far as movies go generally, but it wasn’t even in the same galaxy as volume I. I thought the plot was shit too, to be honest.

1 Like