The Return of Even More Movies You've Watched This Week III

love this movie. so many great lines, and just beautiful

Im kinda disappointed i was really looking forward to watching logan, but then someone on facebook let out spoilers which basically screwed the whole thing and havent bothered to watch it yet.

Power Rangers (2017)

I took my kids to the Power Rangers. It was surprisingly… Not that bad.

I was expecting nothing and was fairly entertained. It actually has some good messages for kids - sacrifice, team work, believing in yourself, and being who you are. There’s a great anti-bully scene and one of the Power Rangers is LGBT (which I thought was done pretty well). If your kids are not at a stage to discuss or understand LGBT, this will probably blow right over their heads. It can also be a trigger to have a relevant discussion afterwords if they are.

I would caution you however before taking your kids if they scare easily - the villain is actually pretty freaky and twisted. Mine did okay with it, but she freaked them a little. I was surprised, as this seems a film targeted for kids, by the extremity of her character. It wasn’t anything too crazy, but not the pop villain I was expecting for a Power Ranger movie.

I’m playing catch-up:

Life

Better than I was expecting after reading reviews. Pretty tense and somewhat unpredictable. Solid thriller and worth a watch in theaters IMO.

7/10

Beauty and the Beast

This is far and away my least favorite Disney character. Considering that, this is still a pretty good movie. The live action Disney adaptations have been much better than the fluffy, unicorns and rainbows cartoons they originated from. There’s a depth to them that was really missing from the originals. This will still probably be my least favorite of the adaptations, but it’s still good enough to spend the time to watch it, especially if you have kids.

7/10

The Belko Experiment

If you go to the movies often enough, you’re bound to watch a few questionable (as in “why would you go see that?”) films. This is one of those. It’s mildly entertaining at times. Worth watching on Netflix if the rest of your queue is empty.

5/10

John Wick 2

Incredibly, I enjoyed this more than the first movie. The admirable thing about this franchise is that it knows exactly what it is and just focuses on doing that one thing really fucking well. The dialogue’s not the best, and of course 95% of it is patently absurd, but it’s so well-choreographed and tightly wound that I never even had time to consider any of that while watching. That said, I think they’ve wrung all the awesomeness that they can out of this character, and I sincerely hope they don’t try to make it a trilogy. The bar is too high for a third film to meet expectations.

9.5/10 - It’s a damn-near perfect action movie.

1 Like

Speed from 1994

An absolute masterpiece

I watched Rango. Actually pretty good and entertaining.

I watched this over the weekend. I’ve still not stopped laughing.

Watched the new 2 part Dave Chappelle stand-up show on Netflix.

As a Chappelle fan and a fan of stand-up in general, I thoroughly enjoyed both sets. As far as I’m concerned, he has not lost a step with his comedy gold.

He tells a lot of racially charged jokes, so some may not care for it. He also compares the struggles of other minorities with the struggles of black people. Some may find some of these jokes in poor taste. Didn’t bother me at all, but it may bother some others.

Side notes: he has obviously become a heavy cigarette smoker. Not a big deal, but you will notice him literally going through the motions throughout both sets. It was a step below a distraction to me. Also, after he fell off many years ago, he definitely hit the gym hard and has retained most of the size he gained, which further connects him to the group here.

It’s no secret what you are in store for, he’s just an older version of what he was before and it’s awesome. About damn time he came back, he left a huge hole that only he could fill. Others have tried, but it just wasn’t the same.

Ghost in the Shell 2017

The original cartoon was supposedly deep if you dig existentialism and stuff like that. I don’t, but I still kinda enjoyed it’s rather compelling plot.

This film is RETARDED. There’s really no other way to describe it. If you give the Power Rangers movie a lobotomy, you will end up with Ghost in the Shell.

1 Like

Speaking of Retarded movies, I watched John Carter (the mars movie with a civil war soldier leaping about) and the plot has about 5+ conflicts going on within it at all times and its connected by some magic pendant that makes a US civil war soldier go to mars and jump hundreds of feet at once. Seriously confusing but was quite entertaining.

Fate of the furious came out in cinemas in australia today so i went and watched it. Something felt missing i think because Paul walker wasn’t there, but it was crammed with action ,nice booty , and even a couple of laughs 10/10 . I think if there is a fast and furious 9 this ones going to be hard to beat.

Shit - they strayed away from the F&F formula then I guess. Sounds like a real reinvention.

3 Likes

I watched a few moview this weeks and will review them as I’m an opinionated arse.
Suicide Squad:
4/10 Action was confusing and all characters were weirdly developed if at all

Doctor Strange:
7/10 quite fun but the action was weird with all the gravity manipulation stuff going on and soul stuff, liked how they kept going back to the hospital for things, protagonist wasn’t likeable imo

Monsters Inc and Monster University
9/10 and 8/10 fun and all around great/ good

1 Like

Yeah. The action really is far fetched though

If the trailer is any indication - redirecting the trajectory of a torpedo, on ice, from the passenger side of a car going 70… no way you could do this without a hockey stick.

1 Like

Exactly! The movies logic is ridiculous😲

1 Like

Official trailer for Star Wars 8 just released.

Yeah some scenes were really pushing beyond the limits of reality. Like when The Rock’s daughter scored that goal she was clearly offside.

2 Likes

Why Him?

Solid movie, got some good laughs out of me personally, definitely not a family friendly holiday movie, ha. Franco does a great job and Cranston is pretty funny as the dad. Would recommend (as long as you have a relatively raunchy set of humor and don’t mind lots of swearing). Pretty funny movie though.

Free Fire

I was super excited about this movie. Ben Wheatley directed a movie called Sightseers I enjoyed, and so expected it to be very darkly funny. Martin Scorcese was the executive producer, and obviously when you see a name like that involved you can’t help but get your hopes up. Add to that Cillian Murphy and Sharlto Copley, and it’s safe to say my expectations were high…

And meh. Just meh. Couple of funny bits, 90% of which are down to Copley, but for the most part just meh.

6/10