The Quest to Be Strong and Athletic

I should prob change my screen name since I don’t compete in powerlifting anymore. Since i don’t know how it will stay for now. I am a former elite level powerlifter after several years of competing I have decided to loose some weight and get back into the kind of shape i was in when I played college football and when i wrestled.

I am very lucky i have worked for two excellent strength coaches and I have trained everything from soccer moms to pro athletes for the last 10 years.

I train three days a week M W F I am in the process of recovering from a car wreck so this should be interesting.

At the moment I do something sim to 5 3 1 but i like to mix it up as well.

I currently weigh 255 down from just over 300 a year ago. I used to comp at 242.

here are some clips to give you an idea where I am coming from

Please forgive me I have horrible spelling and grammer.

Jim

Monday oct 9/09

upper bench day

hang snatch 4X3 in between bench warm up

h s x10 with bar

hs x3 100lbs

x3 135

x3 155

x3 145

all very explosive and fast

cambered bench bar (nice big range of motion)
X5 315

x5 335

X6 335

incline dumbell press 100lbs 4X10 each arm (holding one arm locked out press one arm then switch)
I did these because i was too lazy to take out the big dumbells lol It is very tuff
here is a clip of one of my female athletes doing it

paired with kneelins scare crows 4X16

I have been powerlifting for awhile so i started to add some get pretty work so i can look better lol

seated plate raise
3X12 nice a slow and controled

paired with cable lateral raise 3X12

then i paired curls and tri extentions

All done.

I was pretty happy with the effort today considering my low back is killing me from my car wreck.

Jim

oct 7/09

wed squat day

I am still in alot of pain so i was happy with today

box squat off slightly below par box (narrow stance)

have not box squated in a long time
x5 405
x5 465
x5 500

was happy with this all reps were clean and easy

leg press very narrow stance loaded it up with all she could handle
4X12

roman chair rows (40lbs dumbells)
3X16

paired with heavy leg curls
3X8

calves paired with hip extention side laterals worked up to 100lbs dumbell for 12

2x(for fun paired pull ups X16

with side to side hanging leg raises)

on a side not one of my clients a 40 year old tennis player did this bar complex this week she is 105lbs … she is doing the complex with 75lbs i was very proud of her

Thursday the 8th

10mins mobilty work and 15 mins of hitting heavy bag

note to self:

don’t hit the heavy bag the day before an upper day especally overhead press.
hitting the heavy bag when your neck is already killing you from car wreck not a good idea either.
as i have started to harden up so to speak and i have lost weight my strength levels have started to suffer. Now that i have added more bodybuilding type stuff i am going to have to get used to the fact that i am going to be weaker on somethings and that is ok.

upper day oct 9

standing millatary
3X5 with 185 I was not happy with this at all I was in alot of pain but i battled through it.
as the work out went on i felt better …

seated hammer shoulder press
4X12

hammer rows
4x12

one arm snatch (i have not done these in years)
70lbs dumbell X12
80lbs X12
100 X8

i was pretty happy with that all thing considered

circuit of curls kickbacxks and flyies for upper back

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well since he’s too modest to post it himself.

Strong stuff in here, do you guys know if you’re going to be at the Lexen Fall Classic in a few weeks?

Looking good Jim.

[quote]Chi-Town Lifter wrote:
Looking good Jim.[/quote]

Thanks …

Great looking pit is it yours ?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Strong stuff in here, do you guys know if you’re going to be at the Lexen Fall Classic in a few weeks?[/quote]

It
would be nice too. Since I am
not compeating anymore I have not been to many meets. Some of
that might be fear or getting bit by the meet bug. Going to a good meet gets one fired up to get under the bar so to speak.

Dude you’re a goddamned tank. Noticed your av and your question to the other poster about his pit. I’ve got 3 razors edge myself. Best dogs on the planet.

[quote]squat1000b700 wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Strong stuff in here, do you guys know if you’re going to be at the Lexen Fall Classic in a few weeks?

It
would be nice too. Since I am
not compeating anymore I have not been to many meets. Some of
that might be fear or getting bit by the meet bug. Going to a good meet gets one fired up to get under the bar so to speak.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. A couple of us are going to be there since my girlfriend (Buckeye Girl) used to train at Lexen when she lived in Columbus and Detazathoth from this site is competing. Hope you guys make it up.

[quote]squat1000b700 wrote:
Chi-Town Lifter wrote:
Looking good Jim.

Thanks …

Great looking pit is it yours ?[/quote]

No, I have a similar looking half pit/half rotweiler that was rescued by my daughter. We’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old. The picture was the closest thing I could find on the web when I joined.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I know what you mean. A couple of us are going to be there since my girlfriend (Buckeye Girl) used to train at Lexen when she lived in Columbus and Detazathoth from this site is competing. Hope you guys make it up.[/quote]

well, take pics!

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Dude you’re a goddamned tank. Noticed your av and your question to the other poster about his pit. I’ve got 3 razors edge myself. Best dogs on the planet.[/quote]

Lol thanks
all my dogs are shelter dogs one
day i like to get a pit from a good breeder. Pits are such awesome dogs too bad people suck.

squat1000b700 wrote:
Chi-Town Lifter wrote:
Looking good Jim.

Thanks …

No, I have a similar looking half pit/half rotweiler that was rescued by my daughter. We’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old. The picture was the closest thing I could find on the web when I joined.[/quote]

That is great that u rescue pits … There are so many out there go on petfinder there are way more pits looking for
homes than any other dog it
is sad

squat1000b700 wrote:
Chi-Town Lifter wrote:
Looking good Jim.

Thanks …

No, I have a similar looking half pit/half rotweiler that was rescued by my daughter. We’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old. The picture was the closest thing I could find on the web when I joined.[/quote]

That is great that u rescue pits … There are so many out there go on petfinder there are way more pits looking for
homes than any other dog it
is sad

Jim, I’m looking forward to following along here. That is some impressive training (and coaching…it inspires me to see that girl who is smaller than me do that complex…wow!)

CBear, feel free to post more pix anytime. :slight_smile:

thank you

[quote]kimbakimba wrote:
Jim, I’m looking forward to following along here. That is some impressive training (and coaching…it inspires me to see that girl who is smaller than me do that complex…wow!)

CBear, feel free to post more pix anytime. :)[/quote]