The Pursuit of Mythical Gains

We are both pretty close to that 2 plate bench.
However for me the repcalculator puts me at about 235 lbs bench… and I know for sure I am not anywhere near that.
Probably close to 2 plates something like 210 - 215 (I’m having kg plates so 2 plates for me is 220).

And for squats everything feels heavy on the back.

Someday I really hope for that 1-2-3-4 plate thing press and bench I’ll get I’m sure. but squats seems to be far away, DL maybe.

1 Like

4-23-2018

C3W2D1 - OHP
45x10, 65x5, 90x3, 100x3, 115x10, 65x10x5 BBB
Curls 4x10

1 Like

Your workouts look like code. Takes me awhile to read it, but I get it! Nice work.

1 Like

4-24-2018

C3W2D2 - SQ
BWX10, 45X5. 95X5, 135X3, 165X3, 190X3, 215X9 (PR), 115X10X4
BPA’S and Crunches between sets, 4x25
Chin up 1x2 - Elbows protested, and got me really gassed. Might need to rethink programming these.

@littlelee - it is code. It means, “watch the weak old man get weaker.” Actually, I view it more as a record than an actual log. I typically discuss thoughts and programming and stuff in the narrative below the denotation of my lifts. Once you do get used to it, it’s really quick to read. Basically, you just go to the AMRAP or joker sets to see any progress. The warm ups and stuff in between are usually all the same compared to the last week. Work sets may be a little higher, but the AMRAP and the jokers are the only real difference. Should get mega boring pretty quick since it’s such a slow progression.

Edit - changed the main lift to squat, which is what it was, not BP.

2 Likes

Nice Pr Myth

Yeah it’s slow but it works

Agree with @mortdk- Quick and concise.

Some days my log shares my training and others it let’s me clear my head…like yesterday.

This place is educational and therapeutic.

1 Like

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I use it to vent as well. But usually, my workouts are just a function of logging.

Off topic, but are you still teaching? I lost track of that when you started your road trip last year.

Yes, still teaching the youth of America. Been working hard on focusing on the connection with kids and avoiding getting sucked into the drama of the administration, and it helps. Basically, I shut my door and teach.

2 Likes

The key to staying positive in teaching.

1 Like

I had a chat with my wife last night. She thinks I’m undermining the system by asking around to see if there’s a path for me that doesn’t require going back to school for 2.5 years for a PE degree.

The problem I have is that I already have the knowledge to do what I want to do. It seems like a waste of money to get another bachelor’s degree just so I can get licensed. If I’m going back to school then I should get a masters. It’ll actually be worth it because I’d make more money.

It’s too bad the state doesn’t have a strength & conditioning license. I have some time to figure it out. I’m staying with the department until my 10 year mark at the very least so I can get some retirement (25%).

They just passed a new city ordinance that allows me to buy back time. The time I spent with the highway patrol counts so I can give the city money in return for time of service. If I do that then my retirement would be based off of 13+ years if I leave at the 10 year mark. I could also leave around the 7 year mark which is only a couple of years away. Each year is worth 2.5% in salary.

It’s a lot to figure out. I plan to do something after I retire from the department whether it’s at the 10 year or 25 year mark. Hell, now that I think about it, I’d be 60 if I stayed for the full 30 years. I might not get another job if I stay that long.

Similar scenarios here. Teaching isn’t my first gig, but we only get 2% per year. So I’m kind of stuck for at least eight more years. Stuck is probably the wrong term because I like teaching. It’s just that teaching is only about sixty percent of my job. I have to do remedial twice a day, have “duty,” have CSE meetings, parent teacher conferences, stuff like that.

BTW, PE is a tough gig to get. I regret not doing it when I got my credential. English was an easier path for me, but I grew up playing ball, and my golf experience, I totally should have done the PE thing.

The education stuff is a pain. My situation is kind of convoluted, but I actually have essentially three master’s, but only one of them counts towards salary credit. Pretty frustrating.

My wife is required to get continuing education stuff and college courses are a big part of that. She’ll actually make more money as she accumulates credits. It only makes sense to get her masters since she’ll be going to school anyway. Luckily, her increased salary will easily pay the tuition back and then some.

If I get a masters my department will pay me an extra $25 a month! I already get $110/month for having a bachelors and a masters will get me $135. Not worth it.

I’m still going to try to create something for the department. Someone has to do it. There’s no reason it can’t be me.

4-25-2018

C3W2D3 - BP
45X10, 85X5, 120X3, 140X3, 160X13 PR, 85X10X5
Rows in between, 30x10, 35x10, 45x10, 50x10x3
Circuit - TPD’s 60x12x4, FP’s 60x12x4, Curls 30x6x4, Shrugs 65x12x4

Did an hour of Slow Flow yoga last night.

3 Likes

4-26-2018

C3W2D4 - DL
45X10, 85X5, 135X3, 155X3, 170X10, 120X10X4

Added dead lifts today rather than taking the day off.

3 Likes

@The_Myth this is probably better than my shitty description

Mark Kehrberg-Ostrasz on Instagram: "I suck at descriptions. This is for my Mythical buddy."

2 Likes

4-29-2018

C3W3D1 - OHP
45X10, 65X5, 95X5, 110X3, 120X9 (PR), 65X10X5 BBB
BPA’S in between

Circuit - curls, tpd’s, FP’s, shrugs - all 10x6 with increasing weights then a few back off sets. Got a really good pump from this.

Weight is steady, BF% going up, mirror looking better, WTF? I get discouraged by this, the whole weight and BF% thing, feel like I am treading water, which I probably am because of program hopping. Next time I think about changing programs again, somebody remind me of this.

Thanks for the link @MarkKO

3 Likes

How do you measure your BF%? If the mirror has you looking better I have a hard time believing you’re getting fatter and losing muscle (unless that’s your kink, I don’t know).

If it’s one of those scales, don’t hold it as the one truth. I hopped on one of those a while back and had it tell me I was 27% bodyfat, just laughed it off and continued on counting my veins

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve spoken about this before. I use a handheld BIA and am aware of its shortcomings, and know that mirror is what matters.

It still gets frustrating though. I should really just go back through all of my progress pics to remind me where I started.

I was 175@11% in August, am 192@16% now, ,and while I am clearly carrying a bit more fat, overall, I look much better.

Thanks for weighing in - pun intended.

4 Likes