T Nation

The PWI Required Reading List

In the shortest possible fashion: (Low on time today)

It really makes you consider whether revenge is worth the effort, if “living well is the best revenge” really is true, and what truly is justice.

It’s a statement on human will and the blurred line between good and bad in action, irrelevant the person doing the action.

And it really makes you evaluate why you make the judgements about people that you do.

https://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl/dp/0807014265/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

While I typically would never recommend a book without finishing it, I’m far enough along in this to do so.

I picked it up around midnight Thursday night, and was half way through by Friday afternoon. I’ve had to slow myself down to try and savoir it, and have some philosophical discussions with myself about some of the direct and indirect points he makes.

I feel like an ignorant buffoon who’s lived a shelter life because apparently I’m the only person alive who’s not read it, lol. But whatever, happy I’ve gotten the chance to, and happy I’m in a place in my life to appreciate it.

Highly recommend for anyone suffering or with loved ones suffering. Also for perspective for the rest of the unbroken crayons here.

Agree, Beans. Such a profound book. I brought Man’s Search for Meaning up again in June, while you were away. It’s one that I keep on my end table or desk. Really, I think you could read that little book every couple of years as a reminder, even if you think you’re fairly sorted. smile.

Along those lines. This has been one of those life changing books for me, and I do not hang out in the pop psychology/ self-help section. It humbled me.

Some well-written reviews below.

I’m sorry for the repeat then… My B.

But it deserves to be mentioned again and again.

Something so… I don’t know the word, but freeing about a Camp survivor not only clearly stating that suffering is relative, but using an analogy of gas dissipating in a room to do so. This guy got me, directly in the feels, and got me good.

It does. That book really resonated with me, too. I love to talk books.

You get the sense that some of these things are profound truths, eternal truths about the human condition. That’s certainly how I felt about Bonds That Make Us Free. Not an easy read, BTW. Way more scholarly than your typical self-help book. He’s a philosophy professor. I think he expands on Frankl in a lot of ways.

We’d like to think that we’re responding with grace, with openness. That our judgements are all reasonable. That we have it all together, or at least more together than the next person. Not living our lives in comparison to other people, etc… Growth is recognizing that you could be better, or that you’ve told yourself some things out of pride, or out of a sense of preserving your own self-image. That you may not be as good or as right as you think you are. That you have been less than you could be, and maybe you’ve blamed your shortcomings on other things, accused other people for messing you up. That’s a bit painful, and humbling to contemplate.

I mean Frankl’s book really destroys that argument. He’s all about how man can triumph, can live a profoundly meaningful life even in a concentration camp. So much of life’s experience is about our own internal attitudes, the state of our own heart, personal responsibility for how we react and how we feel, no matter the circumstances. Certainly some common themes.

Have a good week, Beans.

Thanks.

You too.

(There is a ton I want to say in response to your post, but that would be getting far too into “personal” territory.)

What is everyone reading right now? I have ran out of books to read and am hitting the obscure items that have sat in my wishlist for over 2 years.

I’ve been slogging through Wealth of Nations for a while now - I make some progress but then start reading other things.

Also reading Human Action - Ludwig von Mises. Another slog that requires slow and deliberate reading and reflecting that I’m reading in fits and starts.

Also, On Liberty - JS Mill. Pretty easy read tbh.

Also Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock b/c I like alternative pre-history - find it interesting.

Finally, Brothers Karamzov - Doestoyevski. 2nd read through.

Wrapped up Washington - A Life not too long ago (audiobook) which was a damn good listen.

Also wrapped up “What Does This Button Do?” - Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden lead singer) - kind of an uneventful listen but interesting if you’re into Maiden. Bruce is a character but it’s more of a overview of his life with very little detail other than his learning to fly.

Thanks, just put these three in my cart.

I’m reading a sampling of books from the Very Short Introduction series:

https://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/v/very-short-introductions-vsi/?cc=us&lang=en&

Very interesting. Nice find. What have you read so far?

I’m reading fiction at the moment (Dan Brown’s Origins)…

I did just get The Quartet in the mail. I’ve been wanting to read it for a while after @anon71262119 mentioned it.

I also just grabbed Meditations and am anxious to dig in.

Marcus Aurelious? I read through this once a month or so. It’s a solid 9/10 from me.

I can’t bring myself to read through fiction… especially when there is a movie.

Yup, Aurelius. I see it mentioned a lot, but haven’t touched it until now.

I like to throw fiction in every now and again as a guilty pleasure. Brown is somewhat formulaic but entertaining.

I did the same. After hearing about it for so long. I finally went on Amazon and it was like .99 used.

Another one that I enjoyed is ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’.

I’ll have to check that out.

Classics, Classical Literature, one of their Shakespeare titles, one of their OT titles, one of their NT titles, and a few others that escape me at the moment. All very good.

Same, but more in the cheesy category. Lies of Lock Lamora by Scott Lynch. It was a fun read. For some reason I love reading or watching con artist books/movies.

Have you seen Sneaky Pete on Amazon Originals? Pretty good show about a con artist - Giovanni Ribisi and Brian Cranston are in it

Reading Churchill’s multi part series on WW2. A biased tome from a man with a mixed bag of a record, but one I admire nonetheless.