The Return of Even More Movies You've Watched This Week III

Hacksaw Ridge.

I must have seen a different version - the hype on this movie is so strange to me.
-Andrew Garfield makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
-It has odd casting choices - for example Vince Vaughn turning his drill Sargent part into unneeded comedy (playing the same character he always plays).
-It is historically inaccurate, which I don’t get - it’s an amazing story, why screw with it.
-Some okay fight scenes but it’s compared to SPR and it is not even close.

Watched John Wick: Chapter 2 last weekend. It was good but not better than the first. Keanu Reeves does a pretty good job playing the part and the action sequences are simply badass. 9/10

2 Likes

Stoked to watch this, loved the first one.

I think it’s a slept on flick … plus Lucy Liu is hot af … Asa Akira reminds me of her

3 Likes

oh god yeah she’s unbelievable in that movie.

Slevin was pretty cool.

I also like
Layer Cake
Shade
Matchstick Men
Blood, Guts, Bullets and Octane

Logan

I didn’t really like it. It wasn’t bad. Maybe my expectations were too high after watching the trailers and reading the reviews(I’ll never trust reviews again after this and that piece of crap that was Arrival). The fight scenes were awesome though.

1 Like

I loved it.

Finally broke my bad movie spell.

1 Like

Logan - This is definitely the best Wolverine movie, which isn’t saying a whole helluva lot, and it’s a solid ending to Hugh Jackman’s run as the character. It benefits from the R rating (thanks Deadpool!); the fight scenes are infinitely better with the blood and gore. Some of the emotional beats don’t really land with the same magnitude that was intended, but they still work well enough to leave a mark.

Overall, an entertaining effort. 7.5/10

EDIT: Lowered rating after further reflection. It’s a solidly entertaining film, just not quite an 8.

c’mon ya cunt ye!

Robert Carlisle was amazing in that movie

1 Like

Shit he’s always amazing. You almost completely forget it’s him playing a role when you watch his movies(e.g, like Tom Hardy in Bronson.). Spud was really good too.

Two duds:

The Great Wall - I wasn’t expecting much and it lived down to it. Matt Damon must intentionally shoot for a bad movie after a couple good ones. Pretty good fight scenes, the whistle arrows are cool, and the specialization of the Chinese forces is interestingish. But man is it a brain dead story. It’s like something you would make up around a camp fire to tell a bunch of 12 year-olds.

Exodus: Gods and Kings. This is painful. Great Actors (albeit poorly cast) and a Good director (albeit a self described atheist). I kept thinking - why are the actors playing Egyptians using English accents?

Kong: Skull Island - Good effects, good monster fights, and John C. Reilly’s character is pretty cool. Otherwise it’s kinda dull. I think it suffers from over-promotion, because the wow factor was completely lost on me after seeing trailers for the past 6+ months. There is a post-credits scene that sets up a future movie. 6.5/10

1 Like

Get Out

Not bad. Skillfully crafted horror film but the payoff wasn’t worth the slow buildup and the entire premise was just too silly to match it’s tone. The critics are raving about this film. Fuck them. Just because a film tackles racial issues does not automatically make it oscar material. Don’t make me waste my money on something I should have waited to watch on Netflix, you PC fucks. You either have no balls or fail to comprehend the irony that fucktards like you are part of the film’s jokes. The director, however, has skill. He will make something really worth raving about in the future.

2 Likes

The Arrival
It was okay. I kinda figured what was going on halfway through the movie. Because of that, no real payoff for me in the end. Also, what was Forest Whitaker’s accent?

The Accountant
Decent movie in my opinion. They spent time with multiple characters, which enhanced the movie. But that may have also taken away from the development/story of Ben Affleck’s character. And the revelation about his brother was not so for me… Again, figure that out about midway through the movie.

The Thin Red Line - re-watch

This movie annoys me more and more every time I watch it, but it’s one of those that when it’s on, I can’t help but watch it. I know it’s Terence Malik, but it could have been so good if edited better. The cast is insanely amazing - even mid-level support characters are played by A-listers. There are still parts of this I love but it could have been so much more.

The Magnificent Seven - Re-Make, not original

I thought it was solid, grew up on classic western movies with my old man, and I feel like it stayed fairly true to “western” standards. Denzel does a good job, there isn’t over the top gratuitous violence or gore, and apparently I have a small man crush on Chris Pratt because I got an absolute kick out of him throughout the movie (I didn’t feel like he went over the top and detracted from the movie, felt like his humor was spot on.) Solid cast throughout the secondary characters. All in all would recommend it, and would watch it again.

Watched Room - Pretty good film about a mother & her son who are imprisoned in a room for years and years…not a classic by any means but certainly worth a watch 7/10.

King Kong (2005).

This is the Naomi Watts/Jack Black vehicle Roger Ebert gave 5/5 stars to. What a colossal piece of shit. The movie hasn’t aged well and I hate action scenes that look like they were taken from a commercial for Disney World (“look at her tobogganing through the rocks and trees, let’s turn that into a roller coaster!”)

I can only imagine Peter Jackson was given a pass so soon after creating The Lord of The Rings.

Beauty and the Beast 2017

My opinion:

1. Hermione was seriously born to play this role.
  2. The updated music and score are fucking astounding.
  3. The musical sequences and some scenes can only be described as magical. I mean, seriously, there were times when this film almost went into Miyazaki territory.

If you rate this movie as a sum of it’s parts, it’s average at best. It is deeply flawed in terms of screenwriting and consistency. But I fucking loved it for the individual scenes that stood out. I even stayed through the credits, which is something I never do. It’s nice to have your cynicism taken away from you for 2 hours.

1 Like