The Real Iraq

This thread is for people in the states to be informed as to what is really going on in Iraq. Feel free to ask questions so I can direct my monologues specifically.

For a little background, I am an Active Duty Army Officer currently deployed to Iraq, and have been here for 10 months now. I was deployed as part of the surge. I have seen some good and bad things over here and would like to share my experiences with the men and women on this site to further inform our great nation about the real things going on over here, and not just what the media reports.

I look forward to a great dicussion with everyone…

How bad off are the Christians now? How bad has sectarian flight from Baghdad been, for example? What’s do you believe will happen when refugees come back in to discover their previously mixed neighborhood has been taken over by Suuni or Shiite sectarians?

Rogue,

Thanks for the offer, and thanks for your service. Stay safe, first and foremost.

Where are my manners?! Thank you TB, for remembering yours and reminding me. I hope you are doing well Rogue, and thanks for stopping in. Personally, my opinion of the war has changed, but not my respect for our soldiers having to make the best out of very difficult situation. Thank you for your service, and bless you and your comrades.

“Hey, hey, USA,
How many children did kill today?”

[quote]lixy wrote:
“Hey, hey, USA,
[/quote]

“How many children have you dug up today”, would probably be more accurate. The “freedom-fighters” have been busy little bees.

Meanwhile, the U.S. military said that Iraqi security forces had discovered a mass grave in Diyala province containing perhaps 100 bodies. Also Saturday, two separate bombings in the province northeast of Baghdad left six people dead.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080308/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq;_ylt=ApLfC.c_mmC84_HzAK8RyOZbbBAF

How bad off are the christians now?

The Christians are not doing too bad over here, I dont really come into contact with alot of them, but it seems as though no one is really bothering them. Many of them left the country after the invasion because of the lack of security.

How bad has sectarian flight from Baghdad been, for example?

When we first got here in June, we were on the forefron of sectarian violence in Baghdad. Things were pretty bad, people were getting murdered daily here becuase they were Sunni, living in a Shia area, or vice versa. Things have defintely improved since then.

We actually have several mixed poulation areas where they all get along just fine with noe issues, so I would say that we have captured/killed many of the sectarian activists in our area, ceasing the violence.

What’s do you believe will happen when refugees come back in to discover their previously mixed neighborhood has been taken over by Suuni or Shiite sectarians?

This is the question that we are dealing with right now. Since the security in certain areas of Bghdad has dramatically improved, we are seeing quite a bit of people coming back to the area. We are actually pushing the Iraqi government to come up with the answer to this question. this is purely an Iraqi problem, and it requires an Iraqi solution.

This is another step to the process of the Iraqi government taking more control of their population. There are mixed feelings about people of the different sects coming back into the areas, but so far things have not escalated to a violent level.

People are going to the Iraqi government to help them move back into their house or to remove the squatters that have since taken it over. Things will continue to improve in this area, as the Iraqis continue to solve their own problems.

Thanks for your kind messages of support, it means more than you know.

[quote]Rogue57 wrote:
this is purely an Iraqi problem, and it requires an Iraqi solution.
[/quote]

As opposed to Saddam Hussein who was threatening to blow up the USA with WMD he didn’t have, and delivery methods he couldn’t acquire?

Seriously though, what about the Shi’ite majority? Why aren’t the Shi’ite militants kissing your feet for freeing them from the Sunnis, and are instead doing their best to kill their “liberators”?

[quote]lixy wrote:

“Hey, hey, USA,
[/quote]

Rogue, you will quickly learn that Lixy is little more than disrespectful trash, and that he has no interest in learning about what is really going on in Iraq.

Hopefully, we can keep this thread on relevant topics and get some perspective from a man on the ground.

[quote]lixy wrote:
“Hey, hey, USA,
[/quote]

Fuck off scumbag.

Let’s not let this douchebag hijack yet another thread.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Rogue57 wrote:
this is purely an Iraqi problem, and it requires an Iraqi solution.

As opposed to Saddam Hussein who was threatening to blow up the USA with WMD he didn’t have, and delivery methods he couldn’t acquire?

Seriously though, what about the Shi’ite majority? Why aren’t the Shi’ite militants kissing your feet for freeing them from the Sunnis, and are instead doing their best to kill their “liberators”?[/quote]

Weren’t the real Shia leaders like the late Hakim and Sustani supportive of the US, and isn’t the government in Iraq run by Shia. I would think they are pleased to be free of Saddam.

Now for a real question:

Rogue, there’s another similar thread. I asked a question about the Sunni counter insurgency. How’s it doing?

Rogue, there are countless millions of Americans that support what you are doing and hope you can help bring peace to that region. I truly believe the world will be a better place for your work.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Rogue, there are countless millions of Americans that support what you are doing and hope you can help bring peace to that region. [/quote]

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

Lixy, stuff like this isn’t gonna help your case.

Rogue, do you have any weapons that can reach Sweden?

[quote]Rogue57 wrote:
This thread is for people in the states to be informed as to what is really going on in Iraq. Feel free to ask questions so I can direct my monologues specifically. For a little background, I am an Active Duty Army Officer currently deployed to Iraq, and have been here for 10 months now. I was deployed as part of the surge. I have seen some good and bad things over here and would like to share my experiences with the men and women on this site to further inform our great nation about the real things going on over here, and not just what the media reports. I look forward to a great dicussion with everyone. [/quote]

Could ya give a generic geographic location, and describe a typical day for yourself?

Rogue -

I thank you for your service, and your willingness to get on here and just answer questions.

Lixy’s bullshit terrorist loving antics aside, I hope she can be marginalized in this thread, if not completely ignored.

If you, or your unit needs anything - anything at all - please PM me.

I’d have a question about the political side of the effort.

Are you in a position where you can assess whether there is any political progress in Iraq? Do you feel as if the Iraqis are taking advantage of the relative peace provided by your efforts? Do you think they’ll have done enough during the surge for the stability to endure and grow after troop levels are reduced? Are there signs of social and civil structures being put in place?

Thanks for offering to answer those questions. It’s pretty amazing to be able to ask someone directly “on site” and not have to try and guess what the media has filtered out.

[quote]Rogue57 wrote:
This thread is for people in the states to be informed as to what is really going on in Iraq. Feel free to ask questions so I can direct my monologues specifically.

For a little background, I am an Active Duty Army Officer currently deployed to Iraq, and have been here for 10 months now. I was deployed as part of the surge. I have seen some good and bad things over here and would like to share my experiences with the men and women on this site to further inform our great nation about the real things going on over here, and not just what the media reports.

I look forward to a great dicussion with everyone… [/quote]

If this genuine, then I add my thanks for your service also.

Now, can you fathom why suicide bombers go into a marketplace, kill 50 or 100 shoppers and kids, yet consider that some sort of victory?

Why does what you are doing ‘create more terrorists’ but blowing up women and children is somehow a moral and courageous act? How does blowing up a market make terrorism more attractive?

Lixy wants to know because he sympathizes with these ‘liberating freedom-fighters’.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Lixy’s bullshit terrorist loving antics aside, I hope she can be marginalized in this thread, if not completely ignored. [/quote]

You do realize that he started the thread with the following words: This thread is for people in the states…

[quote]lixy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Rogue, there are countless millions of Americans that support what you are doing and hope you can help bring peace to that region.

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm[/quote]

Two reasons why that report is bullshit:

1. The media is the only informant on how things are going in Iraq. Usually, they only report the bad stuff, unless something good that has happened actually seems to interest them. Network stations only go for ratings, therefore, the small progress that is made is never reported to the citizens of the United States. Therefore, they never knew about what has happened, even if it was a small victory.

2. And, most people just stopped caring, so they do not really care any more that has happened in Iraq, which also limits their knowledge.