The Question I Dont Think Anyone Will Be Able To Answer

[quote]shookers wrote:
You’re forgetting about our friend Mr. Gravity.

Doesn’t CT say rack pulls and long lock-outs are actually great for muscle growth but officially you’re not actually doing any “work”.[/quote]

the hell are you talking about?

if your muscle grows then what difference does anything else make?

YESSSS and slowing down on the eccentric causes even more micro tears (strong stimulus for growth).

You may lift a weight slower and have more tension per muscle fiber, but these fibers are the smallest fibers that have the least potential for growth.

“Hulk Smash!!!”

Big thank you for all the replies, some were very good.

However I think this answer is wrong;
[i]When you move a weight fast, you are recruited higher threshold motor units to do so, sharing the load amongst more motor units generates more force yes, but the actual tension placed on each of the muscle fibres is less due to more motor units being recruited.

Think 10 people pushing a car instead of 5[/i]

No one commented on this, which I think much be right, as read World and Physics dictates this;
[b]Lets say the biceps has 100 muscle fibers.

Lift 50 pounds, 50 pounds of tension on the biceps; the faster you lift the more tension is on the muscles. You can generate over 100 pounds of tension on 50 pounds when lifting fast. Just stand on a scale and side upright row 80%.

DB curl 50 pounds slow 4/4, roughly 50 pounds of tension on the biceps, roughly 70% of muscle fibers recruited, 70 divided by 50 = .7pounds on each fiber.

DB curl 50 pounds fast 5/.5, roughly 105 pounds of tension on the biceps, 100 % of muscle fibers recruited, 100 divided by 105 = 1.05 pounds on each fiber.

The fibers recruited would not be this low but lets just add them up.

DB curl 50 pounds slow 4/4, roughly 50 pounds of tension on the biceps, roughly 50% of muscle fibers recruited, 50 divided by 50 = 1 pounds on each fiber.

DB curl 50 pounds fast 5/.5, roughly 105 pounds of tension on the biceps, 100 % of muscle fibers recruited, 100 divided by 105 = 1.05 pounds on each fiber.[/b]

I have been VERY honoured, as I E-mailed Roger M. Enoka, Ph.D. And he replied, but I dont think I worded the question right (COULD ANYONE WORD IT BETTER, AS MY GRAMMAR IS CRAP) as this was his reply;

{Roger M. Enoka, Ph.D. Wrote
Wayne,

The force that a muscle must exert to move a load depends on two factors: the mass of the load and the amount of acceleration imparted to the load. The number of muscle fibers recruited during the lift increases with the speed the lift.

I hope this helps.}

Wayne

I had another reply, and my way of thinking and lots of the others here was right.

Wayne,

The number of muscle fibers activated to lift a weight depends on two factors: (1) the amount of weight; and (2) the speed of the lift. Although more muscle fibers are activated during fast lifts, they are each generating MORE force. We know this because the rate at which the muscle fibers are activated by the nervous system increases with contraction speed.

Roger M. Enoka, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Integrative Physiology
University of Colorado

Wayne

Now does anyone here see any reason to do slow reps like 4/4 ??? I do not, if so could you please state what you think they are. As in the faster reps, all muscle fibers are recruited, and subject to the highest tensions, and all muscle fibers are fatigued.

Here are my 8 ways why I think fast is better,

There will be more tension too each and every one of the muscle fibers, when you rep the same weight fast .5/.5 or 1/1 as to slow 3/3 or 2/4, this is what damages the muscle fibers with adequate Tension which will stimulate fiber thickness and growth.

There is a big difference in the poundage moved if the same weight is used. Which you have talked about.

If your doing 1 rep at 30/30 with 400Ibs = 60 seconds, will move =400Ibs

If your doing 10 reps at 2/4 with 400Ibs = 60 seconds, will move 400x10=4000Ibs

Faster repper would do 30 reps at 1/1 with 340Ibs = will move 360 x 30 = 10200Ibs

Faster repper would do 60 reps at .5/.5 with 340Ibs = will move 400x10=20400Ibs

In the slower reps you rest, take the tension from off the muscle far too long in the negative portion, in 2/4, rest 4 seconds, that give you muscles time to slightly recovery.

And also in the faster reps we have the transition from negative too positive, which makes for very high tensions on the muscles, we call them MMMT [Momentary Maximum Muscle Tensions]we do them you do not.

IF you can bench 500 for a 1RM, you would use 80% = 400 for a 2/4, and when lifting at 2/4 you would only be producing 400 pounds of strength from your muscles.

As it takes 500.5 pounds to move 500 pounds.

But only 500 pounds to keep it moving.

Basically when move that 400 for a fast rep, and also the fast reppers 1RM was also 500, he would be producing 500 pounds of strength from his muscles, when moving at a very fast rate, not only 400 and 80& of strength.

You have the sticking points in the slower reps, in the faster reps you not feel them at all hardly, as you will have the power to past them.

When using a faster rep speed you always fail faster in the faster reps. If you did 4 reps at 10/5 and failed on number 4, which is a TUT of 60 seconds, on the faster reps say 1/1 you would fail far faster at about a TUT of 40 seconds, however you would do far more reps 20.

So lets calculate how much power/strength I would have used on both rep speeds, and to be even more than fair lets say I could have done the same amount of reps on the slower reps, 2/4. I am using the bottom link, and lets keep the distance of 1.85 M the same ok, The first article is a great small read, and should put you in the picture more.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1863140

We can calculate that lifting a 200 lb barbell overhead a distance of 1.85 m required 1650 J of work.

You will notice that the time it took to lift the barbell was not taken into account.

Let us only add up the positive part of the lift.

The concept of power however, takes time into consideration. If for example, it took .5 seconds to complete the lift, then the power generated is 1650 J divided .5 s = 3300 J/s.

If it took 2 seconds to complete the lift, then the power generated is 1650 J divided 2 s = 825 J/s.

Wayne