The Religious Case for Gay Marriage

…i think they should make divorce illegal. That’ll stop those damned gays from wanting to get married!

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Standard Donkey wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Rofl. This is laughable. Yes, Jesus would want the sacrament of marriage extended to a lifestyle that is an abomination. Massive fail.

Edit: Seriously, fine. You’re not a religious person. But to pretend that Christians have it wrong on homosexual marriage, within the context of our own religion, is plain dumb. It’s one of the unnatural and sinful acts that is directly condemned in both the old and new testaments. Geeze.

The Bible is discriminatory, divisive, and unconstitutional. Someone should rewrite it to include politcally correct principles.

I think the emergents have already done it:
http://hearthevoice.com/books/profile/27722

[/quote]

I think I’ll stick with my King James version.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…i think they should make divorce illegal. That’ll stop those damned gays from wanting to get married![/quote]

Making divorce illegal might weaken the trend toward legal recognition of gay marriage. At least some of the pro-gay-marriage activists know that contemporary society’s ingrained acceptance of divorce indirectly bolsters the case for legal recognition of gay marriage.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
So odd.

When people believe in religion and don’t support gay marriage, they are slandered for believing in “fairy tales” and maintaining the US’ “social progression curve” behind that of cave-dwelling troglodytes.

When people believe in religion and do support gay marriage, suddenly all bad faith is erased, the “fairy tales” become warm and fuzzy life principles by which are appreciated as common ground in the quest for humanity’s Enlightenment.

Curious. Oh, and stupid. Oh, and par for the course.[/quote]

What are you talking about? If you support gay marriage and think the Bible is literal, you’re still an idiot for believing in fairytales.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
forlife you are one very messed up individual. Why don’t you begin your road back to being at least semi-normal by talking about something other than homosexuals?

[/quote]

PRAY OUT THE GAY!!

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
forlife you are one very messed up individual. Why don’t you begin your road back to being at least semi-normal by talking about something other than homosexuals?

PRAY OUT THE GAY!![/quote]

If only it were so simple

The only support that forlife will be able to find from Christianity for his lifestyle is Jesus’ requirement of those who follow him (myself included) to demonstrate his (Jesus’)love for everyone.

The govn’t should just mush government marriage license into civil union,its supposed to be secular anyways, give it some bullshit legal code name, form 91-D, keep all the benefits. Make it a mail-in on top of that, so theres no stupid spectacles on city steps. Allow churches do decide if they want to say fuck off or not.

govn’t gets their hands out of this mess, let people fight over it in private.

also, i voted no on prop 8 simply because all the outside money pouring in on both sides. California already has enough lobbying and outside interest problems, we dont need more.

and this, in context of the gay stuff being taught in school bs:

"The commercial shifts to Richard Peterson, a professor at Pepperdine University School of Law, who warns that ?gay marriage will be taught in schools . . . churches could lose their tax exemption,? and that there will be ?people sued over personal beliefs.?

Supporters of Proposition 8 initially tried to make similar arguments in the official state voter pamphlet, but a judge ruled that those accusations were ?false and misleading.?

Instead, Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Timothy Frawley ordered Proposition 8 supporters to couch the wording by using terms such as ?may? or ?could? in describing the measure’s effect on same-sex weddings’ becoming part of the curriculum."

bending the fucking rules to let people lie to voters is flat out wrong, regardless of whose doing it.

hopefully it gets done away with, let people restart the process, do it ethically (ironic that the side arguing gay marriage is unethical, is unethical on so many fronts regarding prop 8). If it passes clean, so be it.

[quote]NealRaymond2 wrote:
ephrem wrote:
…i think they should make divorce illegal. That’ll stop those damned gays from wanting to get married!

Making divorce illegal might weaken the trend toward legal recognition of gay marriage. At least some of the pro-gay-marriage activists know that contemporary society’s ingrained acceptance of divorce indirectly bolsters the case for legal recognition of gay marriage.[/quote]

…how big do you think the chances are that divorce becomes illegal if that would mean gays have less of a chance getting same-sex marriages approved on a federal level?

[quote]Makavali wrote:

What are you talking about? If you support gay marriage and think the Bible is literal, you’re still an idiot for believing in fairytales.[/quote]

I’m talking about Forlife’s lame distinction - when religion comes to a conclusion he supports, he is more than content to respect religion and its teachings. When a religion produces a conclusion that he doesn’t support, well, religion is “fairy tales”, etc.

If Forlife actually thinks so lowly of religion generally, why would he be endorsing “The Religious Case for Gay Marriage”?

The dividing line isn’t based on any principles, just convenience. As we have learned, Forlife will say just about anything - no matter how inconsistent, contradictory, or downright bizarre - to support his fundamentalist Crusade.

The irony, of course, has been pointed out over and over - there isn’t a nickel’s worth of difference in the “fairy tale believin’”, narrow-minded zealots of the Christian stripe and Forlife’s approach.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
NealRaymond2 wrote:
ephrem wrote:

Making divorce illegal might weaken the trend toward legal recognition of gay marriage. At least some of the pro-gay-marriage activists know that contemporary society’s ingrained acceptance of divorce indirectly bolsters the case for legal recognition of gay marriage.

…how big do you think the chances are that divorce becomes illegal if that would mean gays have less of a chance getting same-sex marriages approved on a federal level?[/quote]

In the short term, virtually none.

In the longer term, if divorce were ever made illegal or at least harder to obtain, arresting the trend toward legal recognition of gay marriage would not be a primary motivation. But nonetheless, it might be a side effect.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
The only support that forlife will be able to find from Christianity for his lifestyle is Jesus’ requirement of those who follow him (myself included) to demonstrate his (Jesus’)love for everyone.
[/quote]

There is also the concept of letting God sort things out… instead of usurping that role ourselves.

I don’t think we are here to force people to walk the right path, though it is appropriate to point it out if asked.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

PRAY OUT THE GAY!!

It’s odd that you would even mention such a phrase.

Did I once bring up religion?

No.

It’s almost like lefties like you are obsessed with being anti religious.

I was just urging forlife to at least try to act normal by posting on a different topic. Now I’ll urge you to stay on topic…at least when addressing someone else’s post.
[/quote]

I’ll pray for you.

I’m talking about Forlife’s lame distinction - when religion comes to a conclusion he supports, he is more than content to respect religion and its teachings. When a religion produces a conclusion that he doesn’t support, well, religion is “fairy tales”, etc.

If Forlife actually thinks so lowly of religion generally, why would he be endorsing “The Religious Case for Gay Marriage”?

The dividing line isn’t based on any principles, just convenience. As we have learned, Forlife will say just about anything - no matter how inconsistent, contradictory, or downright bizarre - to support his fundamentalist Crusade.

The irony, of course, has been pointed out over and over - there isn’t a nickel’s worth of difference in the “fairy tale believin’”, narrow-minded zealots of the Christian stripe and Forlife’s approach.
[/quote]

Oh I see. Nevermind then. But my statement still stands.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

PRAY OUT THE GAY!!

It’s odd that you would even mention such a phrase.

Did I once bring up religion?

No.

It’s almost like lefties like you are obsessed with being anti religious.

I was just urging forlife to at least try to act normal by posting on a different topic. Now I’ll urge you to stay on topic…at least when addressing someone else’s post.

I’ll pray for you.

Based upon what you’re probably going to pray to …forget it.

[/quote]

Fucking Spongebob-o-phobes. You make me sick.

I’ll pray for your salvation.

So odd.

When people believe in religion and don’t support gay marriage, they are slandered for believing in “fairy tales” and maintaining the US’ “social progression curve” behind that of cave-dwelling troglodytes.

When people believe in religion and do support gay marriage, suddenly all bad faith is erased, the “fairy tales” become warm and fuzzy life principles by which are appreciated as common ground in the quest for humanity’s Enlightenment.

Curious. Oh, and stupid. Oh, and par for the course.

[/quote]

Feel good christians, I mean non christians looking for a purpose but still haven’t found it.

Makavali wrote:

What are you talking about? If you support gay marriage and think the Bible is literal, you’re still an idiot for believing in fairytales.

[/quote]

Yeah, on the other thread he thought the whole Bible was bunk and the church pushed him into marrying his wife, to whom he wasn’t physically attracted. Bizarrely, he posts this.