The PWI Required Reading List

Yep, that’s the one. No, not a chess player. I appreciated his reflections on learning and the process with which he analyzed it.

1 Like

Yes, they are subdivided into Internal Family Systems, CBT, and etc. But any time you’re talking in therapy, it’s talk therapy. Schwartz says in the introduction to a video course on IFS:

The personal style of therapists is often as important as their techniques and theories. Therapists are usually drawn to approaches that mesh well with their own personality. Thus, while we can certainly pick up ideas from master therapists, students and trainees must make the best use of relevant theory, technique and research that fit their own personal style and the needs of their clients.

So it’s possible that your experience had much to do with both the style of the therapist and your own orientation toward body work, and if practiced by me would feel very different.

Actually, epistemology fascinates me. If anyone has suggestions on books, I’m open.

yea, I have a 45 min all highway with no toddler … Makes for some good listening time

1 Like

Yes, that was my point. If you are solid in your true self, you would recognize that they are reacting based on their situation. If you aren’t solid, you assume it’s about you because you are addicted to self. I really think we are on the same page.

I think this is really important. And the key term is react, rather than respond. If you can take a deep breath, and imagine you are watching a movie of your life instead of living it (tired trope, I know), then you can respond appropriately, out of love and compassion, rather than out of emotion - being “in story.”

This humors me because one of my short stories was published in GNU Literary Journal. Many call this serendipity but one of my mentors tells me that it is a sign that the universe is considering my case - it’s a sign the universe is watching me.

Lol. I wanted to name my dog Damnit so I could say “Sit Damnit” and “Get off the couch Damnit.”

I am familiar with Buteyko, but it’s different than regular breathwork. It’s more about increasing the carbon dioxide to ameliorate asthma. Other breathwork is focused on super oxygenating the body to release emotions, suppressed trauma, and moving energy - woowoo shit.

Thank you. The IFS work is new to me. I’ve been seeing another therapist for talk therapy for years and only recently started with the IFS therapist (October of 17) and it feels very different to me.

I read the IFS book but it was way too complicated for me to digest. Working with an IFS therapist has been phenomenal. Maybe it’s just her. The thing I like about it is that it supposed to give you the tools so you don’t need therapy - teach a man to fish.

Money!

Perhaps we should start a new thread to avoid derailing this one. I’m learning so much here.

I created a new thread in off topic for those that are interested in what I call woowoo.

1 Like

The GNU Literary Journal is print only, so I can’t post a link. I might find a way to make it available though.

It’s dreck really, so you’re not missing anything.

I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to participate unless it really has legs - I’m heading over to hang out with friends and late tonight my husband will return from out of town, then we have family stuff this weekend. But I’ll try to check in!

1 Like

The beauty of the webz is that the discussion will be there when you get back. Go enjoy real life, much more important.

But, it does seem to be getting legs.

1 Like

Hi there manuelp.

ReadingGirl

Sometimes people imagine that I have tremendous discipline to read so much, or be so consistent with exercise . It doesn’t require any discipline to get me to read or go to the gym.

I don’t have any specific goals about quantity, but sometimes I’ll make goals to try to understand a topic better. I usually have 2-3 books going at once. Maybe something more literary, then one or two that are nonfiction, and embarrassingly, there’s always a romance novel on my kindle (equivalent to TV or video games for me). I rarely, rarely watch TV or a movie because I prefer books. The Wall Street Journal or The Economist at the breakfast table. In January 2017, I made an intellectual goal to attempt to understand economics better, and that’s ongoing. I enjoy behavioral economics and psychology-oriented things, but can get really lost in market economics.

@ Time. Whenever I have a free moment, about twenty minutes on the treadmill, usually for about 30 minutes after lunch, and then often for a couple of hours in the evening. When my children were little, several years went by that I didn’t read much at all, unless I was reading books to them.

2 Likes

A movie or TV show is real life as well by that definition.

Or might make it more dishonest and embellished by the same account. For instance, more can be inferred/conveyed through body language AND verbal communication than through messages written on a message board. It can be easier to detect hyperbole through body language cues than through message.

1 Like

The act of making them is real. Real people making something, whose work (and that work is real, not imaginary, otherwise how could anyone see it) is then watched watched by real people.

Also, imagination itself can be called real as something imagined does exist in some form, even if it’s limited to some electrical impulses in the brain. Everything that happens, happens in the real world.

Come on, everything on the internet is true. People don’t have to lie when they can be anonymous.

Had never read it, but “Man’s search for meaning” is a must read. Some of the most profound stuff I have ever read.

The audiobook reader is a classically spoken English gent, so those of you who partake that way can do so.

3 Likes

Hitchen’s weekly column is excellent. I don’t agree with him on many issues, but he never fails to make his case with force.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

1 Like

I just wanted to say hello, @Legalsteel. Nice to see you. You’ve been missed.

Completely agree. I listened to it a few weeks back.

1 Like

Very kind of you to say, but I venture that you all muddled through without me.

I’ll be about more often in future, I am sure.

1 Like

Not sure you are aware, but you probably should have used past tense for Hitchens.

Great as he was, he did not escape the grim reaper.