The Pursuit of Mythical Gains

Thanks for the compliment. I feel like audience is a key component when writing. My log entries are mostly for me, so I am very brief in them. But when I write for narrative, I definitely like to tell a story.

I’m not a big Stephen King fan, but I really loved his memoir - On Writing: A Memoir on the Craft. He spoke at length about writing first drafts for himself, and then revising for his audience.

Education has its own jargon as well. I feel like jargon is often short hand for those in the know - but I also feel like sometimes it is to make the speaker feel smarter, ethos for the fans of rhetoric.

Yeah, I hear the same. I think there might be a challenge in there somewhere, lol.

(No) Progress Pic.

4 Likes

It’s true about writing…if you bore yourself how can you expect other people to enjoy what you write?

I would challenge you to a sleep off, but I would beat you so bad, it would be embarrassing (for you)!

Not sure if you ever posted a “before” pic, but I would not call that a (no) progress pic!

So, I am a king sleeper. I have been known to go to bed at three in the afternoon and sleep until five the next morning.

I am normally in bed by now - try to get up at three to make it to the gym by four.

If you scroll through the thousand posts, you will see a few progress pics, and there isn’t much progress after the first year or so, but I think that is normal - sort of - especially if you keep making the same mistakes - program hopping, not eating, etc…

I do think I look a little bigger than before, but I bounce around between 175 and 200. Everything fits better at 175 but I think I look better about 195.

Oh well, it’s just a journey.

1 Like

You’re kidding right? You look a TON better.

1 Like

Sleep challenge on then sir. The queen aboit to take the crown from the king!

You look great, think you are being a bit tough on yourself.

Lol, you go queenie!

Thank you - it is my nature.

I guess it’s up to each as far as appreciation of aesthetics. For reference, here is the last pic I posted - it’s from July of 2017 and I was 185 and about 13% per my bogus BIA.

And for reference, today.

And, from 2006.

2006%20-%20Cropped

Fast progress, then slow. I guess that’s the deal.

Sleep on champions!

That is impressive. Nice work

1 Like

Huge progress! Great job!

1 Like

You look fuller.

1 Like

that’s been a great journey you’ve had Myth.
What does the scale say these days?

So that’s like RPE 8, right?

1 Like

Averaging 189 weekly, at 15.4%, lol - bogus BIA. I’m probably closer to 18%.

2 Likes

Might be the lighting or angle of shot, but your abs look more defined and solid, probably a result of heavier lifts. Plus, you’re stronger, so you’re winning the game. Great work, man. And from my own log I can say we are usually our own worst critics…

Thanks! I do almost no direct ab work. I read a log a while ago about how bracing does enough and I took it to heart. Before beach weather, I do start doing weighted ab work, but the rest of the year, nothing.

So true!

I feel fat. My clothes fit tighter and that makes me feel fat. And, while I may feel fuller, my brain tells me it’s just fat covering what little muscle I have, lol.

I need to go all @MarkKO and eat like a champion.

2 Likes

Just go slow. Gradually increase your intake. Ditch the BIA for a few months and keep the mirror and scale.

2 Likes

Just my opinion…I think men look better fuller and heavier. I get the hard work it takes to cut…but I think they look better beefier and wider vs cut with abs…

1 Like

So you prefer the 220 pound 2006 version, lol?

1 Like

Well uh no. Your current pic is the best imo

1 Like

I’d say that depends on your frame and how you store your fat - if someone has a really small waist but stores most of their fat in their lower back/love handle area they probably look better lean

Something like 12-14% would probably be pretty good for everybody, you still have some padding and look big in clothes but you also look lean-ish without them

1 Like