T Nation

The Rahn Curve and Economic Growth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj6lRFXC5rA&feature=player_embedded#!

I like how the narrator only talks out of one side of his mouth.

I also like how the hero of this video is a pirate.

Tight.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I like how the narrator only talks out of one side of his mouth.

I also like how the hero of this video is a pirate.[/quote]

True on both accounts. LOL

Excellent video John, thanks for posting. I wonder if our resident socialist/marxist/communists will be watching this.

Also, the Cato institute rawks, just sayin…

So, very interesting article here and it got me to wondering . . . what if the push for punishing taxes, increased insurance costs, dismal economic forcast, ballooning federal debt, massive federal spending, - - all designed to get US buinesses and investors to move their money and businesses into “favored” countries . . . thus spreading the wealth globally by indirect pressure on business thru direct economic pressure . . . . thoughts?

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

So, very interesting article here and it got me to wondering . . . what if the push for punishing taxes, increased insurance costs, dismal economic forcast, ballooning federal debt, massive federal spending, - - all designed to get US buinesses and investors to move their money and businesses into “favored” countries . . . thus spreading the wealth globally by indirect pressure on business thru direct economic pressure . . . . thoughts?[/quote]

Most ‘if-then’ statements contain a ‘then’ clause.

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

So, very interesting article here and it got me to wondering . . . what if the push for punishing taxes, increased insurance costs, dismal economic forcast, ballooning federal debt, massive federal spending, - - all designed to get US buinesses and investors to move their money and businesses into “favored” countries . . . thus spreading the wealth globally by indirect pressure on business thru direct economic pressure . . . . thoughts?[/quote]

Most ‘if-then’ statements contain a ‘then’ clause.[/quote]

lol - touche! I meant it as more of a hypothetical postulation rather than an if-then . . . should have added the “are” ahead of “all designed”

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

So, very interesting article here and it got me to wondering . . . what if the push for punishing taxes, increased insurance costs, dismal economic forcast, ballooning federal debt, massive federal spending, - - all designed to get US buinesses and investors to move their money and businesses into “favored” countries . . . thus spreading the wealth globally by indirect pressure on business thru direct economic pressure . . . . thoughts?[/quote]

Most ‘if-then’ statements contain a ‘then’ clause.[/quote]

lol - touche! I meant it as more of a hypothetical postulation rather than an if-then . . . should have added the “are” ahead of “all designed”[/quote]

I think human stupidity is more to blame than human evil.

I think the items listed in your ‘if’ clause are the unintentional effects of social-justice seeking policies as we currently understand them. After taking care of allies in the Daley machine, Unions, and various sub-groups that helped the Obama administration rise to power, I think much of the rest is just knee-jerk mainstream populism. Economic stimulus is a ‘can-do’ item for government to be seen doing something to alleviate an economic downturn. Soaking the rich with taxes is a populist reaction to the ills of balooning entitlements and terrifyingly large deficits.

I do not see a sinister or even misguided attempt to move capital away from the US and into Europe and the BICI’s. I’m fairly certain that if the current administration wanted to send capital to other countries, it would prefer to have it’s name and image engraved on it, and not rely on the invisible hand of the market to deliver business opportunities to others.

Besides, who’re the ‘favored countries’?

[quote]Otep wrote:

I think human stupidity is more to blame than human evil.
[/quote]

ignorance and evil are one in the same.

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:

[quote]Otep wrote:

I think human stupidity is more to blame than human evil.
[/quote]

ignorance and evil are one in the same.[/quote]

First, stupidity =/= ignorance. You can educate people. You can’t fix stupid.

Second, no man can be responsible for knowing everything. This does not make men evil, merely fallible.

Unless you equate those two as well.

He need not know everything, only himself.

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

So, very interesting article here and it got me to wondering . . . what if the push for punishing taxes, increased insurance costs, dismal economic forcast, ballooning federal debt, massive federal spending, - - all designed to get US buinesses and investors to move their money and businesses into “favored” countries . . . thus spreading the wealth globally by indirect pressure on business thru direct economic pressure . . . . thoughts?[/quote]

Most ‘if-then’ statements contain a ‘then’ clause.[/quote]

lol - touche! I meant it as more of a hypothetical postulation rather than an if-then . . . should have added the “are” ahead of “all designed”[/quote]

I think human stupidity is more to blame than human evil.

I think the items listed in your ‘if’ clause are the unintentional effects of social-justice seeking policies as we currently understand them. After taking care of allies in the Daley machine, Unions, and various sub-groups that helped the Obama administration rise to power, I think much of the rest is just knee-jerk mainstream populism. Economic stimulus is a ‘can-do’ item for government to be seen doing something to alleviate an economic downturn. Soaking the rich with taxes is a populist reaction to the ills of balooning entitlements and terrifyingly large deficits.

I do not see a sinister or even misguided attempt to move capital away from the US and into Europe and the BICI’s. I’m fairly certain that if the current administration wanted to send capital to other countries, it would prefer to have it’s name and image engraved on it, and not rely on the invisible hand of the market to deliver business opportunities to others.

Besides, who’re the ‘favored countries’?[/quote]

The favored countries would be states like Russia, etc. The ones whom are already starting to reap benefits from our economic policies and who are heavily courting foreign investment with incentives, tax breaks, etc

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
The favored countries would be states like Russia, etc. The ones whom are already starting to reap benefits from our economic policies and who are heavily courting foreign investment with incentives, tax breaks, etc[/quote]

Would these countries be favored by the Obama administration, or by the invisible hand of the market? The latter would make little sense, as water does not favor the ocean over the mountaintop, it just flows there, but I see little evidence of intent for the former.

Unless I’m just missing something.

[quote]Otep wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
The favored countries would be states like Russia, etc. The ones whom are already starting to reap benefits from our economic policies and who are heavily courting foreign investment with incentives, tax breaks, etc[/quote]

Would these countries be favored by the Obama administration, or by the invisible hand of the market? The latter would make little sense, as water does not favor the ocean over the mountaintop, it just flows there, but I see little evidence of intent for the former.

Unless I’m just missing something.[/quote]

That assumes 1 of 2 possible views of the Obama administration’s actions - unintended consequence or intentional design. If the former, then it is a matter of a lack of intelligence, if the latter than it is a matter of purposeful action - neithe ris a good choice . . .