The Real Issue: Bush Incompetent

THE REAL ISSUE: BUSH IS INCOMPETENT

Fri Aug 27
Op/Ed By Richard Reeves

NEW YORK – President Bush is coming to town. You better watch out, you better not shout – unless you’re a certified delegate inside Madison Square Garden. With protesters somewhere out of sight, the Republican National Convention will be a celebration of the ideology, values and interests served by this second Bush presidency.

Whether you agree or disagree with the words pouring from the podium over Americans who see reflections of themselves in George W. Bush, the real issue of this election will not be mentioned. The core issue is this: Our president is incompetent. He is not a good president.

Let me count the ways:

b[/b] He has divided the country; we are all part of a vicious little hissing match. We were united and humbled on Sept. 12, 2001. We are divided and humiliated now, telling lies about each other.

b[/b] He has divided the world. “We are all Americans now,” headlined Le Monde on that Sept. 12. Now there are days when it seems as if they are all anti-Americans.

b[/b] He is leaving no child or grandchild without debt. He has taken the government from surplus into deficit in the name of national security and increased private investment. We can pay the debt in two ways: with more government revenues (taxation) or by borrowing – against the sweat and income of new generations. The president has chosen to borrow.

b[/b] He campaigns as a champion of smaller government, but is greatly increasing the size and role of government. Ideological conservatism, it turns out, costs just as much or more than ideological liberalism. Conservative and liberal politicians are both for increasing the reach and power of government. The difference between them is which parts and functions of the state are to be empowered and financed. The choice is between military measures and order, or more redistribution of income. Money is power.

b[/b] He is diminishing the military of which he is so proud now as commander in chief. The invasion and occupation of Iraq have obviously not worked out the way he imagined – naked torture was not the goal. But the far greater problem for the future is that our proud commander has revealed the hollowness behind the unilateral superpower. From the top down, we have not been able to win Iraq, much less the world. And going into Iraq has compromised or crippled the war on terror he declared himself.

b[/b] He is diminishing scientific progress, the great engine of the 20th century. Only the truly ignorant can believe that the proper role of government is to hinder medical research and environmental study in the name of God.

b[/b] He is diminishing the Constitution of the United States. Cheesy tricks like amending the great text of freedom to attack homosexuality can be dismissed as wedge politics. But it is worse to preach against an activist judiciary while appointing more activist judges who happen to hold different beliefs, particularly the idea that civil liberties are the enemies of patriotism, security and freedom itself.

b[/b] He has surrounded himself with other incompetents. The secretary of state is presiding over the rape of diplomacy and its alliances. The secretary of defense has sent our young men and women into situations they were never meant or trained to handle, and now they are being ordered into battle by an appointed minister in a faraway land. The national security adviser does not seem to know that her job description includes coordinating defense and diplomacy. And then there was our $340,000-a-month local hire, Ahmed Chalabi, sitting in the gallery of our House.

b[/b] He has been unable or unwilling to deal with declining employment and the rising medical costs of becoming an older nation.

b[/b] He is, as if by design, destroying the credibility of the United States as a force for peace in the world – an honest broker – particularly in the Middle East.

The list is longer, miscalculation after miscalculation. President Bush has not been able to function effectively at this pay grade. He may mean well, but this has been a difficult time, and he is in over his head. We and our kids will pay the price for his blundering, blunderbuss adventure in Washington. He has been tested in a difficult time – and, unhappily for all of us and the world, he has not been up to the job.

[quote]Lumpy wrote:
THE REAL ISSUE: BUSH IS INCOMPETENT

Fri Aug 27
Op/Ed By Richard Reeves
[/quote]

I’m glad this is an op-ed. Too bad this guy didn’t feel the need to back up any of these points with evidence of any kind. I love these lists - lots of accusations, and no proof. Or, to paraphrase a great writer, full of sound and fury, but signifying nothing.

[quote] NEW YORK – President Bush is coming to town. You better watch out, you better not shout – unless you’re a certified delegate inside Madison Square Garden. With protesters somewhere out of sight, the Republican National Convention will be a celebration of the ideology, values and interests served by this second Bush presidency.

Whether you agree or disagree with the words pouring from the podium over Americans who see reflections of themselves in George W. Bush, the real issue of this election will not be mentioned. The core issue is this: Our president is incompetent. He is not a good president.

Let me count the ways:

b[/b] He has divided the country; we are all part of a vicious little hissing match. We were united and humbled on Sept. 12, 2001. We are divided and humiliated now, telling lies about each other.

Hmmm. The French and the Germans are no longer thrilled with us. Uh oh, “The world is against us.” Those who take this line continually insult our allies such as Britain, Australia, Poland, Italy, and the rest of the EU that does not include France, Germany and Belgium.

Yes, Bush has spent too much for my conservative tastes – however, the attacks from the left ring hollow for two reasons: 1) The two biggest spending bills were No Child Left Behind and the Prescription Drug Benefit. NCLB was sponsored by Ted Kennedy, and is now criticized as not spending enough money. THe Presciption Drug Benefit is not characterized as not spending enough money. And, Kerry’s proposed economic plan (at least what he’s said so far) will cost more than Bush’s proposed economic plan.

How does this make an issue that is positive for Kerry?

I wish Bush had campaigned for smaller government - he specifically did not. He specifically campaigned for “compassionate conservatism”, which conservatives said was code for social spending. Conservatives were correct. See above.

We weren’t unilateral. This position is an insult to our allies. I would love for Kerry to repeat it when he makes a visit to 10 Downing Street, or to the EU.

Iraq has its problems, but it isn’t as bad as most of the media stories make it sound. As a military victory, it was astounding. Unfortunately, the failure was to account for the problem in letting the surrendering Iraqis who were hard-core Baathists simply leave, and in not bringing in enough troops to properly secure the borders.

Still, Iraq cannot fairly be categorized as a failure - in order to do so, you have to keep moving the bar for success - which, of course, journalists seem to have little trouble doing.

This point is either a blatant lie or the author simply doesn’t know what he is talking about. Government isn’t hindering any scientific progress. The only policy Bush has implemented here is to not have the government fund research on fetal stem cells except for a certain number of strands already created. The government is not stopping anyone else from engaging in whatever fetal stem cell research they wish.

And what the heck was he talking about with religion and environmental policy?

Actually, I would like anyone who agrees with Roe v. Wade to come up with a rational explanation of how amending the Constitution shows less respect for the document than making up a right that’s not in the Constitution and claiming it is in the Constitution?

And, what is he talking about with judges and civil liberties? What cases have come down during the Bush term - especially from Bush appointees - that are restrictive of civil liberties? I haven’t heard of these cases.

Give me a break - Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld are incompetents? Now I know why this author didn’t want to have to come up with examples…

Actually, Bush has brought up a very good way to deal with Social Security - along the same manner that the British reformed their system - and the Democrats screamed bloody murder and accused them of wanting to starve old people. Privatizing part of social security - anyone remember that?

Ted Kennedy in the Senate also watered down Bush’s medical savings accounts reform plan for medicare - but at least this got its foot in the door, and the more people learn about it the more clamoring there will be to expand it.

Three or four of these are basically repetitious. Also, I thought the U.N. was supposed to be the force for peace in the world? The U.S. is supposed to look out for U.S. interests first, allies’ interests second.

[quote]The list is longer, miscalculation after miscalculation. President Bush has not been able to function effectively at this pay grade. He may mean well, but this has been a difficult time, and he is in over his head. We and our kids will pay the price for his blundering, blunderbuss adventure in Washington. He has been tested in a difficult time – and, unhappily for all of us and the world, he has not been up to the job.

I like that: blundering blunderbuss. Unfortunately for him, it describes the writing of this author better than anything else.

Hey Lumpy!!!

I didn’t know you read the New York Times editorial page!!! An ultra-left-liberal reading things written by ultra-left-liberals. Ok, now I’ve seen everything.

By the way, each of these so called proofs of incompetence have been thoroughly debunked throughout our various threads.

If you would like to offer up a specific argument in support of this silliness, I would be more than happy to drown it with facts.

Keep investing your emotional energies in the Kerry candidacy!!!

Having fun!!!

JeffR

BB,

You don’t recognize any of these things as true?

This isn’t happening right now? We can’t all judge the truth of this statement on our own without scientific proof? Ding, point to the author.

You don’t remember “we are all Americans now”? I do. Too bad we eat freedom fries now. Ding, point to the author.

The president cut taxes and now has a huge deficit. You need a link in order to believe this? You don’t already know? You may agree it was the right thing to do, but the author is correct that this has happened. Ding, point to the author.

Here he complains that both parties are trying to increase the scope of the government. Again, you may agree that the proposed spending is appropriate, but are you going to argue it isn’t happening? Anyhow, I’ll call this one a draw to be cautious.

I think the author has a point, but I don’t think he has proven the US cannot wage the war on terror while in Iraq. Iraq is neither a win nor a loss right now. The sad thing is that if the Iraqi people would just be peaceful the US could leave. Ding, point to BB.

Again, this one resonates with so many people that are not in favor of Bush. However, the author hasn’t really shown that this is happening. Ding, point to BB.

I’m afraid the author has a point here. Putting in judges that are pro “your stance” does not make them less than activists. This is commonly done by all administrations. Ding, point to the author.

Well, there are some good points here. However the author wades into invective and fails to support everything claimed. However, his team allowing Abu Ghraib to occur on his watch, bad planning on the aftermath, trusting Chalibi, very poor judgement (also known as incompetence). However, I’m willing to call it a draw due to other extreme claims made.

Well, how to judge. There is a up trend now, but only after a down trend. You can also claim that the divide between rich and poor is increasing, though you could counterclaim that as long as you are making lots of money you don’t care. I’m going for the draw again.

Well, yes, I can’t imagine the US has any real part of the peace process in the Middle East right now. I don’t think you need scientific proof to see that any deal proposed by the US will be derided by Arabic critics. Ding, point to author even if you don’t care if the US is a peace broker or not.

So, lets see, where did I put my voodoo stick, this is some complex math. Points to the author 5, points to BB 2, inconclusive points 3. That is a more honest assessment of this article. The quick dismissal is just arising out of a political opposition to the statements included.

[quote]vroom wrote:
BB,

You don’t recognize any of these things as true? [/quote]

We can talk about whether they’re true, but the thesis was that they were all true and all Bush’s fault.

[quote]He has divided the country; we are all part of a vicious little hissing match. We were united and humbled on Sept. 12, 2001. We are divided and humiliated now, telling lies about each other.

This isn’t happening right now? We can’t all judge the truth of this statement on our own without scientific proof? Ding, point to the author.[/quote]

Whether it’s happening or not is beside the point. THe author’s thesis is that Bush caused it - and, more than that, is at fault. Don’t you think the “Anybody But Bush” crowd has a hand in the divisiveness? I think the fact that a large group of citizens has chosen to hate the president and his policies is sad, but I don’t lay the blame on Bush for not appeasing them.

[quote]He has divided the world. “We are all Americans now,” headlined Le Monde on that Sept. 12. Now there are days when it seems as if they are all anti-Americans.

You don’t remember “we are all Americans now”? I do. Too bad we eat freedom fries now. Ding, point to the author.[/quote]

Oh, come on now - the fact that a French newspaper published a headline, and then the French government went on to advance its own interests by opposing the U.S. at every turn gives rise to the idea that Bush created a divided world?

Once again, I think this does a disservice to American allies to attempt to create this “AMerican unilateralist” picture, that is completely false, BTW. I can live with the French government and opinionated class being out of sorts.

There is a division going on, but it’s a division of priorities. The difference in the day-to-day headlines of a French daily notwithstanding.

[quote] He is leaving no child or grandchild without debt. He has taken the government from surplus into deficit in the name of national security and increased private investment. We can pay the debt in two ways: with more government revenues (taxation) or by borrowing – against the sweat and income of new generations. The president has chosen to borrow.

The president cut taxes and now has a huge deficit. You need a link in order to believe this? You don’t already know? You may agree it was the right thing to do, but the author is correct that this has happened. Ding, point to the author.[/quote]

You aren’t addressing what I wrote at all. There is a huge deficit. It is a problem.

I was arguing with the implication of the author - namely that Kerry would be better for those who actually care about the deficit, as opposed to those who just want to make some political hay. Please, make that case for me.

[quote]He campaigns as a champion of smaller government, but is greatly increasing the size and role of government. Ideological conservatism, it turns out, costs just as much or more than ideological liberalism. Conservative and liberal politicians are both for increasing the reach and power of government. The difference between them is which parts and functions of the state are to be empowered and financed. The choice is between military measures and order, or more redistribution of income. Money is power.

Here he complains that both parties are trying to increase the scope of the government. Again, you may agree that the proposed spending is appropriate, but are you going to argue it isn’t happening? Anyhow, I’ll call this one a draw to be cautious.[/quote]

Did you read what I wrote, or just what the author wrote? Bush didn’t campaign on reducing government. He campaigned on “compassionate conservatism.” People argued at the time this didn’t mean reducing government, and Bush never said it meant reducing government - in fact, he said the opposite, and talked about spending money on social programs. Which, of course, he did - and which, to the extent he is criticized from the left for increasing the deficit, belies the deficit critique.

[quote]He is diminishing the military of which he is so proud now as commander in chief. The invasion and occupation of Iraq have obviously not worked out the way he imagined – naked torture was not the goal. But the far greater problem for the future is that our proud commander has revealed the hollowness behind the unilateral superpower. From the top down, we have not been able to win Iraq, much less the world. And going into Iraq has compromised or crippled the war on terror he declared himself.

I think the author has a point, but I don’t think he has proven the US cannot wage the war on terror while in Iraq. Iraq is neither a win nor a loss right now. The sad thing is that if the Iraqi people would just be peaceful the US could leave. Ding, point to BB.[/quote]

Thanks, I think.

[quote]He is diminishing scientific progress, the great engine of the 20th century. Only the truly ignorant can believe that the proper role of government is to hinder medical research and environmental study in the name of God.

Again, this one resonates with so many people that are not in favor of Bush. However, the author hasn’t really shown that this is happening. Ding, point to BB.[/quote]

Thanks again. I still don’t know what he was referencing in terms of environmental policy. W/r/t stem-cell research, Bush’s policy is consistently misrepresented as a ban, when it is not a ban. Only in politics could declining to pay for something be a ban.

[quote]He is diminishing the Constitution of the United States. Cheesy tricks like amending the great text of freedom to attack homosexuality can be dismissed as wedge politics. But it is worse to preach against an activist judiciary while appointing more activist judges who happen to hold different beliefs, particularly the idea that civil liberties are the enemies of patriotism, security and freedom itself.

I’m afraid the author has a point here. Putting in judges that are pro “your stance” does not make them less than activists. This is commonly done by all administrations. Ding, point to the author.[/quote]

Interesting on the activist note, but the author provides precisely NO examples. None of the critiques I’ve heard for the Bush nominees have anything to do with activism. BTW, originalism isn’t activism - activism is putting ones own interpretation into the law or constitution. Originalism could mean overturning precedent, but that is different, in that precedent is entirely judge-made to begin with.

BTW, what cases was the author referencing? None I’ve heard of.

This is my area of expertise – if I were a betting man, I’d wager on me over this guy on this subject.

[quote]He has surrounded himself with other incompetents. The secretary of state is presiding over the rape of diplomacy and its alliances. The secretary of defense has sent our young men and women into situations they were never meant or trained to handle, and now they are being ordered into battle by an appointed minister in a faraway land. The national security adviser does not seem to know that her job description includes coordinating defense and diplomacy. And then there was our $340,000-a-month local hire, Ahmed Chalabi, sitting in the gallery of our House.

Well, there are some good points here. However the author wades into invective and fails to support everything claimed. However, his team allowing Abu Ghraib to occur on his watch, bad planning on the aftermath, trusting Chalibi, very poor judgement (also known as incompetence). However, I’m willing to call it a draw due to other extreme claims made.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but the whole idea of “it occurred on his watch, so he is to blame” troubles me. It basically absolves all other individual actors of responsibility. Abu Ghraib has in no way been linked to the President or his policies - please refer to the WSJ editorial on the “Final Word on Lies About Kerry” thread.

As to Iraq generally, I could not possibly argue everything in Iraq was perfectly planned or perfectly executed. But it’s certainly not the quagmire or huge problem it is generally portrayed as in the media.

[quote]He has been unable or unwilling to deal with declining employment and the rising medical costs of becoming an older nation.

Well, how to judge. There is a up trend now, but only after a down trend. You can also claim that the divide between rich and poor is increasing, though you could counterclaim that as long as you are making lots of money you don’t care. I’m going for the draw again.[/quote]

This deserves its own thread, both on your comments on separation of rich and poor and the author’s assertions. Perhaps I will start one tommorrow. Suffice it to say, for now, this is ridiculous.

[quote]He is, as if by design, destroying the credibility of the United States as a force for peace in the world – an honest broker – particularly in the Middle East.

Well, yes, I can’t imagine the US has any real part of the peace process in the Middle East right now. I don’t think you need scientific proof to see that any deal proposed by the US will be derided by Arabic critics. Ding, point to author even if you don’t care if the US is a peace broker or not.[/quote]

When were proposals by the U.S. not derided by Arab critics? Go back and check your history books – apparently we’ve been pawns of the Israelis since at least the late 1950s, if one were to go by Arab opinion. How has Bush made this worse?

{quote]So, lets see, where did I put my voodoo stick, this is some complex math. Points to the author 5, points to BB 2, inconclusive points 3. That is a more honest assessment of this article. The quick dismissal is just arising out of a political opposition to the statements included.[/quote]

Or, perhaps, it’s arising from the fact the author put forth a lot of claims and no facts, no reasoning, no explication – basically just levelled a lot of charges at Bush. But, for one who likes to draw parallels to recent politics, if one likes that sort of thing I guess one would be with Kerry’s defenders in general.

[quote]vroom wrote:
BB,

You don’t recognize any of these things as true?

He has divided the country; we are all part of a vicious little hissing match. We were united and humbled on Sept. 12, 2001. We are divided and humiliated now, telling lies about each other.

This isn’t happening right now? We can’t all judge the truth of this statement on our own without scientific proof? Ding, point to the author.

He has divided the world. “We are all Americans now,” headlined Le Monde on that Sept. 12. Now there are days when it seems as if they are all anti-Americans.

You don’t remember “we are all Americans now”? I do. Too bad we eat freedom fries now. Ding, point to the author.

He is leaving no child or grandchild without debt. He has taken the government from surplus into deficit in the name of national security and increased private investment. We can pay the debt in two ways: with more government revenues (taxation) or by borrowing – against the sweat and income of new generations. The president has chosen to borrow.

The president cut taxes and now has a huge deficit. You need a link in order to believe this? You don’t already know? You may agree it was the right thing to do, but the author is correct that this has happened. Ding, point to the author.

He campaigns as a champion of smaller government, but is greatly increasing the size and role of government. Ideological conservatism, it turns out, costs just as much or more than ideological liberalism. Conservative and liberal politicians are both for increasing the reach and power of government. The difference between them is which parts and functions of the state are to be empowered and financed. The choice is between military measures and order, or more redistribution of income. Money is power.

Here he complains that both parties are trying to increase the scope of the government. Again, you may agree that the proposed spending is appropriate, but are you going to argue it isn’t happening? Anyhow, I’ll call this one a draw to be cautious.

He is diminishing the military of which he is so proud now as commander in chief. The invasion and occupation of Iraq have obviously not worked out the way he imagined – naked torture was not the goal. But the far greater problem for the future is that our proud commander has revealed the hollowness behind the unilateral superpower. From the top down, we have not been able to win Iraq, much less the world. And going into Iraq has compromised or crippled the war on terror he declared himself.

I think the author has a point, but I don’t think he has proven the US cannot wage the war on terror while in Iraq. Iraq is neither a win nor a loss right now. The sad thing is that if the Iraqi people would just be peaceful the US could leave. Ding, point to BB.

He is diminishing scientific progress, the great engine of the 20th century. Only the truly ignorant can believe that the proper role of government is to hinder medical research and environmental study in the name of God.

Again, this one resonates with so many people that are not in favor of Bush. However, the author hasn’t really shown that this is happening. Ding, point to BB.

He is diminishing the Constitution of the United States. Cheesy tricks like amending the great text of freedom to attack homosexuality can be dismissed as wedge politics. But it is worse to preach against an activist judiciary while appointing more activist judges who happen to hold different beliefs, particularly the idea that civil liberties are the enemies of patriotism, security and freedom itself.

I’m afraid the author has a point here. Putting in judges that are pro “your stance” does not make them less than activists. This is commonly done by all administrations. Ding, point to the author.

He has surrounded himself with other incompetents. The secretary of state is presiding over the rape of diplomacy and its alliances. The secretary of defense has sent our young men and women into situations they were never meant or trained to handle, and now they are being ordered into battle by an appointed minister in a faraway land. The national security adviser does not seem to know that her job description includes coordinating defense and diplomacy. And then there was our $340,000-a-month local hire, Ahmed Chalabi, sitting in the gallery of our House.

Well, there are some good points here. However the author wades into invective and fails to support everything claimed. However, his team allowing Abu Ghraib to occur on his watch, bad planning on the aftermath, trusting Chalibi, very poor judgement (also known as incompetence). However, I’m willing to call it a draw due to other extreme claims made.

He has been unable or unwilling to deal with declining employment and the rising medical costs of becoming an older nation.

Well, how to judge. There is a up trend now, but only after a down trend. You can also claim that the divide between rich and poor is increasing, though you could counterclaim that as long as you are making lots of money you don’t care. I’m going for the draw again.

He is, as if by design, destroying the credibility of the United States as a force for peace in the world – an honest broker – particularly in the Middle East.

Well, yes, I can’t imagine the US has any real part of the peace process in the Middle East right now. I don’t think you need scientific proof to see that any deal proposed by the US will be derided by Arabic critics. Ding, point to author even if you don’t care if the US is a peace broker or not.

So, lets see, where did I put my voodoo stick, this is some complex math. Points to the author 5, points to BB 2, inconclusive points 3. That is a more honest assessment of this article. The quick dismissal is just arising out of a political opposition to the statements included.[/quote]

BTW, forgot to mention how nice it was of you to weigh my ideas against the author’s, with no mention whatsoever to what I wrote…

Keep up the good work.

BB, do you have to quote everything in full all the time? It’s actually “rude” in a way. Anyhow, if people can’t scroll up to find your own post they are retards.

Now, on to the meat of the issue!

BB, you claim it is the fault of everyone but Bush. Therein lies the problem. Bush is ALSO responsible for these problems.

He certainly could have listened to Powell and kept better relations with other countries if he had wished.

Rumsfeld has indeed been implicated in the Abu Ghraib issue. You may not feel so, but a lot of people do. The Bush administration is responsible for the instruments of policy that it puts into play – including the military.

In any case, the author is pointing out how Bush should have been able to make those things work out better. Well, he should have. However, the Bush administration either didn’t know that these things were problems or he simply didn’t care.

I think he “closed his eyes” after 9/11, and I can understand why, but that isn’t the right thing for a president/administration to do, not even during a time of war.

Anyway, you can argue my points all you want, but in fact in many peoples eyes the president/administration is indeed incompetent. He should have been able to do a much better job in various areas. Laying blame in other directions is precisely what the Bush administration excels at, for as we know they’ve never made any mistakes.

What bullshit.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Now, on to the meat of the issue!

BB, you claim it is the fault of everyone but Bush. Therein lies the problem. Bush is ALSO responsible for these problems.

He certainly could have listened to Powell and kept better relations with other countries if he had wished.

Rumsfeld has indeed been implicated in the Abu Ghraib issue. You may not feel so, but a lot of people do. The Bush administration is responsible for the instruments of policy that it puts into play – including the military.

In any case, the author is pointing out how Bush should have been able to make those things work out better. Well, he should have. However, the Bush administration either didn’t know that these things were problems or he simply didn’t care.

I think he “closed his eyes” after 9/11, and I can understand why, but that isn’t the right thing for a president/administration to do, not even during a time of war.

Anyway, you can argue my points all you want, but in fact in many peoples eyes the president/administration is indeed incompetent. He should have been able to do a much better job in various areas. Laying blame in other directions is precisely what the Bush administration excels at, for as we know they’ve never made any mistakes.

What bullshit.[/quote]

The meat of the issue, as you say, is the fact that you’re still throwing out charges with no back-up.

Bush should get some blame on some of these issues. However, the thesis of this article is hardly so “nuanced” as that.

No, the thesis of the article above is that Bush is incompetent for the reasons listed - that would necessarily imply primary responsibility for either causing or failing to deal with the problems listed.

So, keep talking about how you feel, and how other people feel, and don’t address arguments or counterarguments. It’s a good illustration of how this debate goes generally.

BTW, there is a conservative case to be made against Bush, and I agree with most of it – it’s just that I think Kerry will be worse. I add overspending on social items to the list below.

Here’s a good summary of that case, which I have excerpted from the post linked below:

http://www.thespoonsexperience.com/archives/002791.php#002791

ANOTHER THOUGHT ON BUSH…

I’m accused (if you can call it an accusation) by many Bush defenders of being a “purist” for my criticism of Bush. That’s actually a pretty silly allegation. After all, I’ve gone to great pains to list my problems with Bush, and if I were to list the top 5 most important political issues to me – Campaign Finance Reform, Assault Weapons Ban, illegal immigration, affirmative action, and the War on Terror – Bush holds positions diametrically opposed to mine on 4 out of 5 of them (and he’s mediocre on the 5th). And my disagreement with him runs far further than those top 5.

Apparently, though, if I refuse to vote for a guy who’s positions are anathema to me on 80% of my most important issues, I am… let me see if I’ve got this right… “a purist,” “a whiner,” “a crybaby,” “retarded,” “immature,” and “a loser.”

But you know what? After thinking about it, I realized that at least one of those insults is apt: “purist.” No, I wouldn’t have to be a purist to hope Bush loses. After all, as I’ve listed above, he’s barely with me on any of the issues I care about most. But it’s occurred to me, as I’ve discussed this issue with a few people, that one of these issues towers over all the rest to me. In fact, that one issue is so important that even if Bush were with me 100% on every single other issue I care about, I couldn’t vote for him because of his position on this issue.

Campaign Finance Reform.

I really don’t think most people realize how fundamentally we have changed the relationship between the government and the governed with that one stupid law. This Robert Samuelson column does the best job I’ve ever seen of explaining it: I beg you to read it. The freedom of speech, and the freedom to assemble to petition the government for a redress of grievances, are, more than anything else, the freedoms that define our country. Without them, we’re not the same country we used to be.

In our country, it is now against the law for people to assemble together in corporations and criticize politicians when the elections draw near.

No go back and read the preceding sentence. This is the United States of America, and we’re treating critics of politicians as criminals. There’s a word for that, and the word is tyranny. How could we have lost so much? And how can so few people notice? And how can even fewer people care?

You know, I’ve had a lot of pro-gun Bush supporters tell me things like, “Yeah, I agree with you about the Assault Weapons Ban, and if Bush actually signed it I’d vote against him, but he knows it’ll never reach his desk, so no harm done, and I’m willing to give him a pass.” To those voters, though, they feel that the Second Amendment is important enough to our liberty that they’d vote against Bush if he damaged it by signing that law.

Well, take a look around you. Bush has already signed CFR. Worse, he wants to amend it to restrict even more criticism of the government. Today, it’s just people who’ve assembled in unions and corporations that can’t criticize the government. Now, Bush wants to expand the First Amendment gag order to restrict the speech of regular people not in corporations or unions. What, you thought “527s” were anything more than just groups of citizens? That’s all they are.

As strongly as I believe that the Second Amendment is crucial to our liberty in this country, I believe that the First Amendment is even more essential. What’s more, Bush’s Campaign Finance Law is a far greater infringement on the First Amendment than the Assault Weapons Ban is on the Second.

So yeah, even though Bush is wrong on 80% of my most important political issues, I’m not going to complain anymore if you want to call me a purist. When it comes to the idea that we have a government where the people hold sovereignty, and where the people are free to criticie their leaders, and to freely associate in order to do so, then you’re goddamned right I’m a purist.

Why aren’t you?

More critiques here:

http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/archives/2004_08.html#001648

BETTER BUSH
Posted by Greg

What Bush should have said:

Look, I disagree with what the Swift Boat Veterans are saying. I think John Kerry served honorably. I am not going to question Senator Kerry's service to this country. But the fact is, these people?these swift boat veterans?disagree with me. They have opinions of their own, and their right to express those opinions is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution. This type of political expression, even if I don't agree with it, goes to the very heart of what Free Speech is all about. This is America. We don't ban Michael Moore's movies and we don't tell veterans' groups what they can and can't say.

What Bush said:

I understand how Senator Kerry feels - I've been attacked by 527's too. ... Five twenty-sevens - I think these ought to be outlawed. I think they should have been outlawed a year ago. We have billionaires writing checks, large checks, to influence the outcome of the election.

I'm trying to get reelected. And I do that by talking to the American people, not by filing lawsuits. Dick and I are leaders. We try to lead by inspiration. John and John are lawyers. Let them resort to litigation.

What Bush said:

President Bush announced Thursday he will file a lawsuit in federal court asking the federal agency that regulates campaign advertising to crack down on negative ads by groups not affiliated with political parties.

We live at a time when we cannot take chances with American security. Although we believed at the time that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, we should all be grateful that Saddam did not, and assured that now he never will. My opponent has a long history of failing to support the global fight against threats to our nation. He did not support Ronald Reagan's fight against Communism, and he has been hesitant and inconsistent in his support against the threat of terrorism.

What Bush said:

After months of questioning my motives and even my credibility, my opponent now agrees with me that even though we have not found the stockpile of weapons we all thought were there, knowing everything we know now, he would have voted to go into Iraq and remove Saddam Hussein.

(At least Bush did manage to get in this zippy one-liner “There is still a little over 60 days for him to change his mind again.”)

Yeah, I know my versions have a lot of syllables and such. But I can dream, can’t I?

One more, on the same theme as above – I’ll add that these are just the criticisms I have of Bush. I also think there is a positive case to be made for the President, particularly because I trust him far more than Kerry to prosecute the War on Terror – I’m not certain that Kerry can make a positive case, mostly because he has yet to do so:

http://www.conjecturer.com/dailycon/archives/the_conservative_case_against_bush.php

The Conservative Case Against Bush

Since I’ve been accused of being a “Republican Stormtrooper,” and because I’ve spent a lot of time lately hammering on Kerry’s obvious unelectability, I feel for balance’s sake I should post something about why I don’t like Bush, and why, under almost any other electoral circumstances, I would most likely vote for someone else. Spoons lays it out:

I've gone to great pains to list my problems with Bush, and if I were to list the top 5 most important political issues to me -- Campaign Finance Reform, Assault Weapons Ban, illegal immigration, affirmative action, and the War on Terror -- Bush holds positions diametrically opposed to mine on 4 out of 5 of them (and he's mediocre on the 5th). And my disagreement with him runs far further than those top 5.

That’s essentially it. I personally would replace “assault weapons ban” with “porking out the federal budget,” and “affirmative action” with “absolute equality” (because that includes things like marriage rights), but the general idea is the same. Bush is, on 80-90% of the issues I care about, not on my side. On the War on Terror, I think he’s made some brilliant moves but a great number of stupid error (“greeted with flowers as liberators?”). His only saving grace is that 1) like Spoons, the WoT is an overriding concern for me; and 2) Bush is more in line with my philosophy of the WoT than Kerry. (It’s worth noting, however, that on those other four issues, Kerry also holds positions that are opposed to my own. I’m finding a remarkable lack of classical liberals running for national office, a prospect I find troubling.)

Bush is my only choice right now. Ugh.

One more list of complaints about Bush - I agree with most of these:

http://www.tacitus.org/story/2004/8/26/95053/2301

National Guard records. Last February on Meet the Press, Bush pledged to Russert that he would release all of his records. As it turned out, Bush released all of his records stored in Colorado but not in Texas. It ticks me off that not all records have been released, and Bush-Rove have made me feel like a chump because I believed the administration when it said that all documents have been made available. Word of advice to Karl: It is unwise to make your grudging supporters feel like fools for accepting your statements at face value, and for conveniently not mentioning a few niggling details like your opposition to an Associate Press request to release the Texas records. I will not easily let that pass.

Negative ads. I don?t have a problem with negative ads, but I do have problems when they?re misleading, as factcheck.org has well documented. There?s no need to distort Kerry?s record. [Note: The reference is to ads on Kerry’s vote for the Iraq spending bills]. It?s bad enough as it is. Just look at his pitiful history on defense. The misleading ads play into the hands of the cash-rich anti-Bush 527s, who are ready to commence an onslaught of negative advertising in the coming weeks. They then can rationalize their distortions with the ?they do it, too? defense. As for 527s themselves, Bush played the politics of it one way, but his principles are wrong. Rather than condemning all 527 advertising, he should say that if any 527 ads are proven factually wrong, they should be pulled. Any ads that profess opinions, no matter how much Kerry doesn?t like them, are protected by the First Amendment and they should stay.

Campaign finance. Bush should have vetoed it in its present form. I know the Supreme Court said the bill was kosher, but I have serious problems with any curtailment of any speech, especially political speech prior to an election. Any organization that engages in political speech should have finances that are transparent, accuracy and immediately reported. 527s are fairly transparent but there are other tax-exempt ?non-partisan? entities that are not.

The Iraq War. I have no problem that Saddam was removed, but Bush sold it wrong, the post-war planning was bad and post-war operations have been poorly executed. We can still achieve success in Iraq (defined by me as a free non-theocratic and peaceful democracy), but our subpar performance to date has made it much more difficult than it had to be. So much of our success now depends on certain outcomes (Sadr, Fallujah, Zarqawi and his band of brothers, Allawi and his ability to move Iraq forward), and there remains an uncomfortably high possibility that the situation will turn against us. It boils down to the president having the sustained will to see it through. I think he has it but there are doubts.

Medicare. I was tepidly in favor of the Medicare reform bill, but there?s no excuse for the purposeful withholding of accurate cost estimates, which were $150 billion higher than what was presented before Congress.

The Occasional Communicator. His mangling the English language bothers me less than his infrequent appearances on the national stage. Bush needs to announce new initiatives, give more updates on the economy and the War on Terror and generally get his mug on more TV screens. Clinton was a master at it, and it?s a shame that this successful communication strategy is being ignored. Bush may say the words wrong or he may invent new and creative pronunciations, but people know what he means. The rapid response efforts in the administration are incompetent. Bush needs to get away from stage-managed pep rallies and open the gates to whoever wants to attend. Who?s the knuckle-dragging moron who thought that banning people wearing Kerry-Edwards T-shirts was a good idea?

The Environment. Bush has put forth no coherent message so it?s easy for his opponents to define one for him. He does have a policy but where is it consistently communicated?
http://www.bushforpresident.org/Environment/Brief.aspx
Accusations that he?s the ?worst environmental president in history? are laughable, but neither has he put forward a reasonable case. There?s a rich environmental heritage in the Republican Party, and Bush can call on the principles of Teddy Roosevelt and the Boy Scouts to pursue common sense environmental stewardship. Sadly, any environmental message from this Occasional Communicator seems to be accidental afterthought.

Lingering irritations. The Farm Bill is a big government boondoggle and it should?ve been vetoed. Steel tariffs and other trade restrictions were huge mistakes. Although spending has growth has slowed of late, Bush let it get out of control for too long. In effect, Bush has presided as a Big Government Preservative, as Jonah Goldberg so eloquently put it.

Tax policy. I?m in general agreement with it, but higher tax credits to offset the regressive nature of payroll taxes would have been welcome.

Darfur. Despite evidence of a genocide in progress, Bush has yet to pull the trigger and call it just that.

Societal Issues. I have a few quibbles here and there. The FMA was a sop to religious conservatives; legislatively, it was dead on arrival and there was put no point in introducing it except as a political marker. It fooled nobody.

BB,

When it comes down to it, a lot of these things are judgement calls. There is no proof that is going to force someone else to make the same judgement call as someone else.

I don’t argue that the president or administration did a bad job with respect to prisoner abuse for political reasons, but instead because I feel they were responsible for preventing it. In such a case there is nothing for me to prove, because the government has already admitted it has happened.

If I want to really convince someone else I guess I can try to show how they set the tone for things to happen directly by getting involved in rule changes and putting pressure on from the top. If they were competent at leadership they should have seen this coming. Can you argue with that viewpoint, yes, indeed. Does it change my interpretation if you offer an alternative to this point? Not at all. Neither by fact nor by opinion.

There is a difference between arguing fact and arguing opinion. In the land of politics both have their place, because when you get right down to it, a lot of it is subjective.

Gotta love the Liberal Op-Ed piece, toes the party line and gives alot of mantra and doctrine, but no facts. Emotion rules the day, not rational thought.

Vroom, in your last posting, I agree 1,000,000% when you said:

“There is a difference between arguing fact and arguing opinion…”

That quote you said, reminds me of last wekeend, I was at a seminar on the Battle of Gettysburg. And there were so many people that were giving their opinion. On General Longstreet. And it was when 4 people went and read the exact quotes, exact battle reports that, what they said had more weight as to what the others at the seminar said.

This is why so many people turn elsewhere like the internet for the news. Because many times the newscasters bring in their own viewpoints and opinions. Case in point the Athens Olympics. And those broadcasting the games made. And those comments that were made. Horrible, Very one sided. Or take like the New York Times giving a very liberal biase in there papers. Once the opinion gets mixed in with the facts, its very hard to try to see what is truth, what is opinion. And that is what is happening in so much of the mainstream press and media today. People are jumping the gun. Not thinking before they act. Not reviewing or researching the history of the hows and whys. Then putting their thoughts down on paper. Or thinking of the consequences if I say this or that. They just say it. Or again, bring out only one side. of the issue. And both sides of the aisle are guilty of this. And it will never change. Sad to say. Especially with the 527’s out there today.

Now as to the level of incompentcy. What that really boils down to is this. And this is where America is going to have to make some very tough decisions. When they vote. What is more important these days, the War on Terror, National Security, our intelligence, our military, or is it the economy, or domestic issues? And then from those issues, who will be the one to get the job done in these issues? Also I will add in there who can we trust more? WHo believes more in their convictions? Who is one who has a brighter future and plan for America? And finally I will add one last thing to this, who can admit I was wrong, I made mistakes. And not hide anything? Very tough choices America is going to have to make. And if many in the mainstream press and media, the musicians, actors, actresses, out there, would not be so opinionated,
and stick to the facts, and answer those above questions not one sided, Then many Americans’ who go to that voting booth, would be voting by conscience, not by something someone just said, and not review the facts, as to what they said. Or is there some validity as to what they said.

Joe

Chuck,

Nice balanced post. I think the issues you raise as concerns will leave the poor voter reeling, because both candidates leave a lot to be desired under those criteria.

Are you people stuck in a university footing or something? The quest for public opinion is not conducted with a thesis followed by a proof. This has very little to do with most of the population.

In any case, again, I’d say that the author felt that people would clearly understand what he was referring to. If you’ve been paying attention you know what both sides opinions are on all the points the author raises.

Why should he make an interesting article boring, driving down readership, just to quote the same old tired numbers that everybody will argue over once again? Using employment as an example:

• The employment numbers in total are down.
  • The recent numbers are going up.
  • Argue about interpretation endlessly.

Given it is a democratic piece, you should be able to tell precisely which interpretation the author has and there isn’t any point at all for the author to try to prove something the mainstream has already seen and debated ad nauseam.

Also, what is with trying to stick negative labels on the liberals all the time?

Vroom, I like if you would please educate me on some things about your country you live in Canada.

The Presidential Elections as they are run in the US these days, would they even allow the same type of campaigning, or ads to occur in Canada?

Would your governemnt allow the 527’s to even exist in Canada?

How much can one criticize the candidates before stepping over the line? Or the Prime Minister?

What is the attitude or opinions your friends fellow co workers, or your press and media have to the Presidental elections here in the US? Or even the US in General?

How is your country handling the War on Terror?

What you hearing on the openess of the borders between the US and Canada?

It will be great too vroom if you can also share with us, from time to time articles from your press and media. And educate us more on the form of government your country, has. For we here in America, have mixed views of your country. ANd I do feel many of us do not understand your country at all. Nor understood your views and opinions, where they are coming from.
AAnd I unfortunately am one of those too. And this is why I said the things I have to you in the past, in some postings. And was a little harsh in my words to you. And apologize for doing so with you And the more we see where you are coming from, and understand why you say the things you do, or understand your country of Canada, the better it will be for all of us.
:slight_smile:

Joe

Chuck, that is a pretty tall order you are requesting. I’ll see if I can start to provide a bit of information along those lines, but I’ll admit that I’m skeptical. I think most readers here would rather leave talk of Canadian issues out of the forums altogther.